Second Hand Cisco Hardware - Do I need a licence to use them?

Jay_2

2[H]4U
I am wondering if I have to contact CISCO if I use second hand Hardware? eg Routers, Switches etc?

Just to use the device, you don't need a SmartNET contract. If you want updates, support, instant replacement, then you will want the SmartNET contract. For production devices, most of my customers have the contract on their devices.

Doubtful. I have a rack full of second hand routers and switches for certification practice and one router as my main router at home that I bought off of ebay...

nope, no licensing required to just use the stuff. If you want warranty or replacement then you need to buy a smartnet, if it is new enough to still be able to purchase a smartnet. :D

The EULA for IOS states that the license is not transferable. Most other software licenses work the same way. Cisco's official stance is, if you bought it used from eBay, you'd need to purchase a license for IOS in order to legally use the software and you'd need to get the equipment inspected by an authorized party before you can get a service contract on it.

Edit: Here is the supporting link:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/hw_sw_relicensing_program.html

thats a bit of a pain....

So I can buy a secondhand PC with OEM windows and that is transferable but not IOS/

I wasn't aware the Windows OEM license was transferable from the original owner. But at any rate, no...the IOS license is not transferable.

OEM XP/Vista should not be trasfered but Microsoft generally allow it if the PC is sold to a new user.

Also XP and Vista retail can be trasfered no problems.

Cisco Licensing is interesting, I thought that the license was bound to the device but you are only allowed to use that version and cannot upgrade it without a smartnet contract

I know that if the device currently has smartnet, the entire thing can be transferred to a different owner just via website.

As for MS licensing, its all bs

Cisco licensing and the cost of it is the biggest thing that makes us look at other vendors' gear first.

Yes, we run the Cisco ASA platform but I refuse to consider their catalyst switches.

I bet our IOS licenses are transferrable because we are a governmental agency and the stuff is sold under government contract terms. So I bet I could transfer it to another government agency who is on the same contract. But not to a private entity.

A lot of the fixed Catalyst switches now come with limited lifetime warranties and free software upgrades. But I'm not aware of any hardware other than that which comes with the same deal.

What are you asking about them? Can you cover them with SmartNet? Depends...you have to look at the EOL notice and look for the last day of support. It will tell you when the last day is to purchase SmartNet.

A lot of the fixed Catalyst switches now come with limited lifetime warranties and free software upgrades. .

Really?? That is excellent news!! I do like the Catalysts, just didn't want to pay big support fees every year to get updates. I would very much like to run Catalysts at the edge. We're running Nortels right now (55xx series Ethernet Routing Switches) and the UI is very quirky on them.

I guess when you mention "fixed switches", an example of a non-fixed switch might be something like a 6509 with user removable port cards?

For those that are too lazy to read through it:

SOFTWARE UPDATES

Q. For which fixed configuration and stackable Cisco Catalyst switches can I obtain a `no additional cost' Cisco IOS Software update?
A. Cisco offers ongoing Cisco IOS Software updates at no additional cost for the fixed configuration and stackable Cisco Catalyst switches listed below. Updates within the Cisco IOS package purchased (LAN Base, IP Base, IP Services, and so on) will be made available for the life of the product.
• Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2900 XL Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2948G-GE-TX Series Switch

• Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2950 LRE Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2955 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2970 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches

• Cisco ME 2400 Series Switches

• Cisco ME 3400 Series Switches

Note that upgrades are different from updates. For example, an upgrade from the IP Base Package to the IP Services Package provides significant new function; therefore, this upgrade requires the purchase of a software license upgrade. Updates are incremental software features and bug fixes that are released within a Cisco IOS package that you own a license for. This statement supersedes any previous warranty or software statement and is subject to change without notice.

Q. How do I get a `no additional cost' Cisco IOS Software update?
A. Customers who own a software license for any of the switches listed above may obtain a software update at the Cisco Website by clicking Downloads and selecting Switch Software. To download software, you will be required to log in using your Cisco.com username and password. If you do not have a Cisco.com username, you can obtain one by clicking Register at the top of any page on Cisco.com.

Back