Seasonic releases G-Series affordable 80Plus Gold Supplies, gonna review I hope?

Wierdo

[H]ard|Gawd
Just read that Seasonic decided to release a new lines of power supplies that's more affordable for those who crave 80Plus Gold efficiency.

I don't really know what makes these the cheaper line vs the X-Series supplies, I hope they get reviewed here soon, I'm curious to find out since I may be in the market for a Seasonic supply soon.

Prices start at around $70 and they have 360W, 450W, 550W and 650W models, not a huge savings over the X-Series, looks like maybe $20 here and there.

Last edited:
[H]OCP will definitely review these, as they review nearly every line of power supplies from major manufacturers. Between [H]OCP, JonnyGuru, and Hardware Secrets, pretty much all power supply series from big manufacturers get reviewed at some point. Don't bug them when though, they'll get around to it when they get around to it.

I'm back to considering the 360 W version because of the size of the PSU box, because it's Seasonic, and because it's 80+ Gold at $60.

Can it drive my i7 3770 (light overclock, undervolted with offset voltage) and GTX 670 ITX build? I'm showing sub 300 Watt consumption on pretty much all the reasonable tests I've run (I don't really plan on running Furmark + Prime 95 large FFT on a daily basis), and my games show 214-250 Watts on a temporary 80+ PSU (not even bronze). BUT Kill-a-Watt could be a good deal off, I was told...

I need a small quiet PSU with good efficiency, and this looks like a good one on paper. Assuming Kill-a-Watt is within a reasonable ballpark value, I'd be at ~50-60% of rated usage in games, when accounting for efficiency conversion, which seems optimal.

You still want to plan for max theoretical load.

Anyways, here's your power breakdown:

3770k: 80 watts worst case, most likely less due to your undervolt
GTX 670: 200 watts non-overclocked
Everything else: 50 watts

Total: 330 watts

You should be fine.

Excellent, thank you!!! Now, to be sure, the power supplies are rated to provide x number of watts for the system, not draw from the wall, correct? So it's 360 Watts to the system (and, say, 400-ish Watts from the wall). I wonder if this PSU goes beyond its rating somewhat. Some are rated for, say, 650 Watts but in reality can go to 750 Watts with no issues.

P.S.: it's a 3770, non-K. So I can do 4.3GHz per 2 top-use cores, 4.4GHz with raising BCLK to 102.5, but can't do negative offset voltage for the latter, in terms of stability. I don't see myself running at that overclock anyway, because I need my PC to be quiet (it's on my desk next to me).

Power supplies are rated at output to the system, and Seasonic power supplies are rated at continuous output. That means, they are able to output more than the continuous rating, but they're not designed to do that for extended amounts of time. Additionally, Seasonic generally underrates their power supplies for maximum performance and reliability.

Aha. So if my system will need to briefly go to 400 Watts, this PSU can probably pull it off for a short time, but not much higher?

edit: it's not listed on the 80+ official site yet :( Was going to look up its efficiency breakdown.

Last edited:
It won't, that's a below <350W at full load... but the G 360 comes with only one PCIe connector so you'll be forced to use an adapter, I'd suggest you go for a 450W Capstone or Fortress unit from Rosewill... or even the new SFX 450W Gold unit from Silverstone.

It won't, that's a below <350W at full load... but the G 360 comes with only one PCIe connector so you'll be forced to use an adapter, I'd suggest you go for a 450W Capstone or Fortress unit from Rosewill... or even the new SFX 450W Gold unit from Silverstone.

I've accounted for that already - don't think it's a big deal. I do really like the Rosewill Capstone / Fortress options, but their size is significantly larger, making them an extreme tight fit (and really they will probably stick out of my case by a good amount,with all the cables tucked in). SFX Gold is something I'm having trouble with at the moment, so I'm exploring other options in the meantime.

I'm back to considering the 360 W version because of the size of the PSU box, because it's Seasonic, and because it's 80+ Gold at $60.

Can it drive my i7 3770 (light overclock, undervolted with offset voltage) and GTX 670 ITX build? I'm showing sub 300 Watt consumption on pretty much all the reasonable tests I've run (I don't really plan on running Furmark + Prime 95 large FFT on a daily basis), and my games show 214-250 Watts on a temporary 80+ PSU (not even bronze). BUT Kill-a-Watt could be a good deal off, I was told... .

360w is probably not good enough. I'd say 400w minimum. And forget Kill-a-watt.. it's not even close to accurate for highly reactive loads, and I'm not sure I'd trust it even for plain resistive loads.

360w is probably not good enough. I'd say 400w minimum. And forget Kill-a-watt.. it's not even close to accurate for highly reactive loads, and I'm not sure I'd trust it even for plain resistive loads.

As I covered above, 360 watts is enough for his load scenario.

As I covered above, 360 watts is enough for his load scenario.

Except that you did it wrong, because there are differing amounts of power split to each voltage/rail output. You can't just total up powers and make sure they're smaller than the PSU's rated power. There is more to it than that.

400w+.

Seeing as the Seasonic is a single rail with its full wattage available on the 12v, you actually CAN just add everything up.

Do some more research.

^^ what Jorona said.

Pretty much all modern quality power supplies have their full load capacity available on the 12v rail. With the modern DC-DC approach, the 5v and 3.3v rails get their power from the 12v rail, so the 12v rail has to be able to supply the full output.

Except that you did it wrong, because there are differing amounts of power split to each voltage/rail output. You can't just total up powers and make sure they're smaller than the PSU's rated power. There is more to it than that.

400w+.

If this PSU can go over the rated wattage, which many PSUs can, I can see it providing 400 Watts for short durations.

edit: Why aren't there reviews of this PSU yet!!!!

Last edited:
The model previewed may be a bit on the weak side for my taste but it can reliably feed a nice budget rig. Think a 550W model would rock, it could comfortably cover vast majority of rigs out there.

Back