second stage of my first watercooling project ... THE WINDTUNNEL!!

fr33ze

Gawd
this is a follow on write up that continues following the mods i'm doing to my case for watercooling. If you missed the first part you can find it in this thread....

here

had a bit more time on my hands the last couple of days so i decided to do the next step and as you can guess from the thread name it's the windtunnel.

first step is to cut some of the motherboard tray off cuz it's directly where the air flows and radiator is going to be.
fr33ze1-PICT0531.JPG

fr33ze1-PICT0532.JPG

I had to use my dads old skool hacksaw for this cuz i've run out of cutting discs for my replica dremel, gonna need to get some though so that i can cut the intake and exhaust holes for the fans.

Here you can see the motherboard tray back in situe. You can clearly see the other sidepanel now whereas before you couldn't. Did a couple of others mods to my mobo while i had it out the case. added some sinks to the mosfets and southbridge and also tried to solder some wires to the back of the cpu socket so that i can easily turn the L12 mod on and off with a jumper (this didn't work though, need to get the board back off to check why).
fr33ze1-PICT0537.JPG

and now for making the windtunnel, i used some polyprop sheets that my dad got from work, it's nice and easy to work with and cuts a lot easier than sheet metal would. here you can see the windtunnel starting to take shape, it's clear where the air will be flowing, in one side of the case and straight out the other...
fr33ze1-PICT0538.JPG

heres another with the rad in place and an extra bit of polyprop to make sure all the air passes through the radiator and none round the sides.
fr33ze1-PICT0541.JPG

even in the stupidly big case i've got there is only only just enough room to fit the pipes in without them crimping, i recon 5mm less and i would have been buggered.
fr33ze1-PICT0540.JPG

next job on the list was to cut the holes in the side panels for the fans. I needed to get some cutting discs for this but it was like £15 for 5 at the local DIY, sod that for a laugh. Ended up buying some metal blades for my jigsaw for a third of the price and i recon they did a better job, much quicker than drememling. Here you can see the holes cut and the panals after a quick respray.
fr33ze1-PICT0542.JPG

Final pic for this part of the write up is with the sidepanels back on, i'm well pleased with the results, looks well nice.
fr33ze1-PICT0543.JPG

I'm just waiting on a bracket to arrive in the post now so that i can mount the block on my chip (don't have the 4 holes). when i get this i'll install all the other components and get some results and do another write up. can't wait for it to get here.

UPDATE No. 1

Bracket didn't come in the post today so in true [H]ard style i tried to make my own...
fr33ze1-PICT0545.JPG

needless to say it didn't work. couldn't get a proper seat on the cpu and gave up cuz i didn't wanna fry my chip (i've had it running at over 2.6ghz before on air so it's gonna be good on water when i finally get this rig running).

going on holiday tomoz so theres gonna be no updates for a week or so, i'll keep you all informed when i get some results.

Looking good mate,

but why not just keep to one thread instead? You can update the first post as you progress instead of creating new ones when ever you change something.. :p
Just a hint so that you won't get those moderators after you..

Originally posted by knaSen
Looking good mate,

but why not just keep to one thread instead? You can update the first post as you progress instead of creating new ones when ever you change something.. :p
Just a hint so that you won't get those moderators after you..

fair point, i did think about it but i don't know how you can change the name of a thread cuz what i've done is the second step if you know what i mean.

it's not like i'm spamming or anything i'm just restarting the interest in my work.

any mods reading and you don't want me to do this just pm me.

and 500 posts, w00t

Originally posted by fr33ze
fair point, i did think about it but i don't know how you can change the name of a thread cuz what i've done is the second step if you know what i mean.

it's not like i'm spamming or anything i'm just restarting the interest in my work.

any mods reading and you don't want me to do this just pm me.

and 500 posts, w00t

No I didn't mean to be rude or anyting, I was just giving you a hint..
And if you want to edit the name, I think you just have to edit the first post. (Just click the edit/delete-button ang change "post subject:")

nw mate, didn't take it as being rude. i think i've tried that before, just tried again now and all it does is change the small print at the top of a post not the name of a thread so i wouldn't really of had the desired effect.

thanks for the advise anyway

Looking good! Be sure to post your results. :D
Did you just glue the polypropylene together?/What did you use?

Looks nice

Is that a stock AMD heatsink I see on your video card?

I did the same thing :D (mine looks better now, got the right screws for it :p

gpuhsf.jpg

just curious, but is your rad more efficient now that it's in a "windtunnel" setup???

Looks like you'd have room enough in there to add a second rad that size if you wanted too.

Looking good! Be sure to post your results.
Did you just glue the polypropylene together?/What did you use?

I got a bit lazy after taking the picture and just used some tank tape to seal it up, it's all fairly sturdy without the tape and i thought seeing as noone is gonna be seeing it after the sidepanel is on what does it matter, means it'll be a bit easier to take it apart as well if i need to.

Looks nice

Is that a stock AMD heatsink I see on your video card?

It sure is, made quite a bit of difference to how high i can push the core, i'd like to get a water block on it though cuz the fans gonna be the noisiest thing in the case as soon as i get the watercooling running.

just curious, but is your rad more efficient now that it's in a "windtunnel" setup???

Looks like you'd have room enough in there to add a second rad that size if you wanted too.

I don't know if the rad's gonna be more effecient for sure because this is the first time i've ever used water cooling and i havnt had it running yet (still waiting for that dam clip) + i won't have done any tests with it mounted in the traditional way.

I'm hoping it will be more effecient though because it gets rid of the fan 'deadspot' and the air passing through it is at ambient and not warm like it would be if i had the radiator taking air from inside the case so it should help.

the only way i could get another radiator in there would be to mount them in series so to speak and i don't think i'd gain much from doing this.

Originally posted by fr33ze
It sure is, made quite a bit of difference to how high i can push the core, i'd like to get a water block on it though cuz the fans gonna be the noisiest thing in the case as soon as i get the watercooling running.

If you still have the stock fan for it, you can run that on 5 volts and you can't even hear it. I overclocked my 9600XT a fair amount and the heatsink is still cool when i touch it.

Originally posted by Grizzy
If you still have the stock fan for it, you can run that on 5 volts and you can't even hear it. I overclocked my 9600XT a fair amount and the heatsink is still cool when i touch it.

yeah i know and i've thought about this, might have to do it as an iterim thing till i can get a bit of cash for a water block. all my other fans in my case i can run at either 12/7/5v by flicking switches.

i don't really wanna sacrafice the overclockability though.

Originally posted by FLECOM
nice inWin Q500 ;)

lol, i got no idea what you mean by that.

cheers for the props everyone, as soon as the bracket gets here i'll post my oc and temp results. Gunno be gutted if it's not here tomoz though cuz i'm going on holiday and it'll be a full week before i get to play.

f**king clip still isn't here two weeks later, really not impressed with the service wetandchilly chips are offering, they've had my money but no sign of my clip at all, not even an email to confirm the order. gonna have to chase them up me thinks.

and a bump

Back