Seasonic Power Supplies so good, you can drop kick them and they still run!

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Vapor1000, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Vapor1000

Vapor1000 Gawd

See i knew that there was a reason Seasonic became my defacto go to and favorite overall power supply manufacturer after PCP&C was sold off to OCZ over 10 years ago.

I ordered a Seasonic X-Series 1250w gold off ebay about a month ago. It was being shipped from the the United Kingdom to Oklahoma, USA.

I just got it in tonight, and while i am very saddened that it looked like this after shipping. I am quite amazed that it appears to be running without issue on my test bench right now.

Here's some pics of the PSU Gore.

IMG_0075[1].JPG

IMG_0076[1].JPG

IMG_0077[1].JPG

And yet it works!

IMG_0074[1].JPG

Just in case someone was curious what it was shipped in (it did not come in the retail box with the protective foam obviously)

IMG_0072[1].JPG

Seasonic Rep likes this.
  2. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

Oh dam! That sucker sure took a beating on it's journey. Glad it's working tho! Maybe taking the shell apart and tapping/bending it back in shape. Should be an easy fix.

I don't understand how ppl in other countries don't put enough padding around something heavy knowing full well it's got a long way to travel is beyond me.

3. Vapor1000

Vapor1000 Gawd

Yup, i have already starte to dissasemble the unit. I will say this is quite the tricky power supply to fully take apart.

However will say that the [H]ardOCP review on this particular unit and the detailed pictures they took of the power supply fully disassembled were SUUUUPER helpful in figuring out how to take the unit appart.

Apparently the side wall is screwed into the PCB also (and that is what i mostly credit to the psu not being damaged beyond repair. that extra support). However it is screewed into the pcb from the bottom, so i have to actually take the pcb out before i can do take the side off (the part that actually needs to be bent back into shape).

The plus side, is having to take it apart fully to get it back into shape is forcing me to clean the power supply out fully... Get all that British dust out of there!

4. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

Well be sure to post of the disassembly and the after pics. Of course without that British dust, lmao!

Good luck!

5. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex Limp Gawd

Be certain to protect yourself from capacitor discharge during disassembly!

Stroke of luck and a beast a PSU, though. I might consider one of those for me next if/when I go 1080 SLI. :)

6. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Get you a small flat hammer from harbor freight or a block of wood. Square up the corner with any straight angled wall and tap the frame back into shape

7. Vapor1000

Vapor1000 Gawd

One of two reasons i stopped taking apart any further last night was because i had plugged it in to test it less than an hour before. To let the caps drain overnight.

Second of those 2 reasons, is i didnt have any screwdrivers skinny enough on hand to get the back 2 screws that are between the back face of the shell and the pcb that goes against it that presents the connectors for the modular cables!

Thanks for the tip! i'll prolly try that because my intention was just to get some plyers a towel and pry it back into shape.

8. McCHillin

McCHillin n00bie

Hey vapor, If you want I could fix the case, it won't be perfect, but a lot better than it could be.
    I have several years of experience working with sheet metal and it would give my OCD something to to torture me with if that thing looks worse put back together than it does now.

Vapor1000 likes this.
  9. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

Now THAT is a great offer! I worked at a body shop so I'm also OCD, lol!

McCHillin likes this.
  10. Seasonic Rep

Seasonic Rep Official Seasonic Representative

Hi Vapor 1000,

Glad our PSU made it after crossing Atlantic Ocean and having such a hard trip. Anyway, seems this good old X-1250 will have a second life with you. Take good care of you when opening it and we do hope it will serve you few more years.

Cheers,

McCHillin, Vapor1000 and Nebulous like this.