Seasonic PRIME 650 Platinum Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic PRIME 650 Platinum Review

This time we review a small Seasonic rated at 650 watts, but this one is part of its flagship Prime series with Platinum rated efficiency. That means, less heat, less noise, and a lower cost of operation over time. So, is the PRIME 650 Platinum PSU worthy of Seasonic's flagship status? We will surely find out.

+1

I just did a quick full load test with my 6.5 year old Seasonic 750W sold by Corsair as the AX750.
This is not maxing the PSU out but other PSUs I've had showed much larger variation at similar % load when new.

With just the CPU fully loaded (6700K @ 4.6GHz 1.41V) 12V drops from 12.11V to 12.10V.
Full load on my 1080ti @ 2GHz there is no change, still 12.11V
I'm pleased with such a positive result after running 24/7 for all 6.5 years.
If this ever dies Seasonic based PSUs will be first on my list.

When are you just gonna name the PSU Gold award the Seasonic award? Seasonic is just clearly good at what they do. Thanks for the review!

When are you just gonna name the PSU Gold award the Seasonic award? Seasonic is just clearly good at what they do. Thanks for the review!
I see a Seasonic review and my reaction is 'Oh. Another best-in-class unit, probably, let's just skip to the end. Yup - just let me know when you blow one up, k?' Yawn

As someone who's written a few hardware reviews in the, er, past, I feel a little sad for all those middle pages of Seasonic PSU reviews with the testing that the reviewer had to write up. The page links are so achingly easy to click; the prospect of a little inside joke or a poignant turn of phrase shared between the reviewer and the reader is tempting; and yet I'll never read them because for fuck's sake it's Seasonic of course it got a gold award why would I buy anything else? Like seriously what is even the point of ANY PSU review anymore? The only info we need is expected wattage for a given hardware set so that we know the minimum spec Seasonic PSU to buy.

I haven't been to JonnyGuru in like half a decade yet they still wish me a happy birthday without fail like some poor neglected child. Thanks, Seasonic.

LOL!
I see a Seasonic review and my reaction is 'Oh. Another best-in-class unit, probably, let's just skip to the end. Yup - just let me know when you blow one up, k?' Yawn
We try our best. If the damn testing equipment did not cost thousands of dollars to purchase AND maintain, I would suggest we go for 125% of rated power during testing for Seasonic. ;)

A phenominal & outstanding unit to say the least. I have the Titanium version powering my current system right now without so much as a flinch! An excellent value for the performance it supplies!

Thx Kyle!

A phenominal & outstanding unit to say the least. I have the Titanium version powering my current system right now without so much as a flinch! An excellent value for the performance it supplies!

Thx Kyle!

I'm building my new pc with the titanium version of this PSU, was actually slightly cheaper then the platinum version.

Thx Kyle!
Paul does all the heavy lifting, I just get all the glory.

That's one PSU which goes high on the list. A not-so small point: you really need to report the form factor (ATX) of the PSU on the first page, and preferably in the title of the article or the subtitle paragraph. I got majorly confused when you said it was pint-sized, because it looked like an ATX PSU, but that made me think it might be SFX-L. Even when you allude to it on the third page you don't explicitly state that its form factor is ATX.

(BTW it would be nice to filter PSU reviews by form factor as well as manufacturer. Motherboard reviews too.)

Second page, what does the * next to the 4 mean for the 8 pin PCI Express Connectors?

Yep, its the fact that they are 6+2 connector.
Cool, thanks. With all the so many other PSU "makers" outsourcing to so many other companies and it being so hard to figure out who REALLY made them, I plan to just buy Seasonic from here out.

Back