Seasonic has a new take on cable management.

It would be nice to not have to break out a flash light to try and wiggle a new cable in to add a sata power or something after your stuff is all put together. A lot of good cases out there that are a pita to run new cables into if your changing things out or adding something that needs a cable.

I love this idea, and I hope Seasonic is planning to build their own cases. There are a lot of great cases but they are one of the companies around that I think I might be ok paying a premium for. Their power supplies are worth a little extra... and I would love to see them design a case around this idea and sell it together as a package.

This is one of the things that is cool about this. Yes, cases already have integrated wire management, but that usually involves screw in covered panels, zipties and velcro, making it a pain to change or add to your cable cluster. This eliminates most of those zip ties and velcro while adding easy access. If you measured and ordered custom cables you would even want to show it off like you do in the front because if positioned right the cables would lay flat on both sides.

Last edited:
Can it be watercooled?

Looks like an interesting idea, only concern is all the power going thru the wire bundle between the PSU and the breakout box. I have 1500W or so PSU, it would probably need double the number of wires between PSU and the breakout box than that one has. My cables all run under the mobo already, but this looks like it would make the routing easier and cleaner.

Seasonic is backing it with 10 year warranty too.

People and their cleanliness.....
LONG LIVE THE RAT'S NESTS!!!! :)
Shame I never snapped a few of inside my case, wasn't a mess, but tied up.
PICT0023.JPG

Love this. Would eliminate a lot of time figuring out how to route cables and securing them. Routing the EPS cable is always a pain in the ass, so I especially love the port for it being right in the perfect spot on the breakout box. Now if only motherboard manufacturers would come up with a better way to orientate SATA ports...

1583424297250.png

Love this. Would eliminate a lot of time figuring out how to route cables and securing them. Routing the EPS cable is always a pain in the ass, so I especially love the port for it being right in the perfect spot on the breakout box. Now if only motherboard manufacturers would come up with a better way to orientate SATA ports...

View attachment 227949
Looks really clean! Almost makes me wanna go back to mid size cases.

Not a bad idea, too bad there are a ton of cases out there with little room in the back to fit one of these. It is also a shame every PSU maker has to use different non standard connections on their PSUs. If that was standardized, you could use this on any PSU out there. That would make it much esier to get this out there as a standard and get adopted.

A company called Ultra did something like this a number of years ago. I think it was poorly executed, but I thought it was a great idea.

Would be awesome for a not-so-small ITX case. The NZXT H210 for example has plenty of room behind the back panel yet the PSU routing is so far from the motherboard connectors that many SFF PSU 24-pin cables won't reach without a custom cable or extension (My Corsair SF600 in the H210 is like this).

A company called Ultra did something like this a number of years ago. I think it was poorly executed, but I thought it was a great idea.
Ultra is probably why no one remembers. You'd only go with Ultra if you wanted your PC to blow up.

Ultra is probably why no one remembers. You'd only go with Ultra if you wanted your PC to blow up.
It wasn't actually an Ultra power supply, it was just a panel in the case. I know what you mean though.

Would be awesome for a not-so-small ITX case. The NZXT H210 for example has plenty of room behind the back panel yet the PSU routing is so far from the motherboard connectors that many SFF PSU 24-pin cables won't reach without a custom cable or extension (My Corsair SF600 in the H210 is like this).
I definitely can see it on a not so small ITX case if Seasonic sale a version for a smaller connector bar. I will be really interested if Seasonic manage to create an even psu smaller than SFX with the connector bar for SFF cases.

though like even seasonic said when they first started showing this off last year is that it was for a nitche market for people that do double sided tempered glass panel cases.

This makes sense if you really wanted a two sided fully acrylic case where nothing can hide. It's a slightly more attractive box than having a bunch of cables stacked together. Outside of that though I'm not really seeing the point. If you have enough room for this, then you have enough room to just stack all your cables in the same area. If you're concerned about getting custom cables for this, then you could just get custom cables for your fully modular PSU, and get rid of all the additional cable length / connectors you're not using.

Cables started becoming super long because everyone got super huge cases, and I'm not sure this does much to address that. If you have a large case you're hoping that this lines up perfectly in yours. If it doesn't, then you'll somehow need to route cables to make it work. If your drives are down by your PSU, but now all of the connections are on the back side of the case, then you'll need longer cables to run back to those. What most people really need is a mix of cables instead of getting 4 sata cables all with the same length and number of connectors on them. Sure you could be using 12 sata connections, but in reality you probably have one or two and it's not 24" from the PSU. One other common trend of late is to now cram two 6 + 2 pin PCI - E connectors on the same cable. I really dislike those as it has to be the 1% of the 1% that's planning on using 4 GPUs in their case. Once again the default could be a pair of cables with only 1 PCI - E connector, and a second cable with two on it. Most people are just going to opt for the single PCI cable, but the other one is there if needed. The small minority can just pick up an additional cable so the majority doesn't need all these extra ends just hanging around.

This makes sense if you really wanted a two sided fully acrylic case where nothing can hide. It's a slightly more attractive box than having a bunch of cables stacked together. Outside of that though I'm not really seeing the point. If you have enough room for this, then you have enough room to just stack all your cables in the same area. If you're concerned about getting custom cables for this, then you could just get custom cables for your fully modular PSU, and get rid of all the additional cable length / connectors you're not using.

