Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750W Power Supply Review

This new Seasonic PRIME Ultra 750 watt computer power supply is a revision of its previous PRIME Ultra line of PSUs. This alone makes us wonder just how much better Seasonic can actually make these power supplies, given just how great these were last time around. Let's find out if Seasonic has achieved building an even better PSU.

Thanks for the awesome review as always :)

This is why for several years PSU shopping was quite easy for me me:

Shopping site > Filter > PSU > Filter By Brand > Seasonic

Seasonic has proven time and time again the company actually cares about quality. It is with this and previous reviews why I stand firm including Seasonic first in any new system quote, rebuild or replacement.

Thanks for the review, [H]. As always, greatly appreciated.

I expected nothing less.

Now, to someone wanting to build a mid-high end machine, what is the advantage to a Titanium rated vs a gold rated Psu?

I expected nothing less.

Now, to someone wanting to build a mid-high end machine, what is the advantage to a Titanium rated vs a gold rated Psu?
Honestly, probably nothing you will ever see in real life. The higher efficiency PSU is going to produce less direct heat. Energy savings are negligible, but that would also depend if you were running it wide open 24/7 and paying an arm and a leg for electricity, so your usage model applies.

A 560uf and a 470uf, a good bit larger than most on the primaries. Most of everything is like a 330uf. And it's definitely not a bad idea to use Chemicons often stuff gets changed out for a better cap in units., this one saying too got Rubycons on the Secondary....great unit as expected.

The Teapos man...idk Probaly alright but idk people rated them lower tier....so just put in the good stuff. Probaly very simialr chemicon just whatever general purpose 2000hrs, K series, some alleged alittle better performing with ripple/current capabilities.

Last edited:
higher efficiency means less heat, in theory a properly made unit will last longer because of it (less heat, less stress on the electronics) ?

that being said, they do have some of the longest warranties as well, so there is that, they make quality, and they stand behind the quality as well
only way it could be "better" is if they offered a full 2 way shipping for RMA, and if you are "at fault" than you get a bill in the mail ^.^

I only buy Seasonic now and my next will be a Prime. My only quibble would be that the cabling on this unit which is $170 is the same as on the $45 SII Evo. At this price point some braided cables would be nice. Of course the counterpoint to that is if you can afford $170 for a PSU you can afford custom cables or extensions.

God damn Seasonic always earns my respect. Love their products. Great job Seasonic, you will be in my next build.

God damn Seasonic always earns my respect. Love their products. Great job Seasonic, you will be in my next build.

Indeed.

I'd gone with a Corsair for my last build. Not particularly happy. Definitely Seasonic for the next. I wish Seasonic made an SFF PSU.

Indeed.

I'd gone with a Corsair for my last build. Not particularly happy. Definitely Seasonic for the next. I wish Seasonic made an SFF PSU.

This Rosewill unit actually gets my Respect believe it or not, same idea with good input filtering X and Y couplings and inrush preventing/thermistor. a lot shoddy units don't have much going on on the Input side. Even with Lesser quality stuff and capacitors shows Design still performs well.

The 800w Apevia Unit and some lower end 600w EVGA and 600w Thermaltake unit, had next to nothing on input filtering Hardly, definitely not those large box weird dielectric or something like Polypropylene or them wierder Plastics. and Large Values it's still a suppressing and smoothing/Dampening effect on the mains side and safety Prevention.

Wonder should it even matter anyways it's still a Converter. Technically the Smoothing and Ripple Suppression can happen later in theory just fine. AC side it's this theory on "conditioning" before going in.

And you guy's are getting Crazy again on Sheer Capacitance Again when we know the larger that is this "switching" effect and efficiency becomes Less. Capacitance isn't always Better, not building a Battery....even lesser values of capacitance can plenty meet the needs on Power demands.

Theoretically we want the best Regulation and Suppression and efficiency. All the Load Performing and Differences is to Please the scope mostly or something else.

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would bother with another brand.

I don't understand why the [H] even needs to test these premium Seasonic PSU units anymore? Almost seems to be a waste of precious website review budgets (time/money) which could be better spend ferreting out marginal PSUs?

The only consideration for/against a Seasonic PSU is its cost. Is within your budget, buy it. If not then look at another brand. Then stop being a cheap bastard and buy the Seasonic anyways.

Seasonic continues to live up to the usual Seasonic standards. That's why they continue to get my money.

My last two builds in the house have been seasonic 520w units both had for under $40 fully modular. Obviously not near the Prime units but still good quality.

Not happy with mine 1200 watt Prime Platinum.... 3 different units 3 dif. systems all fail no warnings.... One died in two days at 626 watts at the wall measured with kilowatt meter???
One died running x58 with a 1080ti idling for two days went to use loaded web page and died right in front of me.... Sad thought was buying the best of the best.................

Not happy with mine 1200 watt Prime Platinum.... 3 different units 3 dif. systems all fail no warnings.... One died in two days at 626 watts at the wall measured with kilowatt meter???
One died running x58 with a 1080ti idling for two days went to use loaded web page and died right in front of me.... Sad thought was buying the best of the best.................

That's Unusual, It is quality components. This unit been through a few Rigs/platforms pulled something like 500-600w through it for about 2 years then this past year about 300-400w and it's still strong.

if you've had 3 fail there may be other issues like shitty wiring in your house or bad grounds.. might be worth looking into. in 20+ years of PC use i've never had a single PSU fail on me so the fact that you've had 3 fail in the ways you've describe tells me there's something else wrong.

if you've had 3 fail there may be other issues like shitty wiring in your house or bad grounds.. might be worth looking into. in 20+ years of PC use i've never had a single PSU fail on me so the fact that you've had 3 fail in the ways you've describe tells me there's something else wrong.

It's not unheard of, I've had 3 or 4 fail on me over the years. Then you finally get a pretty good unit that will last awhile.

well my TX750 Corsair unit from eons ago has finally crapped the bed. read this review and no brainer. 1 click order

Because you can get 99% of the quality at 80% price with better acustics.

Acoustics?

I found my 850w version of this to be much much quieter without some of the "whine" of the EVGA G3 unit.

Back