Seasonic X750 for 2x GTX 580?

asyork

2[H]4U
I have a Seasonic x750 powering a GTX 580, i7 960, 6x4 GB 1.5v 1600MHz ram, 3 HDDs, an SSD, 2 rarely used optical drives, a Corsair H80 with two fans, and 3 additional case fans.

Would I be able to safely add a second GTX 580 to that?

The long story is that my GTX 580 is artifacting, and evga is closing for the Holidays from the 21st to the 4th. I am thinking about buying a used GTX 580 to keep my computer running, and then SLIing them together once I get the RMA back.

Thanks

Moderate overclocking is doable, don't do any overclocking that requires voltage increases.

My current GTX 580 is factory "superclocked." I have never done SLI before, but I assume the superclocked one would be dropped down to the same speeds of the second card. I really don't need the second card at all, so I have no issues running them at stock. My CPU is stock with the exception of the memory controller to get to 1600 MHz.

Moderate overclocking is doable, don't do any overclocking that requires voltage increases.

This guy speaks the truth. Pay close attention to him. Increasing voltage (which of course also goes with clockspeed increases) raises the power consumption by a *lot*. With two 580's and a quad, you should be able to overclock the cpu and gpu's safely, as long as you remain on stock voltages. You might also want to buy a kill a watt to see the usage from the wall.

Back