Cables started becoming super long because everyone got super huge cases, and I'm not sure this does much to address that. If you have a large case you're hoping that this lines up perfectly in yours. If it doesn't, then you'll somehow need to route cables to make it work. If your drives are down by your PSU, but now all of the connections are on the back side of the case, then you'll need longer cables to run back to those. What most people really need is a mix of cables instead of getting 4 sata cables all with the same length and number of connectors on them. Sure you could be using 12 sata connections, but in reality you probably have one or two and it's not 24" from the PSU. One other common trend of late is to now cram two 6 + 2 pin PCI - E connectors on the same cable. I really dislike those as it has to be the 1% of the 1% that's planning on using 4 GPUs in their case. Once again the default could be a pair of cables with only 1 PCI - E connector, and a second cable with two on it. Most people are just going to opt for the single PCI cable, but the other one is there if needed. The small minority can just pick up an additional cable so the majority doesn't need all these extra ends just hanging around.
im entertaining the idea of custom cables or maybe just modding them as needed, because of the reasons you mentioned. :)

People and their cleanliness.....
LONG LIVE THE RAT'S NESTS!!!! :)
Shame I never snapped a few of inside my case, wasn't a mess, but tied up.
View attachment 227946
LOL remember the sign some folks had on their desk-mess that read "don't touch this mess, it's organized" ? I noticed in your photo the blue LAN cord that's coiled and tied up neatly ... so I'm figuring there's still hope for you :)

I read abou 100 reviews on the Seasonic prime PSU the main complaint was starting on fire just dying or frying MBs.

im entertaining the idea of custom cables or maybe just modding them as needed, because of the reasons you mentioned. :)

At one point in time it used to be a bigger deal. Back in the molex days it was very easy to use those tap style plugs and just cut off the excess wire. Really though outside of sata ends, most cables are just some type of crimped pin over the end of the wire. So you should be able to get a tool and some ends and make your own easy enough.

Can it be watercooled?

Looks like an interesting idea, only concern is all the power going thru the wire bundle between the PSU and the breakout box. I have 1500W or so PSU, it would probably need double the number of wires between PSU and the breakout box than that one has. My cables all run under the mobo already, but this looks like it would make the routing easier and cleaner.

Seasonic is backing it with 10 year warranty too.

A single 12g copper wire is rated for 41a in a chassis wiring scenario, So, your PSU could get by with 4 of em.

I like the concept. This is about as close to a central bus as we're going to get until standards get updated. This one backplane is probably not going to work for most builds, but if it's modular, then Seasonic could produce different size & form factor backplanes to fit different builds.

If OEMs really wanted to clean up wiring, then they'd start with updating standards. A 24-pin ATX plug has only 7 unique lines with everything but the 12V being very low amperage. With CPUs already using auxiliary connectors with dedicated 12V, I'd drop the 12V from the main motherboard connector entirely. Speaking of heavy power delivery over 12V, the primary reason for the big mess of wires is that the _connectors_ are only rated for so many amps per pin. If OEMs moved up from the barrel pins to blades, we could drop the wire count for GPUs by 80% and CPUs 75%.

That all begs the question: why are we even still using 12V for 1000+W power delivery? Step that up to 24V and switch to blades, and now suddenly we can cut every GPU power run down to just two wires.

I like the concept. This is about as close to a central bus as we're going to get until standards get updated. This one backplane is probably not going to work for most builds, but if it's modular, then Seasonic could produce different size & form factor backplanes to fit different builds.

If OEMs really wanted to clean up wiring, then they'd start with updating standards. A 24-pin ATX plug has only 7 unique lines with everything but the 12V being very low amperage. With CPUs already using auxiliary connectors with dedicated 12V, I'd drop the 12V from the main motherboard connector entirely. Speaking of heavy power delivery over 12V, the primary reason for the big mess of wires is that the _connectors_ are only rated for so many amps per pin. If OEMs moved up from the barrel pins to blades, we could drop the wire count for GPUs by 80% and CPUs 75%.

That all begs the question: why are we even still using 12V for 1000+W power delivery? Step that up to 24V and switch to blades, and now suddenly we can cut every GPU power run down to just two wires.

Pretty much, it is a standard that has hotfix after hotfix applied and no one would man up and revamped it. Even Apple has been using bus bar screw terminals straight into the mainboard since 2013.

Pretty much, it is a standard that has hotfix after hotfix applied and no one would man up and revamped it. Even Apple has been using bus bar screw terminals straight into the mainboard since 2013.
The problem is just like Windows: no one has the balls to cut off support for all the hardware that is already out there. It has to happen at some point, though, or else we're going to be stuck in the stone age.

LTT has a new vid featuring the psu. The interesting part is the price, only 169. That is just a 20 dollar premium over the prime gx 750.

Still can't find it for sale
My god I can't stand that guy
Fast forwarded to the end and it does look much cleaner.

Yeah, it looks much cleaner... but my case doesn't have clear sides, and I could give fuck all for having super tidy cables using something like that.

Looking good. That would have worked well with my old case (dual tempered glass). And not that expensive.

Back