Seasonic Platinum 1000w OR 860w, which runs cooler?

MeanBruce

Gawd
Under the same load conditions would the 1000w Seasonic Platinum produce more heat than the 860w or would they both produce the same amount of heat? Considering getting the 1000w since the fan will not come on until it reaches 30% of load or 300watts, verses 260watts for the 860w. Not really much difference, but would rather go with the 860w if it runs cooler under the same load. Thank you in advance, any advice is appreciated...;)

Bruce

Depends on the efficiency at the load level. Higher efficiency = lower heat output.

The fan controllers are not load sensors, but rather temperature sensors, at least the way I understand it. But the 1000w will have larger heatsinks, which probably would dissipate the heat better with less airflow needed. However, I highly doubt that the difference would be enough to matter.

I don't think it would be enough difference to worry about imo. The larger PSU would prob run just a hair cooler like stated since you would not be running it to or near its full capabilities.

I would gladly spend the extra $30 and get the 1000w if it is going to put out slightly less heat at the same load. Also the fan should remain off up to 300watts or 30% of load, another plus. I want to see like everyone else what Corsair is going to do with both of these Seasonic designs and then pick up the Corsair Platinum 1000, it should be amazing and supports Corsair Link hardware and software!;)

Well, most every PSU i've seen reviewed is most efficient when tested at ~50% load. I think the seasonic 1000 was around 90%, and id imagine the 860 was similar. If you're looking for every last bit of efficiency (and less heat), then buy based on whichever psu is double your systems wattage.

If you really want that last little edge, run your computer on 220V. Every single PSU i've seen reviewed has higher efficiency on 220V than 110V.

I'll be powering:

Asus Rampage 4 Mainboard
Corsair Vengeance 4X4GB
Intel 3820 CPU
Corsair H100 Cooler
Asus DirectCU AMD 6870
Intel X25-M SSD
DVD drive
2X200mm fans
2X120mm fans
and about 6 USB devices external drives and stuff

just waiting on the CPU to be released February 13th, next month. Right now using a Corsair AX850!;)

why on earth are you replacing an AX850? your new rig specs suggest a half decent 650W would be more than necessary.

You are right, the AX850 is just fine, in fact it's Amazing, and really I am wanting to check out the new Corsair 860w and 1000w Platinums when they are announced, both are based on these two Seasonic designs. I am sort of a quiet enthusiast, I spend more on hardware than I need, to keep things really quiet. Bruce

...and the new Corsairs will support the Corsair Link Hardware/Software, cool to know when your hybrid fan is running and when its not, and also monitor internal PSU temps, the Seasonics don't do that but the Corsairs will YAY!;)

Last edited:
You are right, the AX850 is just fine, in fact it's Amazing, and really I am wanting to check out the new Corsair 860w and 1000w Platinums when they are announced, both are based on these two Seasonic designs. I am sort of a quiet enthusiast, I spend more on hardware than I need, to keep things really quiet. Bruce!;)
The fan in your AX850 won't even turn on at the loads your PC places on it. I don't see how you could get more quiet than that.

I know, you are right, I just want to go Platinum. Does anyone know what comes after Platinum? Is there even a spec or listing? Um Radium?;) Seasonic and Corsair seem to come out with a new level of efficiency every 12 to 18 months, wonder how they will top 92%. How high can engineering take it? seems it will top out somewhere below 100%, has to. How do you check the power draw on a psu that is so cool, software or some sort of meter? Got some LED desk lamps the other day they run off 12v also, maybe out homes will start being wired with 12v DC outlets, that would be cool.

I know, you are right, I just want to go Platinum. Does anyone know what comes after Platinum? Is there even a spec or listing? Um Radium?;) Seasonic and Corsair seem to come out with a new level of efficiency every 12 to 18 months, wonder how they will top 92%. How high can engineering take it? seems it will top out somewhere below 100%, has to. How do you check the power draw on a psu that is so cool, software or some sort of meter? Got some LED desk lamps the other day they run off 12v also, maybe out homes will start being wired with 12v DC outlets, that would be cool.

#1: a kill-a-watt meter. Google it. It works on a toaster, too. Operating temp of the measured device isn't relevant.
#2: that would be dumb. the transmission losses in low voltage power transmission are massive - you'd need 000 gauge wires in the wall just to make it feasible.

