Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000W Power Supply Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000W Power Supply Review

The Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000W is angling to be the "best" 1 kilowatt computer power supply ever built. It boasts having some of the best power efficiency and delivery on the market, all while delivering features like being fully modular, a fully silent mode, and Seasonic's 12 year warranty.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

2. undone

undone n00bie

I just recently completed a build using this PSU. Awesome hardware! Happy to see the kick ass review as well.

3. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Been running the Platinum version for about 8 months now. My only complaint is sometimes, when the unit is fluctuating between silent and needing a fan it'll tick. Like it wants to kick the fan on, but then quickly changes it's mind.

4. Kyle_Bennett

I have two of those here that I use on the test bench. I do here them spin up, but no ticks. Maybe see if they will warranty it?

5. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Now that's a power supply!

Next time I upgrade this will certainly be in my short list.

6. ekierce

ekierce Gawd

I have one of these being delivered today.

I ordered one and received it last week, but when I took it out of the box, I heard a loose piece rattling inside the PSU, shook it till it came to the grill, looked like a small screw or something so wasn't about to plug it in.

Replacement will be here today. I'm chalking it up to possible shipping damage.

7. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

Very nice review. Just seems hard to justify when you can already pickup the bigger 1200w Prime Platinum for ~$35 cheaper. I guess you can never be too efficient.

8. Zarathustra[H]

Well, the way I see it is, while there are many components where it makes sense to buy yourself some extra headroom just in case, PSU's are not one of them. With PSU's it makes sense to rightsize them as much as possible, as they tend to be more efficient closer to their peak loads, so if you have a system that draws only 50 or 60% of the load, you can find yourself in a horribly inefficient load range. (There is probably a better way of expressing this, but I am not and expert)

This is why I really like PicoPSU's for my small builds. Their 60w kit can happily support a Haswell Celeron on low power i3 or i5 coupled with a small GPU like a Gt720, GT630 and maybe even a 1030 all while pulling 6w from the wall at idle. I don't even know what their efficiency ratings are, but the fact that you are that much closer to their peak load, even at idle, makes a huge difference

9. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] PSU Editor & Admin Staff Member

Typically/historically this is not accurate. Typically/historically they are most efficient around 50-60% load. Over the last few years the efficiency curves have flattened out considerably though.

IKV1476 likes this.
  10. Zarathustra[H]

Ahh. Ok. Though considering most computers spend the vast majority of their lives idling, the rightsizing argument still holds, as if you are closer to that sweet spot at idle, you'll probably do much better efficiency wise over time.

11. Kyle_Bennett

We in no way suggest that our reader do this in any way, shape, or form. In fact I would suggest it is "wrongsizing." If you are going to do this, make SURE you have a stellar high end PSU, if you are going to run it at 100% load for long periods of time.

Now let's get back on topic please.

12. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

I thought about warranty exchange, but it works fine otherwise. I have 12 years if I change my mind. :)

13. ianken

ianken [H]ard|Gawd

I have the 650w variant in my new server. The first one I got from newegg died in less than 24 hours. Replacement has been going strong 24/7 for about two months.

Comparing this to the PSU from my old server which I used while waiting for the replacement: this new PSU is WAY more efficient. My UPS reports 15w less draw with it compared to the much older unit. Which is pretty cool considering this thing is on 24/7.

14. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

At what point can you skip the Seasonic reviews and go straight to giving the gold award? :)

15. Zarathustra[H]

That's a one or two bucks a month (depending on where you live.) It's not going to make a major difference in your standard of living, but I'd still take it.

16. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

Nice review. Exactly what I expected. I'm enjoying mine that has been in service for ~2 months so far.

17. Kyle_Bennett

Never.

upload_2018-7-9_14-46-46.png

schoolslave likes this.
  18. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq Gawd

I rely on [H]ardOCP to keep checking on Seasonic, to make sure some marketing asshat doesn't decide to leverage the brand's reputation to maximize this quarter's profits at the expense of product quality. I've seen that happen far too often, good to know it hasn't to Seasonic yet.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  19. ianken

ianken [H]ard|Gawd

Right? I just like the idea that PSUs are getting this efficient. For a long time I got the "you suck" memo from the power company every month. "You use way more power than your neighbors, you polar bear killing monster." So I moved the entire house to LED lighting. Problem solved. Having always-on PCs runs as efficient as I can is nice as well. No more shaming memos from the power folks. LOL.