Seasonic or NZXT?

daws0n

Weaksauce
Time for a new power supply... After much research, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Seasonic X-560 (£100)
NZXT Halo90 650W (£93) (Super Flower Golden King OEM build)
XFX 650W XXX Semi Modular (£72) (Seasonic SS-650HW build)

The Corsair AX lines look decent too, but they're very expensive here in the UK and finding a <750W is nigh on impossible! Here are my specs:

i5 750
HD6870
8GB RAM
2 HDDs
2 DVD-RWs
5 case fans

Looks like any of them will power things nicely, so my main concern is build quality/longevity. The Seasonic seems the best quality, but I am not sure the 560W will be sufficient in the long term - I plan to keep the PSU through at least another two builds over the next few years.

I have read good things about the Halo90, so that's my top choice at the moment.

Any thoughts guys?

daws0n

Weaksauce
Hmm just got the heads up on the new be quiet! BN200 DARK POWER PRO 10 550W model. Another promising unit for £100....

daws0n

Weaksauce
Thanks Jorona - much appreciate the feedback, I'll look into those!

Jason_CL

CaseLabs Forum Rep
Some of our units are actually made by Seasonic, so either way, you'd be getting a Seasonic if you bought theirs or NZXT's. :b

I will say, that you should NOT skimp on your PSU. If there's one piece of hardware you should never, ever skimp on, it's a PSU. They can literally make or break your entire system. I've had a couple of friends who went with cheap PSU solutions and end up losing nearly everything. So, please, for your sake and your hardware's, buy a good PSU.

flyingears

Weaksauce
Some of our units are actually made by Seasonic, so either way, you'd be getting a Seasonic if you bought theirs or NZXT's. :b

I will say, that you should NOT skimp on your PSU. If there's one piece of hardware you should never, ever skimp on, it's a PSU. They can literally make or break your entire system. I've had a couple of friends who went with cheap PSU solutions and end up losing nearly everything. So, please, for your sake and your hardware's, buy a good PSU.

100% yes dont skimp on the psu. Its something you cant just upgrade later if it blows up half of your other components with it.

Nexillus

[H]ard|Gawd
I always go with a solid PSU as if you dont have a good one will pay for it sometime in the future with it giving problems or not enough power.

GeneO

Limp Gawd
The new Seasonic X series are really nice PSU, very stable and quiet and fully modular. I would go with one of these with a wattage that will give you some headroom for the future.

Jason_CL

CaseLabs Forum Rep
The new Seasonic X series are really nice PSU, very stable and quiet and fully modular. I would go with one of these with a wattage that will give you some headroom for the future.

I will say, I just bought a X850, and it is one badass PSU (unless you're sleeving the 24-29 pin motherboard header, then that's a pain). Other than that one minor nitpick, it IS a fantastic PSU. Fully modular, very classy looking, lots of room for connectors.

roney1

n00b
I like the Seasonic. "Based on" isn't a good enough reason for me to exchange one of the best PSU brands in the world for something that may or may not be of the same quality.;)

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Dont skimp on the PSU is right, its the one item you rarely need to upgrade and is the base for stability of the system.

I would get the seasonic because white is going to clash with most setups if you change anything in the future, black will go with almost any case.

I really like the corsair HX series because they have a nice compact black cord for all their parts.

GeneO

Limp Gawd
The new Seasonic cables are completely black and all but the MB are flat like the Corsair cables.

They also support 10 SATA power connectors and 6 PC_E connectors up from 8 and 4 the last generation. Seasonic claim the voltage tolerances for these 2012 models is +/- 1% now.

Last edited:

Anticommon

Weaksauce
I'd say get Seasonic, they are one of the best brands IMO and very high quality. Can't really go wrong with that, especially if it's your cheapest option. You should end up with way more than enough connections for your components, heck I even put together a similar build for my brothers with a corsair 430W PSU and it works just fine.