Seasonic S12 - 500 watt

Oline61

Gawd
I know that the 600 watt won an award at THG. I need a new PSU because my system is currently running on a 450 watt box of crap that came with my case.
System in sig. Does anyone have experience with the 500 watt version. Will it be enough for heavily overclocking my system?

I actually own it. Its rock solid. Pretty much exactly like the 600watt except less wattage and i think it doesnt have a -5v or someshit. Not a big deal though. Based on your system alot like mine. It shouldnt even come close to taxing this PSU. Overclocking should be no problem. I mean when i overclock and shit i cant even get the psu fan to rev up. I just dont put enough drain on it.

Actually the S-12 430W is enough for your system, soo the 500W will give you room to spare. ;)

The 600W is available for about $130, how much is the 500W?

I got my s12-500 for about 110 or so shipped. Has worked flawlessly and silently so far :D

Newegg says the S12-500 is about 133 shipped with ultra-cheapo shipping. I'll probably wait for a sale or something. Thanks for the advice everyone.

yea its definetely a good psu and a little bit under 110 is the cheapest you can get it from ewiz via froogle browse. i suggest going for the s12-500 because its a more efficient the the s12-430 and below because its made a slightly differently

Almost always buy seasonic stuff from ewiz.com They are almost always the lowest price. They offer the 600 watt at 106 from time to time however seasonic reacently changed there margins that they sell them to ewiz so ull be lucky to find it under 120. I got the 500 watt from ewiz for about 100 after shipping like 3 weeks ago. The only advantage of the 430 to 500 is the 500 is sli capable. Its not sli certified but it is equiped to run sli has all the wires u need just not quite as much juice as the 600watt. So 430 is sweet but 500 as more features and more power. So its more flexible

Definitely get your Seasonics from ewiz. I got my S12 500 from them for $78. Make sure you shop around with all the bargain sites. The 500 was $100+ at the ewiz.com but if you search for it through froogle and click on the reference link there, the ewiz price was suddenly $78.

Definitely step up from the 430 to the 500 for the SLI connectors. It's only a little more or even cheaper if you can catch the 500 on sale at ewiz. Ewiz has wacky pricing. For the longest time, the 600w and the 500w were exactly the same price.

I got a seasonic...I took off the main connector and forgot where the wires went....somehow I got it back together and it works great. The 500w Seasonic is a great PSU and I would recommend it over almost all the rest. Not only that but it comes with a sticker!!

To add to the line of praise, I too have a Seasonic, the s12-600. Very nice, heavy as all hell, plus you get 80% efficiency and its virtually silent. I'm not kidding when I say its the quietest component in my computer with moving parts - you can still hear my bungied HDs and the zalman 7000 but not the PS.

Unfortunately I paid $160 at the egg, but I do still have a $15 rebate to send in. I wish I had searched a little more and found a better price.

Hi. I am looking to buy this supply, a upgrade from my antec 480w truepower (18a +12v). However, it looks like ewiz doesn't carry them anymore, i don't see seasonic anywhere on the site through froogle. so far looks like buy.com $120 with free shipping is best, anyone see something better? :)

arnemetis said:
Hi. I am looking to buy this supply, a upgrade from my antec 480w truepower (18a +12v). However, it looks like ewiz doesn't carry them anymore, i don't see seasonic anywhere on the site through froogle. so far looks like buy.com $120 with free shipping is best, anyone see something better? :)

Xoxide at $119? :(

questions for all the s12 500/600 owners: how crazy are the wires? I know they don't use any wireloom or organization. I was going to buy one at performancepcs.com that came already sleeved but it's $210 (unshipped!). Doesn't seem worth it to me.

I heard they ship some sort of Cable Doctor stuff?

Pretty crazy. And the plastic wrapper they give you for the cables is just plain stupid.

cable_covers.jpg

cable_covers1.jpg

Oh well... It's safe to say that the cables are it's ONLY downfall.

wow, that cable wrap is awful! so sad. =) they should charge $20 and give it some nice sleeving.

I have the S12 500W model. The cables are braided, so they're actually not as bad as they could be. My main gripe is that it has separate leads for the 4-pin and 8-pin +12V lines. I'm pretty sure that no motherboard uses both connections... hanging the 4-pin connector off the 8-pin connector (like they did with the extra 4 pins to give you the option for a 20-pin / 24-pin ATX connector) would have saved a lot of room.

It's very quiet though, and I've been very happy with it. If only it were modular, it would be the bestest PSU ever. :p

Back