Seasonic Prime Gold 850, Seasonic Focus Pro 850 Gold, or Corsair H850

kamikazi

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying to narrow down what I'm going to use for my build. I'm going to have a 3900x, 32 GB of RAM, 1080Ti, one M.2 Drive, one Sata Drive, one HDD, a 240 or 360 AIO for the CPU and a 240 AIO on a Kraken bracket for the GPU, and a bunch of fans. Seasonic's calculator shows me being right on the border between an 850 or 1000 depending on ho high I push the chip. I'm thinking 850 is enough even with some room to grow in the future. So what do you think? Seasonic Prime Gold 850, Seasonic Focus Pro 850 Gold, or Corsair H850 or other? For what it's worth, the computer will be sitting at desk level, but I'm thinking the other fans will drown out any PSU noise. I've had an HX850 for about 8 years and had no issues with it, but I'm looking to try something new.

I realize your asking about which PSU but I thought I'd also recommend that you wait for the 2080 Super unless you already have that 1080TI. It should launch around the same or less price of a 1080TI with substantial performance gains.

An 850 will be more than enough for sure, I have an 850 and ran my 3930K heavily overclocked plus 2 7970's in CF also both overclocked, which is way more power than a 3900x + 1080ti.

I don't really know between those models but any seasonic is good -- I would try for a Platinum one if possible though.

I realize your asking about which PSU but I thought I'd also recommend that you wait for the 2080 Super unless you already have that 1080TI. It should launch around the same or less price of a 1080TI with substantial performance gains.

1080ti is already in my current system.

An 850 will be more than enough for sure, I have an 850 and ran my 3930K heavily overclocked plus 2 7970's in CF also both overclocked, which is way more power than a 3900x + 1080ti.

I don't really know between those models but any seasonic is good -- I would try for a Platinum one if possible though.

Is platinum really worth the extra cost for a little more efficiency?

My vote is for the Seasonic Prime Gold 850. Second choice is the Focus Pro 850, I have one. Either one is a good choice. I would take Seasonic over Corsair for psu.

Last I read, no. By the time you factor in the cost savings in electricity your payback period with a platinum PSU is measured in many years.

I mean, probably not but you are typically getting a better PSU, better quality components, etc. If you really care about the DC output quality and stuff I would say go check out some https://www.jonnyguru.com/ reviews. They used to do excellent reviews here as well. In all reality though any Seasonic will be fine, and you won't go wrong with a Gold unit, but if the price is right, a Platinum unit might be the ticket.

As far as Seasonic vs Corsair -- well Corsair doesn't actually make PSU electronics, they work with other OEMs, like Seasonic. For example, their old AX 80Plus Gold series line was Seasonic units same as the old Seasonic X series. So I wouldn't write off Corsair as a whole, but look into who is the actual OEM of whatever unit you buy. Seasonic, FSP, Superflower, all good OEMs, and there are others too.

I mean, probably not but you are typically getting a better PSU, better quality components, etc. If you really care about the DC output quality and stuff I would say go check out some https://www.jonnyguru.com/ reviews. They used to do excellent reviews here as well. In all reality though any Seasonic will be fine, and you won't go wrong with a Gold unit, but if the price is right, a Platinum unit might be the ticket.

As far as Seasonic vs Corsair -- well Corsair doesn't actually make PSU electronics, they work with other OEMs, like Seasonic. For example, their old AX 80Plus Gold series line was Seasonic units same as the old Seasonic X series. So I wouldn't write off Corsair as a whole, but look into who is the actual OEM of whatever unit you buy. Seasonic, FSP, Superflower, all good OEMs, and there are others too.

I should have clarified before I posted that I've read many Hardocp PSU reviews over the years. Johnny guru is fairly new to me though. It seems the units I'm looking at were all reviewed a couple of years ago. I know that the focus pro gold was reviewed favorably on this site. It also seems all the the Corsair units I've looked at are Seasonics under the hood.

