Secret Backdoor In Some Android Phones Sent Data To China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you that use disposable or prepaid Android phones should know that some have been recently found to have a secret backdoor that sends all of your text messages to China. You know, that could actually be fun if you knew about the backdoor ahead of time.

Security contractors recently discovered preinstalled software in some Android phones that monitors where users go, whom they talk to and what they write in text messages. The American authorities say it is not clear whether this represents secretive data mining for advertising purposes or a Chinese government effort to collect intelligence.

so now "Big Brother" means not just the US government, but also the Chinese government....

*dons tinfoil hat*

Doesn't surprise me. Last few years we have had a huge increase in huwai, Alcatel, and zte phones all from China being sold for cheap on these prepaid options (mostly Straighttalk but att and Verizon a bit too). I wouldn't touch one of their phones with a 30 foot Pole personally. I mean on their best day they are as good as the worst from lg and htc.

I heard about this from my group chat, from an iOS user no less haha.
I'm on an LG, bootloop-included, device, so I have bigger things to worry about lol.

Funny thing is everyone does it. Especially Google. It only goes bad when someone discovers it.

There is a reason why phones are filled with crap from factory. Just as PCs.

Google for example pays Apple a billion $ a year for that access.

I'm good. I'm sure the only people spying on my phone is Google, Sony (the maker of my phone), and probably the US government somehow.

It's only bad when "China" or "Russia" does it hah. Never mind Google investing billions upon billions in the very same thing

I dont think they spy as such, just like the rest with the exception of the NSA obviously. But they want your meta data. Meta data is huge for all big data companies and worth a lot of money.

Exactly like CarrierIQ, except it's chinese manufacturers this time.

So, all of you laughing and calling me overly paranoid for refusing to buy Chinese made smartphones now have some crow to eat.

Looks like both ZTE and Huaiwei are affected.

send test messages asking if the person wants some roasted cat and string beans?

It's only bad when "China" or "Russia" does it hah. Never mind Google investing billions upon billions in the very same thing

All of them do it, Google is clear as day and do very little to hide the fact, but so does Apple, but because the servers its contacting are in China all of a sudden "OMG!!! My privacy!!!".

Reactions: dgz
like this
so now "Big Brother" means not just the US government, but also the Chinese government....

*dons tinfoil hat*

They produce all of your electronics already..... Makes you wonder about the cheap chinese knockoff NICs and any other communication device. Easy way for them to have back doors in all of them to eavesdrop on US data without you knowing. Same thing US has been doing for a while with telecom equipment.

Back