Well thats why I come here, to learn. Just seems if lighting all goes 12V it is silly to keep dropping and converting 120AC, maybe when LEDs take off. Right now the LED lamps Verilux are so cool to the touch they put out hardly any heat, yet the power converters/transformers that plug into the wall or power strip just pump out heat, doesn't seem worth it, but I am not an engineer. Thanks for the information!;)

That's a good way to learn, but sometimes "trial-by-fire" can be fun, too. Just don't try it at home ;)

Power loss due to current in transmission lines is based on the square of the current. So, increasing the voltage by a factor of 10 decreases current by a factor of 10 and heat loss by a factor of 100; this is why transmission lines run up to 765,000 volts. Also, it is much easier and more efficient to change AC-AC voltage than it is to change DC-DC voltage.

Additionally, the cost to change existing infrastructure would be tremendous, probably on the order of billions. Why fix something that isn't broken?

This would be a good link for you to read up.

Also, getting a new power supply for better efficiency when you already have a high efficiency power supply is just plain stupid to me. Especially on such a low power system. You will save 3-4? watts at full load. Your system should be run with a 550 watt power supply or less. If you want, get the Enermax Platinum 550 watt. Between the 850 and the 1000, the difference would be so negligible it probably can't even be measured. I can see much better places to put your money than a power supply at this point in time (i.e. your graphics card).

I think I am just considering the Platinum Corsair because it will support Corsair Link and a Corsair rep told me my AX-850 would not.;)

...and a little more efficiency can't hurt, can always use the AX-850 in a secondary rig I am building.

I think I am just considering the Platinum Corsair because it will support Corsair Link and a Corsair rep told me my AX-850 would not.;)

...and a little more efficiency can't hurt, can always use the AX-850 in a secondary rig I am building.
There are no Platinum-certified Corsair PSUs.

now that ive seen this, i must have that kilowat seasonic platinum.

yeah I just got one. The only thing I don't like is that the cables are kinda short... but it is dead quiet 90% of the time. When it does spin up though it get's pretty loud... still not as loud as the 6950 blasting away though.

Well thats why I come here, to learn. Just seems if lighting all goes 12V it is silly to keep dropping and converting 120AC, maybe when LEDs take off. Right now the LED lamps Verilux are so cool to the touch they put out hardly any heat, yet the power converters/transformers that plug into the wall or power strip just pump out heat, doesn't seem worth it, but I am not an engineer. Thanks for the information!;)
An unvented power brick may seem hot to the touch, but a small block (lets call it huge @ 2"x2"x3") of plastic with a surface temp of 40C compared to a box venting 40CFM @ 35C, the box is putting out waaaaaay more heat.
you can't judge power output by surface temp.

The Corsair Platinums most likely have been delayed because the Seasonics were both delayed. The Seasonic 1000w is out now, but the 860w is just about to become available so it would probably be March or April/May for the new Corsairs, they will be slightly modified and engineered by Corsair from the Seasonic designs as always, so the Corsair design team has to be working on them now and they never comment on unannounced hardware. BUT when I asked the Corsair Rep. just how great the new PSUs would be, he said just three words, “Think Flux Capacitor!” so I am pretty sure you can expect the amazing.

Last edited:
The Corsair Platinums most likely have been delayed because the Seasonics were both delayed. The Seasonic 1000w is out now, but the 860w is just about to become available so it would probably be March or April/May for the new Corsairs, they will be slightly modified and engineered by Corsair from the Seasonic designs as always, so the Corsair design team has to be working on them now and they never comment on unannounced hardware. BUT when I asked the Corsair Rep. just how great the new PSUs would be, he said just three words, “Think Flux Capacitor!” so I am pretty sure you can expect the amazing.

The Seasonic 860w came out on time..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151111&Tpk=seasonic 8

So do we have confirmation that corsair is using the seasonic platinum platform and will it have the same San Deko hybrid fan system and just how will the corsair link improve on the auto sensor in the unit already?

All we have is a Corsair representative saying "wait for our Platinum PSUs they will support Corsair Link and will be as advanced as a Flux Capacitor!" He was joking of course but trying to give a rough idea how amazing the new PSUs will be, without being able to release any details. For details you have to look at the Corsair business model, for their AX series they used the Seasonic hybrid designs if they do so again which is the most likely scenario, they will be based on the current Seasonic 1000w and 860w platinums. There is never confirmation until the official announcement; all we can do is reasonably extrapolate, and cross our fingers!;)

Back