Secondary disks don't show up in win10?

nightfly

2[H]4U
Odd. I have a win7 64 machine. 4 ssds. Boot drive is a samsung 120, a samsung 500, a crucial 128, and an imation 16. So, I disconnect all, remove the win 7 boot drive. Replace with a blank ssd, install win 10. No changes in the bios, set to ahci.
After the successful install of win 10, I shut down the computer, and reconnect the other three ssd's (a samsung 500, a crucial 128, and an imation 16). Reboot, and non of the reconnected data ssds are visible to win 10. They're still there in the bios, but under disk management, only the win 10 boot drive shows up. I tried rescanning for changes, but no dice. Does nothing.
bios is set to ahci throughout all of this. It's an intel D77SL 50K MB with a 3770k proc, 16 gb crucial ram in 4gb sticks.
Wondering, I shut down, remove the win 10 ssd, and plug in the win 7 ssd. Everything shows up.
Wash, rinse repeat.
No change. So, what's wrong with the win 10 install that it can't see the other ssd's at all? All are accessible with win 7 64.
I'm out of ideas.

do they get detected in disk management?
Nope. Under win 10, none of the secondary disks show. Under win 7, all of them do.
While running win 10, I tried rescanning. No go. Still none of the secondary ssds show up at all.

id guess some sort of chipset/sata drivers missing
Though, the boot ssd shows. So that's not it.

No changes in the bios between switching the boot ssd's.

Last edited:
you never said what platform you are running so i am going to suggest installing chipset drivers just to give it a shot.

do they show up in device manager? are they encrypted in the win7 install?

id guess some sort of chipset/sata drivers missing
and
you never said what platform you are running so i am going to suggest installing chipset drivers just to give it a shot.

No new intel drivers for win 10, so have to use the microsoft written ones that come with win 10.

do they show up in device manager? are they encrypted in the win7 install?
Win 7 works fine. It's the win 10 install that cannot see the drives.

I get that. so under 10 device manger they do not show up at all? that's what I was asking. do you have any antivirus or security suite anything like that on the win7 install? something that could be blocking 10's access. or are these two fresh installs with nothing but drivers?

if you move the win10 boot drive, to the sata ports that do not show up in device manager, does it still boot?
Since they are seen in the bios, but not device manager (I assume there are no unknown devices in device manager, and that the IDE/Atapi section isn't 'generic' and shows Intel xyz..) that maybe Win10 isn't supported on that board?

I get that. so under 10 device manger they do not show up at all? that's what I was asking. do you have any antivirus or security suite anything like that on the win7 install? something that could be blocking 10's access. or are these two fresh installs with nothing but drivers?
I had avast for a while under win 7 but got rid of it (the drives were already in use before I tried avast). Still, I'd think even if I couldn't access them, they would show up physically in disk management. No encryption or anything like that active.
if you move the win10 boot drive, to the sata ports that do not show up in device manager, does it still boot?
Yes. Then I tried booting with the other disks added, tried each separately, with no luck; the machine boots, but the drives still show up in the bios, but not in disk management in win 10.
Since they are seen in the bios, but not device manager (I assume there are no unknown devices in device manager, and that the IDE/Atapi section isn't 'generic' and shows Intel xyz..) that maybe Win10 isn't supported on that board?
No, there are no unknown devices in disk management.
Both the win 10 boot ssd and one of the secondary data ssds are crucial m4's, with the same firmware.
If win 10 wasn't supported by the board, I'd think that the boot drive wouldn't work either.

try deleting the partion on the affected drives / change format..
Not going to erase the current drives, but I will make a new one, first under win 7 to see if that one is seen by win 10, and then another under win 10 and see if win 7 sees that one. I have spare crucial, samsung, sandisk and corsair ssds available. As to keep the most things the same, I'll use crucial m4s as my test drives for all this.
To avoid any potential contamination, I will update their firmware on a separate machine.
Be back with results when I'm done.

I really need something to take my mind off the pounding the Jets just got from the Pats.

yeah something in win7 has locked them down or they are not config'd correctly. win10 is not the issue is whatever has happened under win7.

I went to take a snapshot of everything before changing, but noticed something (You were onto something, but the reverse, it was a problem in win 10). I had shut down win 10 defender and firewall. Somewhere along the line, they restarted themselves. Once I shut them down again in win 10, also shut down all the messages regarding firewall, virus, spyware, smartscreen, and rebooted, then wa-la, all the drives appeared. I might go back and enable everything again then try to figure out which item did it, one at a time. That's for another day.

So, it has something to do with one of those settings or programs in win 10. Don't know which one. But at least I accidentley solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Back