Seasonic Vertex Series

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
NewEgg had listed the Seasonic GX-1000 and GX-1200 to be released today but newegg just dropped the ETA release date of 12/21 to out of stock. Does anyone know the real release dates of these PSUs?

seasonic updated their website a couple of days ago and said these are pushed back to january now.
That's massively disappointing, but still good to know. I had heard that there were some of the Platinum (PX-1200 was looking as the option for my next build perhaps ) already in proper reviewer hands so I hoped they'd be in stores this month. I'm also very curious to see how they stand up to the Prime series high ends and what meaningful differences there will be going forward between say.. an older Prime Platiinum (or even something like a G6 or P3 from EVGA) and one of these new ATX 3.0 / PCi-E 5.0 compatible setups (beyond just including the native 16 pin cable or whatever).

My Vertex GX-1200 order with Newegg was just converted from pre-order to order and my CC was charged. Status: Packaging. Estimated ship date: today (12-22-22)

I saw an (unconfirmed) post on another site mentioning that a customer service rep for Seasonic Vertex PX series, the Platinum versions, may not arrive until LATE Q2 2023!? https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/zubami/seasonic_vertex_px_availability/ What exactly is going on here that warrants such a delay between products with very similar components?! I have 2 systems to build and that time frame isn't going to work out , if there is any accuracy to what is being discussed here.

if this is the case, I am wondering if I should just build my new system with my older yet seemingly reliable EVGA SuperNova G3 1000w at least for the time being - provided it will not cause any issues supporting a high end Zen4 platform (7950X or 7950X3D CPU , Asus ROG Crosshair 670E Extreme, 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30 kit etc) + Nvidia 3090 GPU ? I've read conflicting opinions but it seems possible that the PSU will be suitable even without ATX 3.0 compatibility and won't hold back CPU performance/OCing; the biggest issue of concern is to not upgrade to a 4090 or possible 7900XTX GPU. Alternatively in the unlikely (?) situation that my EVGA G3 can't handle replacing my X99 platform with X670E as described, I guess I could pick up the Vertex Gold 1200w if I can find it in stock somewhere soon and then consider swapping it out when the Vertex Platinum 1200w or another comparable ATX 3.0 1200w Platinum or similar PSU down the line, moving the Vertex Gold to my rebuilt home server/NAS box later on?

Either way, its unfortunate that the Vertex Platinum is possibly delayed for a considerable amount of time. Here's hoping that other top tier PSUs prove their worth with ATX 3.0 when assessed by quality reviewers - and soon!

Thanks for the headsup! Man they're jacking the price though; the MSRP listed on Seasonic's own announcement is $230 for the GX-1200; the backordered option on Newegg is $290! Is that what you two paid or was there a discount code somewhere?

Thanks for the headsup! Man they're jacking the price though; the MSRP listed on Seasonic's own announcement is $230 for the GX-1200; the backordered option on Newegg is $290! Is that what you two paid or was there a discount code somewhere?
Yep it was $328 after shipping and taxes.

Where do these fall in their product stack in terms of the quality of their internal components, protections, etc.? Are these the modern equivalent of the Prime, Prime Ultra Series?

Where do these fall in their product stack in terms of the quality of their internal components, protections, etc.? Are these the modern equivalent of the Prime, Prime Ultra Series?
I don't have the answer but I'm also curious to know. Also, I've not seen any in-depth reviews / bench tests for these yet - has anyone else?

At this point I'm committed - it's in my new build, all set up and running so unless it's deemed a complete POS and a fire hazard, it will be my PSU for the foreseeable future.

I don't have the answer but I'm also curious to know. Also, I've not seen any in-depth reviews / bench tests for these yet - has anyone else?

At this point I'm committed - it's in my new build, all set up and running so unless it's deemed a complete POS and a fire hazard, it will be my PSU for the foreseeable future.
I'm also curious to know. I'm guessing that its in between Prime (ultra) and Focus perhaps. It comes with a 10 year warranty not a 12 year one like the highest Prime options but its features and components are more like a Prime than a Focus series? Of course, there hasn't been any announcement of ATX 3.0 / PCI-E 5.0 compatible PRIME series in the works either so far and if the delay for getting the Vertex Platinum units out is taking so long for some reason I can't imagine they'll have them anytime soon. After all, why would you bring out the Vertex Platinum in late Q2 2023 and then immediately cannibalize it by having new Prime units arrive? For all I know maybe Vertex is their sole new lineup for ATX 3.0 / PCI-E 5.0 compatibility which, if they're serious about it being FULLY compatible , is a hard and expensive thing to do if I understand correctly.

