Second Monitor/Laptop to the left or right?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I had my office setup with my main monitor right in front of my chair with a laptop stand to the left of the main monitor. I really liked this setup, but everyone could see what was on my laptop screen. Today I switched it to the left of the main monitor and switched everything around on my desk. Its crazy how much getting use to this setup its taking. Overall I think this setup is better, the laptop screen cannot be see by anyone unless they are sitting in my chair and the main screen has Outlook open all the time anyways so that dosnt much matter.

Anyways how do you have your dual monitors setup? Oh and I use Synergy if anyone is wondering to share the keyboard and mouse.

Left, always. Makes easy access to the scroll bar and buttons. Also does not screw up your background if your main monitor changes resolution.

Primary on left and secondary on right.
mini9-2.jpg

Advantages of left: Doesn't get messed up if main screen changes res. Puts start menu in the middle.
Advantages of right: If you enable/disable monitor #2 frequently, you don't have to drag it over to the left every time you enable it.

Of course in an idea setup you don't think about this sort of thing, as in an ideal setup you have more than two screens.

I think I am getting use to it now. It seems more natural to have it on the right. But it has severely decreased my mouseing area.

it has severely decreased my mouseing area.
use a trackball mouse (I suggest the Logitech Trackman wheel optical corded).
Got one for presentations where the podium has minimal space for moving a mouse since I can't stand the touchpad..
Once you get used to it, you'll never want a normal mouse again.
I have it on my intuos 3 lower left corner.
As for monitor setups, it really depends on your workflow and monitor sizes.
I have a 17' notebook on my left, as primary, and a 24' on the right with my wacom and trackman under it.
In a production office, I have a 30'er on top of a13' laptop since it is huge and further away..

Last edited:
Back