Second video card not showing up (3090 + 3070)

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I haven't ran dual video cards since the Voodoo2 days so bear with me. My main PC has a 3090 in it that I'm using to mine with Nicehash about 23 hours per day. A buddy of mine sold me his 3070 (since he landed his own 3090) and I figured why not, I'll throw it in my same rig and mine with 2 cards. 850w EVGA gold power supply. I threw it in my full-sized ATX motherboard's second full PCI slot, plugged both 8-pin connectors in and fired it up. It's lit up, the fans are spinning, but Windows 10 doesn't recognize it.

In Device Manager, I clicked on View - Show Hidden Devices

Then, the 3070 shows up under Display Adapters. However, it's grayed-out. Reseating the video card and rebooting the PC does nothing.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
If you double click the 3070 in device manager does it have an error or message listed? Maybe something about being unable to start the device or something like that? Either way, I would start with reinstalling the Nvidia Driver if you haven't already, and see what happens. It should use the same driver you already have installed, but I've had to reinstall the driver when adding another card before on various PC's to get it to recognize and work properly.

I haven't ran dual video cards since the Voodoo2 days so bear with me. My main PC has a 3090 in it that I'm using to mine with Nicehash about 23 hours per day. A buddy of mine sold me his 3070 (since he landed his own 3090) and I figured why not, I'll throw it in my same rig and mine with 2 cards. 850w EVGA gold power supply. I threw it in my full-sized ATX motherboard's second full PCI slot, plugged both 8-pin connectors in and fired it up. It's lit up, the fans are spinning, but Windows 10 doesn't recognize it.

In Device Manager, I clicked on View - Show Hidden Devices

Then, the 3070 shows up under Display Adapters. However, it's grayed-out. Reseating the video card and rebooting the PC does nothing.

Any ideas?
Adding cards .
you may want to uninstall GPU drivers and Afterburner and reload.
Then maybe mess around with Device manager
Then maybe switch card locations -
reinstall

Also you can look in the windows event viewer and see if there are errors. You may also check your motherbord’s PCI-E slot configuration against the CPU PCI-E lanes.

I had a X99 board with a 6800k and when I first bought it I tried putting three graphics cards into it. Only two recognized. The bottom card powered up but could not be recognized by windows. I looked in my motherboard manual and it said I had to have a 6850k or above CPU in order to recognize the bottom PCI- E slot when configured with a NVME drive (IIRC). I went to Microcenter and bought the 6850k and it immediately recognized all my cards in windows because that upgraded CPU offered the additional PCI-E lanes I needed to run the bottom PCI-E lane.

What type of motherboard?

What type of processor are you running?

Also take a look at bios to see what is showing up for pcie settings.

Back