I'm trying to get a good idea of sound profiles and real world experiences. I can't say I've ever heard my HX850 over anything else in my system. The Focus Pro has that setting where the fans will actually be disabled up unto a certain temp and then kick on. I see those units are compact in size and only use a 120mm fan. The Prime units have a 135mm fan. Can you hear the difference?

Edit to add: It seems everything these days is a single 12 volt rail. When I bought my last power supply, that was kind of rare and mine had it. At the time, there were a lot of PSUs that had 3 or 4 12 volt rails that were under rated for the CPU. Then, I thought single rails were out of of style again, but I guess they're back.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Last edited:
I should have clarified before I posted that I've read many Hardocp PSU reviews over the years. Johnny guru is fairly new to me though.

Aside from here, jonnyguru's reviews [esp by oklahomawolf] were some of the more in depth PSU reviews I've seen. Although the guy is retired from reviewing PSUs, his reviews were also well done.

Ended up with the Prime Gold 850. I was about to pull the trigger on the Focus Plus Platinum as the price was less than the Focus Plus Gold on Amazon, but it may not arrive until next Monday and I want to get to work on this. The Focus Plus Gold was out of stock as well. Prime Gold was in stock, so that's what it is. Nice and simple. Thanks everyone.

Arrived today. I thought the box felt heavy so I weighed it. 8 pounds. I see that it is spec'd at 5 pounds. It's got some heft to it. Focus Plus Gold is spec'd at 3.5 pounds.

1080ti is already in my current system.

Do you know what kind of power draw you had with your 1080ti..?

I want an efficient PSU, so if I go with a 1000w, I am obviously safeguarding add-ons, etc, but most of the time while gaming 3900x system will be about 500 watts. (?)

I have my computer hooked up to a Kill A Watt. With my 2700k at 4.5 and benchmarking my 1080ti I was at 450 watts or something like that
Do you know what kind of power draw you had with your 1080ti..?

I want an efficient PSU, so if I go with a 1000w, I am obviously safeguarding add-ons, etc, but most of the time while gaming 3900x system will be about 500 watts. (?)

I just ran Prime 95 small FFTs and Unigine Heaven on Extreme settings at 1440p together to test my current system. The 2700k @4.5 GHz was being utilized on all cores at 100% and my 1080Ti got as high as 2050 MHz. I have a Kill-A-Watt installed and I read a peak of just over 500 watts. I have tons of case fans, an SSD, and an HDD running. Idle is around 90 watts. I'm thinking that while gaming on the 3900x with a 1080Ti, 500 watts sounds very reasonable. I'm fine with my 850 watt PSU.

I have my computer hooked up to a Kill A Watt. With my 2700k at 4.5 and benchmarking my 1080ti I was at 450 watts or something like that

I just ran Prime 95 small FFTs and Unigine Heaven on Extreme settings at 1440p together to test my current system. The 2700k @4.5 GHz was being utilized on all cores at 100% and my 1080Ti got as high as 2050 MHz. I have a Kill-A-Watt installed and I read a peak of just over 500 watts. I have tons of case fans, an SSD, and an HDD running. Idle is around 90 watts. I'm thinking that while gaming on the 3900x with a 1080Ti, 500 watts sounds very reasonable. I'm fine with my 850 watt PSU.

Thank you.

My x570 build is very similar to what I am going for. Looking for longevity I can afford to spend on components that make sense.

I have had two Corsair PSUs fail on me, one out of warranty, one in warranty. The RMA process with Corsair was top shelf, but it still was going to leave me with a PSU with for two weeks so I went with a Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold and have not looked back. Corsair was great to deal with and replaced the 860Axi I sent them with the 1500Axi so it was a great upgrade and I may use it in a build one day. That said, I will most likely stick to purchasing Seasonic from now on.

I use Seasonic exclusively and have had one die on me after a few years of use (pop and magic smoke released on power on). No harm to MB or any components. RMAed successfully. I will continue to buy Seasonic.
PSUs fail no matter who makes them.

Back