Seasonic focus PX vs Prime GX vs Fractal ion+

TFD

n00b
In the process of building a new PC and debating which PSU to put in. Looking for quiet and stable PSU, I narrowed it down to the following:
Seasonic focus PX: Good reviews, good efficiency, relative quiet, has smaller fan which might be more noisy, less quality components than prime GX?
Seasonic prime GX: Couldn't find any reviews, has larger fan which should be more quiet than focus, longer warranty than focus PX. Unknown efficiency compared to focus PX
Fractal ion+: Good reviews, quiet, and very flexible cables making routing easy, however efficiency at low power is bad (at 2% load its <50%)
BeQuiet straight power 11: Seems quiet relative stable however only 5 year warranty making me doubt the quality.

These are my thoughts but have no idea which to pick, I kind of have ruled out the BeQuiet but still not sure if I should go for the focus, prime or even fractal. I am leaning towards the prime since I believe a larger fan will be more silent plus probably better components, not sure about the efficiency though.

The PSU will end up powering and AMD 3800X, 2070super, SSD's and a whole bunch of rgb fans, stips. Possible upgrade towards ryzen 3950 or 4000 series and newer GPU's. Currently I am looking at the 750W versions (which is too much power I know) because the 650w are almost impossible to get at the moment.

I know I am overthinking this and any of these power supplies will do fine but any thoughts and input about my selection would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, welcome to the [H], TFD!

Seasonic recently changed their naming scheme to a more compact design. P=80+ platinum, G=80+ gold. Prime units are the flagships and made to a higher standard (and price) than the Focus units. Both are on the whole very good choices, and 10 vs 12 years warranty isn't that big a difference to the vast majority of people other than knowing the company (rightly) stands by their product. Here's a review of the GX-850 (under its old name "Prime 850W Gold", it's the same unit). 750W is a good wattage to go with considering your parts and upgrade plans. The key is ~50% load when you first put the system together to maximize efficiency and have the right overhead for upgrades and unit ageing (which lowers total output capacity over time).

Of your options, I would get the Prime GX. My personal philosophy in the matter, (and you'll see it from many of us on here), is never skimp on the PSU, because it has the power (heh) to destroy everything inside that case if something goes wrong.

Give a look-see at the Prime PX's, too. Slightly better efficiency and an even better build quality. On Newegg and Amazon they are sometimes found on sale at GX prices, which makes them the better buy, but it's not something you need to wait for.

First of all, welcome to the [H], TFD!

Seasonic recently changed their naming scheme to a more compact design. P=80+ platinum, G=80+ gold. Prime units are the flagships and made to a higher standard (and price) than the Focus units. Both are on the whole very good choices, and 10 vs 12 years warranty isn't that big a difference to the vast majority of people other than knowing the company (rightly) stands by their product. Here's a review of the GX-850 (under its old name "Prime 850W Gold", it's the same unit). 750W is a good wattage to go with considering your parts and upgrade plans. The key is ~50% load when you first put the system together to maximize efficiency and have the right overhead for upgrades and unit ageing (which lowers total output capacity over time).

Of your options, I would get the Prime GX. My personal philosophy in the matter, (and you'll see it from many of us on here), is never skimp on the PSU, because it has the power (heh) to destroy everything inside that case if something goes wrong.

Give a look-see at the Prime PX's, too. Slightly better efficiency and an even better build quality. On Newegg and Amazon they are sometimes found on sale at GX prices, which makes them the better buy, but it's not something you need to wait for.

Thank you for the reply, and I agree about not skimping on the PSU. I took a look at the Prime PX and for $20 more I might be tempted however I am not sure how much more efficient it will be esp at lower loads. Sadly no deals at the moment and the Prime PX isn't available for the next 2 weeks.

Thank you for the reply, and I agree about not skimping on the PSU. I took a look at the Prime PX and for $20 more I might be tempted however I am not sure how much more efficient it will be esp at lower loads. Sadly no deals at the moment and the Prime PX isn't available for the next 2 weeks.

Platinum is only a couple points higher in efficiency over Gold, so aside from build quality, most people who don't use their systems continuously at full power won't realize the savings in electrical costs over the increased price. 80+ Titanium upped the efficiency game at the low end of PSU utilization (90% efficiency at 10% usage), but they cost even more and generally represent the highest quality units you can get (Prime TX).

If you're ready to buy and get everything put together, go ahead and grab that Prime GX.

Reactions: TFD
like this
Back