Seasonic X-1250 vs Plat 1000. Better value?

Darth_Penguin

Limp Gawd
I am deciding between these 2 ps's and am having trouble deciding which is the better value. I have read all of the Plat 1000 review and it appears to be a near flawless unit. My issue is that I would be better future proofed If I went with the x-1250 but there are no reviews yet to confirm it is a solid unit.

Current setup includes:
i7 920 @ 4.4
(2) GTX480's SLI

Would you buy the x-1250 without seeing it reviewed first?

If you aren't going to go with more than 2 video cards you don't really need the x-1250.

i bought the Seasonic X-1250 and had it overnighted today. i should have it delivered today. I'm upgrading from a cosair HX850. I wanted the seasonic 1000w platinum but newegg was out of stock so i went with this psu. I had some compatibility problems with my p67 sabertooth and corsair psus . i will let you guys know later tonight when i get everything hooked up how it is.

I cancelled my order for the Platinum-1000 once I saw the X-1250 was available. I paid less and should be just as quiet as the 1000 with better "future proofing" as you put it. The XFX Pro 1250w black edition, from what I understand, is the same unit. Here are a couple reviews...

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...modular-power-supply-review-introduction.html
http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...0w-black-edition-modular-power-supply-review/

EDIT: It looks like the fan on the Seasonic version is better.

i would rather buy some seasonic branded than any XFX branded. But yea this unit seems comparable or better than platinum 1000w but my only concern is their efficency at idle?

XFX uses power supplies manufactured by Seasonic. There's minimal differences between the two besides customer support; XFX has horrible customer support from what I gather in the video cards section, while I know Seasonic has awesome customer support.

That HX850 is already overkill for your system as is. The X-1250 is like triple overkill. Unless you plan to quad-crossfire 6970s (which you can't on that board) or plan on upgrading to two 6990s/590s and overclocking the hell out of them. More is not always better in terms of power supplies.

Two 480s is easily handled by a 850 watt power supply, and you could probably get away with a 750 watt.

I am deciding between these 2 ps's and am having trouble deciding which is the better value. I have read all of the Plat 1000 review and it appears to be a near flawless unit. My issue is that I would be better future proofed If I went with the x-1250 but there are no reviews yet to confirm it is a solid unit.

Current setup includes:
i7 920 @ 4.4
(2) GTX480's SLI

Would you buy the x-1250 without seeing it reviewed first?
The X-1250 is simply a slightly less efficient version of the Platinum-1000. I would personally go with whichever is the better deal. The efficiency difference between 80Plus Gold and Platinum is quite small, so there is no major advantage to buying the Platinum one if a Gold version can be had for a considerably lower price.
Trying to stay within 50% load
There's absolutely no point in doing that.

XFX uses power supplies manufactured by Seasonic. There's minimal differences between the two besides customer support; XFX has horrible customer support from what I gather in the video cards section, while I know Seasonic has awesome customer support.

That HX850 is already overkill for your system as is. The X-1250 is like triple overkill. Unless you plan to quad-crossfire 6970s (which you can't on that board) or plan on upgrading to two 6990s/590s and overclocking the hell out of them. More is not always better in terms of power supplies.

Two 480s is easily handled by a 850 watt power supply, and you could probably get away with a 750 watt.

Would you agree that 3 overclocked GTX480's + i7 920 overclocked is going to draw somewhere close to 1000watts? I currently only have 2 but as the used prices for them drop I may end up picking up a 3rd. If I go with the Platinum 1000 I have pretty much ruled out the possibility of 3 480's. I just don't know if the better long term investment is the Plat 1000 seeing as how I expect efficiencies amongst next generation graphics cards to further improve (thus negating the need for more than 1000 watts)

well i wanted to get the 1000w platinum and that is out of stock so i got the x-1250 gold for the same price or i think its $10 more yea its 250 watts more but it should work the same
and be just as good

The X-1250 is simply a slightly less efficient version of the Platinum-1000. I would personally go with whichever is the better deal. The efficiency difference between 80Plus Gold and Platinum is quite small, so there is no major advantage to buying the Platinum one if a Gold version can be had for a considerably lower price.

I think you are right. I will monitor the 2 and wait for one to be at good enough deal to jump on. Thanks for the insight!

they are about the same price it depends on which is in stock

Would you agree that 3 overclocked GTX480's + i7 920 overclocked is going to draw somewhere close to 1000watts? I currently only have 2 but as the used prices for them drop I may end up picking up a 3rd. If I go with the Platinum 1000 I have pretty much ruled out the possibility of 3 480's. I just don't know if the better long term investment is the Plat 1000 seeing as how I expect efficiencies amongst next generation graphics cards to further improve (thus negating the need for more than 1000 watts)

The 1000 watt will handle 3 480s.