We really need more information and review data. I thought TechPowerUp (or someone) had a copy for review that was available for patreon subscribers a few weeks back..shouldn't it be open now? If the Gold 1200w unit is in users hands there shouldn't be any embargo. I'm also curious as to why it takes SO long to get the Platinum models out and why they didn't choose to go for those first? Unless they're somehow unable to get the efficiency up? In any case, more info would definitely be helpful but unless there's a major difference somehow a higher end Seasonic like the Vertex should be well made and a good choice given the past history of the brand.

Reactions: rayz
like this
Hello,

A quick message to give you some info:
  1. VERTEX is between FOCUS and PRIME Series.
  2. Reviews are on the way but will probably start to be available by February for the first ones. Should be at the same time (more or less) than stock on market in both US and Europe.
  3. VERTEX PX will come later this year. Schedule delay etc... But it's coming as well.
  4. If any other announcement for some new ATX 3.0 Series, we will make sure to provide all information needed. Meanwhile, our VERTEX will be there for anyone who need the most up to date PSU with ATX 3.0 specs.
Thanks !
Best Regards,

Hello,

2. Reviews are on the way but will probably start to be available by February for the first ones. Should be at the same time (more or less) than stock on market in both US and Europe.
  3. VERTEX PX will come later this year. Schedule delay etc... But it's coming as well.
  4. If any other announcement for some new ATX 3.0 Series, we will make sure to provide all information needed. Meanwhile, our VERTEX will be there for anyone who need the most up to date PSU with ATX 3.0 specs.
Thanks !
Best Regards,
Much appreciated.

Hello,

Thanks !
Best Regards,
Do you mind giving a bit clearer time frame? "By February" could mean a few different things for those who are more time sensitive on the need to get these parts and I've noticed the Vertex GX release schedule (nevermind the PX version) has become more and more vague. For example, the newegg release date was delayed to 1/31/2023 and that feels more like a placeholder date. I'd prefer to know what qualifies a "by February" release, is it early February? Does covering the entire month qualify as meeting the timeline? Is January even on the table anymore?

Do you mind giving a bit clearer time frame? "By February" could mean a few different things for those who are more time sensitive on the need to get these parts and I've noticed the Vertex GX release schedule (nevermind the PX version) has become more and more vague. For example, the newegg release date was delayed to 1/31/2023 and that feels more like a placeholder date. I'd prefer to know what qualifies a "by February" release, is it early February? Does covering the entire month qualify as meeting the timeline? Is January even on the table anymore?
Hello,

Like an exact date is not possible to give, the time frame would be last week of January (the one starting on 30) to first week of February (the one finishing Friday 10). That's more or less the time frame expected if no further delays.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Hello,

Like an exact date is not possible to give, the time frame would be last week of January (the one starting on 30) to first week of February (the one finishing Friday 10). That's more or less the time frame expected if no further delays.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Thank you! That is awesome that we got a reply directly from the source. :)

Hello,

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Thanks again for posting. . Around that time, are you planning to have to stock at Amazon or other stores (Microcenter?) in the US? If it is at all possible, it would be nice to have multiple options aside from just Newegg.

Thanks again for posting. . Around that time, are you planning to have to stock at Amazon or other stores (Microcenter?) in the US? If it is at all possible, it would be nice to have multiple options aside from just Newegg.
Hello,

Stock will be available for all our usual resellers.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

I am in for a preorder of the Vertex Gold 1200 from Newegg also. I hope I get one in this batch otherwise it's going to be avery long wait 🙁

Hello,

Stock will be available for all our usual resellers.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Any info about how many units Newegg will receive? Or Amazon? Not sure where else I could try to buy one if newegg preorders are already filled...

Just got the email it has been postponed to February 10th. Any reason we shouldn't be buying the thermaltake tough power gf3 series?

Canceled the preorder for the Seasonic Vertex 1200 and ordered the Thermaltake Toughpower 1650 ATX 3.0 power supply that has two 600W 16 pin connectors. Besides I wanted a lot more power than 1200 which I felt was just "acceptable" for a fully powered overclocked 13900KS & 4090 and 14 fans and pump and etc. 1650W will definitely be at half or less usage which is recommended for a power supply. Here is the link for whoever wants one and is tired of waiting for everything else and can get a 1650W beast that gets fantastic reviews online.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BF3S8WDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also, it's about the same price as the vertex 1200 except It's a 1650 and has two 16 pin ports and cables in case one of the cables or ports go bad you have another as backup. I'm in for the win.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I might have to jump on that as well
heck yeah, 1650? it's not even gonna be stressed compared to the 1200, here look at the user manual has all the protections and gets good reviews also.

