Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Platinum 850W PSU Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Platinum 850W PSU Review

850 watt computer power supplies from Seasonic are nothing new to us, but Seasonic is taking a bit of a different direction with this Focus line of PSUs. The Focus Plus Platinum has been designed with a small footprint in mind, specifically built for those looking to build high powered small form factor computers like HTPCs.

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Last edited:
I've become clairvoyant saw seasonic and gold popped into my head. :). Time for a new level possibly Platinum for the company that gold is getting to be old hat.

I've become clairvoyant saw seasonic and gold popped into my head. :). Time for a new level possibly Platinum for the company that gold is getting to be old hat.
Almost always...

upload_2018-6-27_10-10-34.png

Any expert guidance as to when to pick a focus unit or a prime unit? Or perhaps your educated opinion on the advantages of a prime unit over a focus unit?

Any expert guidance as to when to pick a focus unit or a prime unit? Or perhaps your educated opinion on the advantages of a prime unit over a focus unit?
What are you going to use it for exactly?

Or perhaps your educated opinion on the advantages of a prime unit over a focus unit?

The PRIME design usually gets better voltage regulation, handles transient loads better, subjectively they seem quieter, and the build quality is a bit better.

I just got the Prime Ultra 850 Titanium, it's very nice but expensive. This Focus Plus Platinum is only 2/3rds the price. I read that the 850 Titanium will actually push more than 1000W. I wish PSU reviews would test how much load a psu will actually sustain until it appears to be unhappy, to have an idea of peak headroom, for curiosity's sake.

Size, if you have the length for a normal size ATX then the prime, if not then the Focus. Have an ATX HTPC in a GD09 and I was originally use a prime unit however my brother gave me a 1080 ti hybrid so in order to get the aio to fit inside the case, I had to use a Focus Pus Platinum for the shorter length to fit an AIO unit.

I wish PSU reviews would test how much load a psu will actually sustain until it appears to be unhappy, to have an idea of peak headroom, for curiosity's sake.
The load tester we use costed about $8000 IIRC. So should you want to put a retainer of $10K, I will make your wishes come true.

On a serious note, if you need 1000w continuously, buy a 1200w. Cheaping out of the PSU is a quick way to kill all other expensive hardware.

Back