Seasonic Platinum-660 660W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic Platinum-660 660W Power Supply Review - Seasonic's new SS-660XP comes to us boasting high end PSU features in what we can consider a smaller wattage package than what we are used to seeing. This PSU has a fully modular design, great efficiency, optional Hybrid fan control allowing fanless, silent, and normal cooling modes. Does Seasonic have another winner?

I love my seasonic x-760. If I needed to get another PSU wouldnt hesitate one second to get another seasonic seeing as how they keep making quality PSUs. Good to see they are quite consistent with the quality of all their PSUs.

ROFL! :p

Compared to other units we have reviewed in this general realm, oh wait that wouldn’t be fair to other units.......

Seasonic has been one of my favorite brands over the years. Glad to see they are still producing quality products. :)

Seasonic fan boy just checking in cause they rock. Best PSU maker out there.

"Paul's Thoughts: Is anyone still reading at this point of the review today? I mean, I don’t know what you really want me to say here since I would have bought this unit after page 4. Well, I guess, relative to other Seasonic units, like the PLATINUM-1000, this unit is kind of homely which isn’t ideal, but other than that this unit is just plain money! Did you read page 4? So, uh, with what little there is to say there, I should probably point out that Amazon is that ----> way."

This part made me giggle a bit :)

Don't get to see Paul excited very often, or just plain pissy. Takes a "special" unit to move him to either side of the scale.

THIS is the PSU for my next build! The various charts say I only need 500-550 Watts, but I'm fond of overkill (within limits). This PSU is the perfect size and price, not to mention Seasonic made. The best PSU Hardforum has reviewed? High praise indeed! Thanks for the great review AND the excitement.

Seasonic has always been my favorite PSU maker, because they are the best.

THIS is the PSU for my next build! The various charts say I only need 500-550 Watts, but I'm fond of overkill (within limits). This PSU is the perfect size and price, not to mention Seasonic made. The best PSU Hardforum has reviewed? High praise indeed! Thanks for the great review AND the excitement.

Same here. Definitely going to be my PSU for my next computer. I don't overclock but it's nice to have some legroom in case I need the extra power.

best voltage regulation ever and it's $129.9 after $20 MIR in Newegg

This amazing PSU is only $90 at the egg right now!!!

$140 - $30 (promo code) - $20 (MIR) = $90.

Even if you think MIR are BS and don't count on them, that's still $110 for (perhaps) the best PSU on the planet right now. GO GET IT.

Great review, I think I will be trading up to one of these in the near future, likely the 760W version.

Just wondering ... does the 1000 watt version of this PSU still come with the "older" multi-color (red/yellow/black wires) power cables or the "newer" ALL-BLACK flat ribbon cables?

Just wondering ... does the 1000 watt version of this PSU still come with the "older" multi-color (red/yellow/black wires) power cables or the "newer" ALL-BLACK flat ribbon cables?

Good question.
I got the Platinum 660 for my newest build and I didn't know how nice the cables were till seeing this review. I'd like to get some of these cables for my 860 platinum as well if possible.

Good question.
I got the Platinum 660 for my newest build and I didn't know how nice the cables were till seeing this review. I'd like to get some of these cables for my 860 platinum as well if possible.

I wonder if any/all Seasonic modular cables are compatible with other Seasonic units in their model line(s). I know people had problems swapping different model Corsair cables between their model lines. And I'd never cross swap modular cables between different vendors/manufacturers unless I was 100000000000000000% sure they were compatible.

I wonder if any/all Seasonic modular cables are compatible with other Seasonic units in their model line(s). I know people had problems swapping different model Corsair cables between their model lines. And I'd never cross swap modular cables between different vendors/manufacturers unless I was 100000000000000000% sure they were compatible.

I am going to compare the 660W and 860W cables and see what the differences are if any.

I will be looking at the quantity and size of conductors used.

If the quantity and size is the same and the connection fittings are the same the wires should be compatible.

Not completely compatible.

The power cables have the same amount of conductors and the conductors insulation are marked to be the same size and rating of wire.

20+4Pin connector has a different design and is not compatible.

The other cables look like they are compatible

Strange thing is the 860 cables seem like they are thicker or have thicker insulation but the marking on both sets of wires are the same.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using the 660 cables on the 860 unless I spoke to Seasonic support and they said it was ok.

The main 20+4Pin cable is NOT COMPATIBLE because of the design of the connectors going to the PSU.

ROFL! :p

Seasonic has been one of my favorite brands over the years. Glad to see they are still producing quality products. :)

yes thank god, they have always been great and are usually the hardware behind the success of brands like pc power and cooling BEFORE ocz bought them, several models of corsair power supplies, xfx power supplies and other.

seasonic psu hardware is the only thing I use both for my personal rigs and for others.

Back