Attachments

• TOUGHPOWER_GF3_1350_1650W_manual.pdf
    14.4 MB · Views: 0
heck yeah, 1650? it's not even gonna be stressed compared to the 1200, here look at the user manual has all the protections and gets good reviews also.
Very tempting. Don’t really need the extra wattage but it is a good price and the fact that I could finish my build next week versus who knows when is making me itch to get this. On the other hand the Seasonic probably is better quality but would I even notice that.

Very tempting. Don’t really need the extra wattage but it is a good price and the fact that I could finish my build next week versus who knows when is making me itch to get this. On the other hand the Seasonic probably is better quality but would I even notice that.
Yea, my thought is for example for my build is a13900KS that will pull over 300W that's stock, if I overclock probably even more. Now let's add in a 4090 that can easily pull 450W to 500 or maybe more with a native 600W connector. Now let's add in the pump and 16 fans and rgb everywhere and media breakout box and bluray drive and multiple M.2 drives and sata drives etc. That's somewhere in between 600-800W or more which is right in the middle area of a 1650W power supply. I have read multiple resources that say a power supply is most effective somewhere in between 40-60 percent usage, and this is exactly where a 13900ks+4090 would land using this Thermaltake Tough Power GF3 1650W power supply, in the sweet spot right in the middle. Also, about the noticing comment, I know there is no way I will ever notice the difference, they are both Gold rated, and it will be indistinguishable to me as the end user. Yea I'm definitely finishing my build not this weekend but next weekend for sure. I'm super excited to wrap it up and not touch it for the next number of years.

I think I am just going to wait 2 weeks. If they push it out again then I might consider. My system is a 13900K, 4090, MSI S360 AIO. I think 1200 watts is plenty for this. It might push up to 800 watts at max.

The only thing that is holding me back on this one is that it doesn't have OTP (Thermal Protection) and the fan is crazy loud at 50db:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermaltake-toughpower-gf3-1650-w/12.html
It does have OTP protection whoever reviewed it and was giving it that review said they were unable to figure it out but when you look at the manual it clearly says it has all the protections including OTP. The fan to get up to that speed is only under Extreme measures which you will never be able to reach mostly it'll be in similar temperature range and similar noise decibel range with all the other power supplies. I did pretty extensive research on this power supply and there's nothing bad or wrong about it in fact everything is good as good as other power supplies except this one is priced phenomenally and has much more power. Check out the owners manual I posted look at all the protections clearly stated in the manual. And look at the noise decibel levels under normal operating specs you will never get to the maximum speed.

It does have OTP protection whoever reviewed it and was giving it that review said they were unable to figure it out but when you look at the manual it clearly says it has all the protections including OTP. The fan to get up to that speed is only under Extreme measures which you will never be able to reach mostly it'll be in similar temperature range and similar noise decibel range with all the other power supplies. I did pretty extensive research on this power supply and there's nothing bad or wrong about it in fact everything is good as good as other power supplies except this one is priced phenomenally and has much more power. Check out the owners manual I posted look at all the protections clearly stated in the manual. And look at the noise decibel levels under normal operating specs you will never get to the maximum speed.
Awesome, makes me feel better if I decide to go that route. Seasonic Rep do you have any updates on if we think we will see this on Feb 10th?

I think I am just going to wait 2 weeks. If they push it out again then I might consider. My system is a 13900K, 4090, MSI S360 AIO. I think 1200 watts is plenty for this. It might push up to 800 watts at max.
Yeah I totally understand but I've been wanting a 15 or 1600 w power supply for a while now and this one fits the bill perfectly plus it's the same price as the 1200 wattsy Sonic and you get a lot more power as Ihave a lot of crap going on in my system LOL I wanted to be at 50% usage pretty much all the time. I mean I would have been fine with a 1350 but I really wanted the 1650 just in case the 5090 uses the full 600 watts next year LOL I'd rather not deal with upgrading a power supply again haha

Last edited:
You know what I think I'm going to keep my pre-order for the vertex and keep the thermal take also when they both arrive I'm going to test and see how much power is being pulled from the socket using a kilowatt meter. If the 1650 is way over kill I'll just return it and use the vertex but if it's using close to the limit of the vertex I'll return the vertex and keep the tough power. Let's see I'll test them both.

Back