Seasonic x-1050 for 109.99 AR

Direfox

[H]ard|Gawd
I have absolutely no reason to buy one, I already have 3 great PSU's, but this is so tempting anyway. Not a bad idea if you plan on sticking a couple 290X's in your build.

Link to x-1050

Code- EMCWHHC26

Nice. I think there was a deal on the 1200w Plat for like $130.00 or so too. :) Good time to buy PSU's.

Not as good as the X-1250 I recently got for $109 AR, but not bad either! :)

Any downside to getting an overkill psu? My system only needs a 650-750w unit at best, but at this price it is hard not to consider.

Any downside to getting an overkill psu? My system only needs a 650-750w unit at best, but at this price it is hard not to consider.

It will just future proof you. I've been thinking about upgrading just to see if it reduces coil whine on my GTX 980....

As mentioned, future proofing and given the price, its not much more than high end 750-850w units.

When it comes to "future proofing", one thing to keep in mind is that over the years power consumption has been trending down not up.

Additionally, one rather small but still true downside of a way over-spec PSU is that you will get decreased power efficiency at a low utilization %. Check out reviews that chart power efficiency relative to power draw. Peak power efficiency is usually in the 20-80% range. If you get a 1050W PSU and your system draws 50-100W at idle, technically your power efficiency is worse than if you were using say a 600W PSU, even if both have the same peak efficiency.

If you have a Kill-A-Watt to monitor how much your system actually uses then you may be surprised how little power that 4.5 GHz overclock and overclocked single card GPU actually uses full load. A 400W PSU would in fact be plenty for a significant majority of people these days.

Since you would really need at least an 850 watt psu anyway and those typically cost as much as this then there is no reason to not get this.

Just got one. You need this if you plan to overclock or have an exotic cooling solution for your cpu. On my haswell build currently I don't go over 400 watts max with a Corsair H100i and a number of hard drives and a single GTX 770 at Default bios settings. However the moment you turn off power management cpu features to overclock and add a second gpu you'll wish you had this for the breathing room alone..

If i needed one i would get it....looks like a heck of a supply for the cash....very nice

I bought this on 11/29 for $120 after rebate. This is definitely a good deal.

When it comes to "future proofing", one thing to keep in mind is that over the years power consumption has been trending down not up.

Additionally, one rather small but still true downside of a way over-spec PSU is that you will get decreased power efficiency at a low utilization %. Check out reviews that chart power efficiency relative to power draw. Peak power efficiency is usually in the 20-80% range. If you get a 1050W PSU and your system draws 50-100W at idle, technically your power efficiency is worse than if you were using say a 600W PSU, even if both have the same peak efficiency.

If you have a Kill-A-Watt to monitor how much your system actually uses then you may be surprised how little power that 4.5 GHz overclock and overclocked single card GPU actually uses full load. A 400W PSU would in fact be plenty for a significant majority of people these days.

On the flip side of that power supplies tend to be most efficient around 50% load.

On the flip side of that power supplies tend to be most efficient around 50% load.

True, but if you aim your Max load at the 50% mark of the PSU, how often are you gonna get there? More often you'll under peak, and being less efficient then a PSU rated for your load. Not to mention, if something breaks, the protection trip points are going to be higher. This means you're more likely to damage other hardware if something fails.

The Aim at 50% myth has been debunked several times. Get what you need with maybe 10% overhead. Then you'll be idling at around 20% of the PSU (Where the Efficiency usually starts to be decent on most PSUs), normal load is around 50-60% (where you're the most efficient) and then peak load is up in the 80-90% range (where most PSUs begin to decline in efficiency again).

Well I just installed this psu replacing the Seasonic 650 Gold PSU modular I use to have in there. This one is a couple inches longer and has mostly ribbon cables. I don't mind them for the sata but wonder about the PCI-E cable gauge being slightly less than before with my old black and yellow sleaved cables. The only other difference I noticed is the modular motherboard psu connector has 16 (2x8) pins as opposed to 14 pins (2x7) on my old 650 watt psu in comparison. I wonder if the extra two pins psu side is because of Haswell certification and compatibility?

Thanks.

Back