Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Gold 850W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Gold 850W Power Supply Review - Seasonic's new high efficiency enthusiast computer power supply claims to be silent through 425 watts of power delivery. An improved fluid dynamic bearing fan helps with this. The Focus sports a cable-free connection panel, and has an industry leading 10 year warranty. And this unit was sourced out of retail stock, just like you would buy.

With Seasonic made XFX branded units strangely disappearing from vendors inventories in Canada, this is great news. I love Seasonic, but pricing for their own branded units (up until this point) has always been a tough pill to swallow. Thank you for your [H]ard work and this review!

With Seasonic made XFX branded units strangely disappearing from vendors inventories in Canada, this is great news. I love Seasonic, but pricing for their own branded units (up until this point) has always been a tough pill to swallow. Thank you for your [H]ard work and this review!
Take any Seasonic unit price. Divide that price by 10, then by 365, and tell me how expensive those are. ;) Even its top of the line Prime 850w works out to 4 cents a day.

I am a big fan of Seasonic Power supplies. My X-850 has been running flawlessly for 4 years now. (A Gold [H]ard!OCP review in 2013 helped me in my buying decision and I never regretted it.) I am pretty sure my next PS will be a Seasonic.

well i was going to buy the SS g750 this weekend but for a few dollars more i think i'll go with this one instead since the 750w version is out of stock :(

Ended up grabbing the 650w version hopefully it's just as good as the 850.

Last edited:
Rare for a modular power supply to be 140mm (standard size). Fits any case.

yeah it's small as all hell too compared to my old psu, the picture in the review doesn't do it justice either.. i bought the 650w version after reading Paul's review thinking i had mistakenly bought an SFX psu but it fit perfectly in my giant case.. currently have it in hybrid mode and the psu fan hasn't turned on at all yet even when gaming for long periods of time. so far my only complaints are the PCI-e 8 pin connections having two daisy chained plugs(mind you i haven't bought a PSU in almost 10 years so i have no clue if this is standard on all psu's now) and plugging in the cables to the back of the psu feels really flimsy like i could potentially break the board inside the psu if i pushed too hard. but other than that i don't regret buying it.. my thermaltake TP 750w has served me well since 2007 but it was time to replace it with something more efficient.

Last edited:
yes this is an old thread
I quite like my SSR-650RM (G650) from seasonic very much so, excellent price when I got it
however the "new models" took a hit unless I am mistaken
the 600FX vs 600RM the RM by spec, amount of connectors etc seems "better"
for example, 600FX only has 1 4+4 cpu power cable whereas the "old" semi modular one had 1 4+4 attached to the PSU and had an extra EPS12v for those motherboards that have say 6+4 or 8+8 power connector required

I think the 600RM is a "better choice" overall, not sure with the higher end units going from G(wattage number) to the "new" Focus line Seasonic brought out
I was looking at some new motherboards when I decide to upgrade and was like "crap, do I have to get another power supply when I just bought this one less than a year ago"
but no, I am good ^.^

650 for a single even very high end gpu and a heavily overclocked Ryzen or core i7 is plenty (probably at most ~450w) at least using air cooling.

I have the 750W version of this power supply that I just installed. Very impressed so far, but the cables are kind of crap. Really surprised they cheap out so much on the cables. I completely get why people get the custom sleeved cables but they would cost more than the PS. It is very small and quiet, have not noticed any coil whine which I completely hate.

Back