Secret crippled nVidia GeForce 5900 Ultra?

Unit-0

Limp Gawd
I've been looking through Aquamark2003 scores lately and have stumbled onto something very disturbing/strange. From the link here (My Aquamark2003 Score) and here (jonspd's Aquamark2003 Score), it seems we both have nearly the same video card. However, his is a non-Ultra version, and apparently built "differently" than mine.

Pay close attention in the "Graphics Detail Information" -> "Graphics Card SubSys ID" section. As you can see, my card has a SubSys ID of "0". What does that really mean? I don't know... BUT, check out the following screenshot.

My 3DMark2001 Detailed Display Driver Information
3dmark_cap1.jpg

Where I have the arrows and question mark are the dubious areas I want everyone to consider. As you know, nVidia GeForce 5900 Ultras are supposed to support Pixel Shader 2.0 and Vertex Shader 2.0 - how come mine says differently??? Zero Max Vertex Blend Matrixes? No "Sub-system"?

I recall buying my video card (eVGA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra) very early in October 2003 from www.gameve.com. Could the vendor have done something awful to the card? Could the manufacturer possibly done something in their rush to get the first GeForce FX out to the market?

Please look again at the Aquamark GFX score for both jonspd and mine. There is a 178 point lag of my card compared to jonspd's.. when in fact mine should be the superior card (256MB RAM, 483/960 mhz vs 128MB RAM, 466/947 mhz).

If someone knows anything about this, or have a similar card to compare with, please reply.

3dmark2001 is a directx 8 benchmark, check 3dmark2k3's system information section, I bet it turns out right.

Originally posted by grimey
3dmark2001 is a directx 8 benchmark, check 3dmark2k3's system information section, I bet it turns out right.

Just getting ready to type in the same thing:)

Originally posted by grimey

Whew, you're right. Pixel & Vertex shaders are fine 3DMark2003 ... except there's still 0 Max vertex blend matrices and 0x0000000 in the Sub-system ID.

3dmark_cap2.jpg

People have this "Sub-system" thing, and I want it ! =\
Also, how do you account for the superior performance of the inferior Geforce card to mine?

He does have 380Mhz on you. I realize that yours is a A64, but 380Mhz is still pretty significant. He also probably have much more bandwidth with his higher FSB. Thats probably why his score is so close.

I don't think that 3dmark2001 can handle the newer cards try
Aida32
real neat and strong!
My card shows ok except for the overclock Gpu shows 475 but properties page shows 525 (using coolbits)

Originally posted by fallguy
He does have 380Mhz on you. I realize that yours is a A64, but 380Mhz is still pretty significant. He also probably have much more bandwidth with his higher FSB. Thats probably why his score is so close.

He may have 380mhz on me, but the A64 still kicks his AMD Athlon XP in terms of performance, evidenced by 9806 CPU score on his 8668 CPU score.

The big mystery is the 6047 score on a superior card versus 6225 on an inferior one. Keep in mind all settings within Aquamark are the same. We both have the same nVidia Forceware versions too. Hmmm...

I know you have a A64. But he probably has higher bandwidth, and still has 380Mhz over you. I still think thats the largest reason why his score is so close to yours. Also, perhaps his driver options wer turned all the way down, and yours were not?

I know the core Mhz throttles down in Windows, does the memory also on the 5900U?

Hey Fallguy From what I've seen the mem stays the same, but I thought the gpu core only throttles down when temps go above 140c For some reason 3dmark and Aida show lower numbers than the properties page when overclocked, any thoughts?

Well I was talking about when hes in 2d mode, it down to 300Mhz, like it should be. I wasnt sure if the memory went down when in 2d mode though.

As far as going down when it gets too hot, I dont know. I really doubt it will get 140c though.

Back