Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W Power Supply Review

Seasonic's PRIME ULTRA TITANIUM is at the very tip top of its PSU product stack, and its product stack is likely the deepest in the industry when it comes to quality computer power supplies for gamers and enthusiast users that truly push their PCs on a normal basis. Is this 850 watt PSU worthy of your hard earned PSU dollars?

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Last edited:
All your Seasonic PSU reviews are boring because the units are too good. One of my favorite [H] reviews that I always linked tech savvy coworkers and friends to was the "OMG WTF" one with the bad soldering job. I was dying, that review was so funny.
1225401770r0ZtFsfumt_3_11.jpg

Hopefully you guys find more fire hazards and train wreck type hardware, because that shit is hilarious. All that said I will most likely be buying a Seasonic PSU soon

Would the 850w unit give plenty of room of OCing a 2990WX and running an oc'd 1080ti? I want to use my next PSU for at least 10 years so I figure at this level there is really only $20-$40 difference between a 650w and 850w. Obviously a case could be made to just get a Gold Prime Ultra as performance is similar.

Would the 850w unit give plenty of room of OCing a 2990WX and running an oc'd 1080ti? I want to use my next PSU for at least 10 years so I figure at this level there is really only $20-$40 difference between a 650w and 850w. Obviously a case could be made to just get a Gold Prime Ultra as performance is similar.
I would allocate 500w for 32C overclocking.

As an owner of this model PSU since 01/2018 I can vouch for its rock-solid and silent operation. This summer my home office has reached temperatures of 85-89° F for sustained periods and even with system fans and video card fans at idle (less than 400 RPM) the PSU was inaudible. With these ambient temps, my system overclocked and fans between 70% and 80% there was no instability.

It's almost too pretty to sit under the PSU shroud of my case.

Might be about time to pull out a [H] Lifetime Achievement award and give it to Seasonic.

Might be about time to pull out a [H] Lifetime Achievement award and give it to Seasonic.
I second this idea. I've been exclusively Seasonic for a long time and I've never been disappointed. Thanks for the review, Kyle.

I would of like to see the cables sleeved like the EVGA G3 I have but thats only appearance and personal preference. The build quality and performance are top notch, great review!

I've had nothing but problems with my Seasonic x850 gold. Keep melting Pci-e cables. On my 2nd unit now, and it done the same thing. I've just used different cables and used different ports. Keep melting cables and connectors. On the last set of ports on my old one now.

I must have bad luck. Seasonic customer service is good, and its never really a problem. Just kinda tired of downtime with a rig. I'm back to using a EVGA G3+ 850watt, as one of the only psu's that don't use those "flat cables". I go back to Seasonic in a heart beat if they improved their cable design to a more traditional style sleeved cable. Great units great service, just haven't worked for me, at least in terms of the x850 gold series. Great review as always, but I'm a skeptic of Seasonic and their continued use of those flat cables.

MMmmm, PRIME!! Another wicked unit. I would not expect anything less! Great write-up guys!

My units are still going strong as if new. Seasonic is my go-to for power supplies!

Good review as always, thanks guys! Might be a little rich for me tho...

Two Hundy for a power supply (I just looked on Amazon, $189+tax etc)... I mean yeah maybe if I'm building a $2k Threadripper rig or something. Other than that, $60 "bronze" Antec's or Corsair's do the job just fine.

I have built many systems with worse. Currently I'm using a Thermaltake 750w something I got at Fry's for $60ish after MIR, fully modular and has not given me a single problem in 3 years.

I bought this a few weeks ago for a new build. It's awesome and works without a hitch. I wish I'd bought a higher end power supply a long time ago.

Good review as always, thanks guys! Might be a little rich for me tho...

Two Hundy for a power supply (I just looked on Amazon, $189+tax etc)... I mean yeah maybe if I'm building a $2k Threadripper rig or something. Other than that, $60 "bronze" Antec's or Corsair's do the job just fine.

I have built many systems with worse. Currently I'm using a Thermaltake 750w something I got at Fry's for $60ish after MIR, fully modular and has not given me a single problem in 3 years.

With a 12 year warranty you can also look at this as an investment. You can reuse this in 3 to 4 systems, where as usually in the past I had purchased a new PSU for every build.

With a 12 year warranty you can also look at this as an investment. You can reuse this in 3 to 4 systems, where as usually in the past I had purchased a new PSU for every build.

Oh I didn't realize it had a 12 year warranty. That does ease the pain a little.

I have one of these and being in a dusty place I am thinking of putting a very gentle filter on here like the Silverstone FF141 (moderate filtering but good airflow). In the past I've not used filters because reducing airflow in any way on a PSU seemed like a recipe for trouble. But this one runs so very cool with very low fan input that it seemed like it might be ok? Opinions on whether a filter is ok? A lot of cases seem to use them too which gave me some hope. The filter would still get regular cleaning, not just fire and forget here.

Back