Seattle Tops Most-Wired Cities List

HardOCP News

[H] News
Forbes has put out a list of the Most Wired Cities in the U.S. and Seattle took the number one spot. Must be all the Starbucks. :)

It was Seattle's increased use of broadband that powered it up Forbes' annual list of the 30 most broadband-connected cities in the U.S. High marks in two other wired city categories--broadband access and wi-fi hot spots--helped Seattle clinch the top spot.

I use Comcast here in Seattle and all I can say is that service and speed has been diminishing , as the price has gone up.

I do have the choice of DSL in my neighborhood and have used it in the past, but no FIOS still.

I've always wanted to go to Seattle, just another reason here..

These rankings are totally ridiculous. Yes, I live in Seattle proper, but I really can only get either 7mbps DSL from Qwest (ewww) or Comcast (also ewww). Both are over $70/month and the service has inconsistent speeds/reliability.

The reason that Seattle may have moved up the list is that Verizon offers fios OUTSIDE the city (north and north-east of Seattle). That shouldn't count.

I WANT FIOS IN SEATTLE! UNTIL THAT HAPPENS SEATTLE IS NOT "WIRED"!

/rant

I live right next to UW Bothell. Comcast speeds are off the scale and Verizon offers FIOS. Lots of people using satellite. Plenty of open and locked down WiFi from my neighbors as well.

I'm in the city limits and I only pay $42 + tax from comcrap internet. FIOS will not be coming into the city limits for the foreseeable future because the telecoms are regulated by the city and they only want one TV provider (comcast is it right now).

I'm in the city limits and I only pay $42 + tax from comcrap internet. FIOS will not be coming into the city limits for the foreseeable future because the telecoms are regulated by the city and they only want one TV provider (comcast is it right now).

Is that price a promo? And what speed? I'd love to get that if it was 10mbps+

Comcast isn't the only Cable provider in the city, there's some large apartment buildings which require you to use their preferred provider (which often isn't comcrap). Also, I think FIOS runs afoul of Qwest being the ILEC in addition to Comcast being TV (they don't offer FIOS TV in Washington state yet IIRC).

No that's the rate that I pay for 12Mbit service but the best that it has ever run is 4 to 5Mbit. The only cable TV provider in the area is supposed to be Comcrap. The promo rate on the internet is $30 / month when you first sign up.

FIOS is offered on the eastside and north of Seattle but it stops at the city lines. What I have heard is that they are killing comcrap in the area's that they have started offering service. One of my friends lives just outside the city to the north and when he switched from comcrap to FIOS his bill (not promo rate) dropped 40% and his internet is 4x as fast.

Back