Seasonic M12II-620 for I7 3930k build?

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
Usually I provide myself plenty of headroom on my builds, so I have no idea what I was thinking with this one. Anyway, two computers for my research lab have already been ordered with the following, and I need to know if the Seasonic M12II-620 PSU will be sufficient, as returning it will be a bit difficult.

Core i7 3930k @ stock speed
Corsair H60 cooler
Samsung 830 Series SSD
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS (1x currently; 4x in future)
nVidia GT 430
MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) mobo
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB)

My guesstimation is that this thing will draw maybe ~500W at full load (~350W for CPU plus 150W for the rest?), which is 80% of stated output. Note that we'll be running the machine at full load for considerable amounts of time (e.g. days, weeks), so stability is crucial. That said, it's comforting that this PSU passed the [H] torture test with flying colors.

Honestly I have no idea what type of power 64GB of memory draws. Hard drives, budget vid card, fans, cooler pump--I figure that's not gonna make or break things. I just don't want to find a fried $2k machine one morning...

Comfortably enough.. why would a 3930K draw 350W at stock speed?.. or 250W for that matter?... everything else sums up to below 100W since the VGA you chose requires negligible amounts of power.

That is peak power(at the wall) for the entire system(higher end mobo, GTX 570, etc) on an Bronze CWT PUC unit, which means 85% efficiency(feeling generous).. that translates into an actuall load of around 280W for the entire system(as you most likely know, power supplies are rated at output and not input) while running Prim95 small FFTs(the equivalent of Furmakr for GPUs if you will, is essentially a power bug and in no way indicative of power draw under any typical load, it's the maximum theoretical value you'll see)... in other words, you're dealing with well below 200W CPU at stock clocks.

The PSU you have chosen is more than enough. You could run the same rig with a GTX 590 and have enough to spare for additional drives and such.

Back