Efficiencies will improve with next gen cards, that's almost a given. However, What I see happening is that instead of power consumption going down, it will remain the same for top-level cards. It will just have higher performance per watt.

so i installed the X-1250 tonight and it seems pretty soild. so far i got sleep to work on my p67 sabertooth. The modular connections are really nice. I have the fan set to the hybrid mode. I believe the fan shuts off if your computer goes into idle or sleep to save power

1250 watts maybe overkill for my system but atleast i can go dual 6970s or tri fire down the road no problems. the psu is very quiet no coil whine or anything
my other fans are louder than the fan in the psu itself. i want to say this psu might be a better buy because you get an extr 250watts for about the same price as the 1000w platinum. so far iam pretty happy with this psu.

so i installed the X-1250 tonight and it seems pretty soild. so far i got sleep to work on my p67 sabertooth. The modular connections are really nice. I have the fan set to the hybrid mode. I believe the fan shuts off if your computer goes into idle or sleep to save power

1250 watts maybe overkill for my system but atleast i can go dual 6970s or tri fire down the road no problems. the psu is very quiet no coil whine or anything
my other fans are louder than the fan in the psu itself. i want to say this psu might be a better buy because you get an extr 250watts for about the same price as the 1000w platinum. so far iam pretty happy with this psu.

You can go quad-fire with a 1250 watt.

jesus thats a rediculous amount of power...Somebody is trying to run a nuclear plant with 1250 watts of psu..and i thought upgrading a 750 power supply was hard :(

i need to get a new motherboard asap. probably less microsutter in a tri fire or quad fire setup.

I just built a system with a Seasonic Platinum-1000 and it has very, very bad coil whine under load. Well, at least mine does. It's as loud as an clicky Hitachi hard drive and sounds like a fly trying to get out of a window. It made noise even before overclocking. I'm trying to RMA it since the system was built with quiet computing in mind. :mad:

Coil whine can happen with any power supply. It is not specific to a make/model.

Coil whine can happen with any power supply. It is not specific to a make/model.

I also have experienced really loud coil whine with the XP1000 and contacted Seasonic. Service was excellent and they sent me an new PSU. But the buzzing sound was still there, so maybe they have a little design-flaw in the new platinum series.

The coil whining allways occured when GPU was in Idle P-state (desktop for example), producing higher loads on the GPU made the sound dissapear.

Really sad I have to return the PSU, except for the coil whine it was really very quiet, even with full load on 2 GTX 580's:mad:

I also have experienced really loud coil whine with the XP1000 and contacted Seasonic. Service was excellent and they sent me an new PSU. But the buzzing sound was still there, so maybe they have a little design-flaw in the new platinum series.

The coil whining allways occured when GPU was in Idle P-state (desktop for example), producing higher loads on the GPU made the sound dissapear.

Really sad I have to return the PSU, except for the coil whine it was really very quiet, even with full load on 2 GTX 580's:mad:

Coil whine can happen to any power supply.

This is the exact reason I got the Plat 1000. Between Ivy-Bridge and Nvidias roadmaps promising better power usage I figured any more wattage would be overkill.

Been running this power supply for a few weeks with no issues at all.

I heard that the Platinum standard was recently downgraded and there's really not that much differance between the plat and gold. Wish I had the article bookmarked on this computer.

But even then, could the plat have a longer life due to the higher quality components that make it slightly more efficient? I tend to keep my computers until they bite the dust.

Do most manufacturers allow coil whiners to be RMA'd? since technically they say it doesn't affect performance.

Many brands do. Of the ones I have seen people complain and try to RMA them Seasonic has replaced them for people as have Corsair and Antec. Actually, while it may happen I don't remember a denied RMA from any of the "good" brands out there.

Ended up going with the X-1250. Seemed like I couldn't go wrong with either unit and I'm sure having the extra power available isn't a bad thing. I got in in the computer earlier in the week and have been satisfied with it. The finish on this unit is top notch. They give you enough cables to hook up anything and everything. Its nice to know that for the next 5 years I wont have to worry about upgrading my PSU (assuming atx standards dont change much)

Many brands do. Of the ones I have seen people complain and try to RMA them Seasonic has replaced them for people as have Corsair and Antec. Actually, while it may happen I don't remember a denied RMA from any of the "good" brands out there.

My ss1000 is dead silent. I found out that the really annoying electrical sound that sounded like coil whine (the sound of a fly buzzing stuck in a window, except louder) was actually coming from my panaflo cpu fan, after I tracked down the source of the sound to the CPU VRM area, and realized there aren't any coils there...

When I unhooked the fan, the system was dead silent besides the hd6970 spinning up at power up. When I attached the fan, with it removed from the heatsink, the whine coming from the fan sounded like a Banshee or somethinig...that will have to be replaced VERY soon. Still in shock that a fan would make that kind of noise. .

Back