Seasonic Flagship PRIME 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic Flagship PRIME 750W Power Supply Review - Seasonic has never been big on marketing-speak. Outside of its impressive specifications, and a list of features, this is all it has to say. "The creation of the PRIME Series is a renewed testimony of Seasonic's determination to push the limits of power supply design in every aspect." Well, let's see if that is true, or the shortest sales pitch ever.

Good review. My 750W arrived yesterday and I'm installing it today. I trust Seasonic enough that I went ahead and ordered before the review.
hehehe

Certainly will keep this in mind when my new system be built in oct/nov

Nice review guys!

That's a good power supply.
The DC output quality being a particularly important point I think because at the end of the day, that's what all the components that the power supply is powering care about.

I've been waiting to get one of these since January! Ordered the 650w model this morning. Thanks for the great review guys!

Only pc component company I'm a fanboy of. I will only put Seasonic in my systems and for others I at least try and make sure they are the OEM. Thanks for the review!

It was [H]ardOCP that got me hooked onto SeaSonic. This Unit looks like a good replacement for my aging XFX unit.

If the older Seasonic X-750s weren't so good I'd consider ripping them out and replacing them with these, but they've been running daily for 6+ years now without a hiccup. Maybe Seasonic is just too good at what they do. (Bias Alert) I have only purchases Seasonic and PC Power and Cooling PSUs in the past, so I don't get to see how the competition stacks up, but I've been trusting of the [H] reviews and buying lots of them.

I ordered the 650 version.

My X-650 is still going fine (its a warranty replacement but is still 5 or 6 years old) and will make a good spare for my rig or my wife's. She has the X-400FL so it would be a quick and painless swap if hers ever conked out. Not that it will.

I fully expect this model to live up to its 10 year warranty. Its great to be able to upgrade one piece at a time these days.

Scene
{ A diner on a lesser used highway in West Texas }
{ the camera pans to a table with one person (Seasonic) seated being held at gunpoint by a man holding a bag }

Seasonic: Reach in that bag and grab my power supply.

Guy holding gun: Which power supply would that be?

Seasonic: The one that says "Bad Motherfucker" on it.

I trust Seasonic enough that I went ahead and ordered before the review.

There isn't much I wouldn't buy without trying to read a trusted review or four first.. but Seasonic PSUs are about the safest purchase anyone can make to avoid this..

psu_fire.jpg

Only pc component company I'm a fanboy of. I will only put Seasonic in my systems and for others I at least try and make sure they are the OEM. Thanks for the review!

Ditto. This Prime series looks like a pretty damn nice extension/premium version of their G series. Love my G550 PSU.

nice review. This will be on my short list when I build my new system later this year.
One place I don't skimp on is PSU moreso than other components. Gotta have quality.

Happy to see SeaSonic's dedication to quality is still intact. Been rocking this SS-760KM for over 5 years now and it has been faultless.

I don't need a new PSU,I don't need a new PSU,I don't need a new PSU,I don't need a new PSU...

lol I'm about to buy an 18" sub when they come back into stock at PE, looks like I'm going to stretch my budget a bit more ... :D

I don't know how they stay in business. The PSU's are such high quality... I haven't bought anything but Seasonic (or rebranded XFX or EVGA) PSU's since I can remember and they run flawlessly FOREVER!

Edit: and I'm a sucker for out of box flat cabling.

Another excellent [H]ard review of the PRIME 750W PSU from Seasonic.

I'm still rocking my Seasonic 660w Platinum.

From the [H]ard review of the 660w..."The Seasonic PLATINUM-660 is the newest member of the Seasonic PLATINUM line of power supplies we have reviewed, and when all is said and done it is probably the best power supply we have reviewed overall. The PLATINUM-660 posts the best voltage regulation we have ever seen, close to the best efficiency we have ever seen, it is for all intents and purposes is silent compared to other components in a system, has outstanding DC Output Quality, absolutely excellent build quality, and even posts better Transient Load responses than we have seen in a long time from a unit of such a capacity."

So yeah, this being a review of a high-end Seasonic PSU I had high expectations. And Seasonic delivered. Again.

Yeah looked so good in my case I had to go get a new motherboard to match it. (Not because my stupid elbow bumped into my stupid heat sink tower and bent my shit up :facepalm:)

Good thing there is a Microcenter nearby

indeed this is an interesting unit from Seasonic. does this use capacitors in the cables or no? doesn't look like it.

I need to replace the PSU I have now and was looking at Seasonics' Prime, just not sure if its worth the price over an EVGA T2 (20%-25%), thoughts? My PSU is hidden so what it looks like won't matter just price to performance/quality (same warranty period).

I need to replace the PSU I have now and was looking at Seasonics' Prime, just not sure if its worth the price over an EVGA T2 (20%-25%), thoughts? My PSU is hidden so what it looks like won't matter just price to performance/quality (same warranty period).
Whether or not it's worth it to you is only up to you. Jonnyguru gives the power supply a perfect score, while the EVGA T2 doesn't quite hit the mark. EVGA Supernova T2 850W Review Seasonic Prime 750W Review

I plan to pick up two of their 600W fanless models.

System 1: Currently using a < 1 year old EVGA G2-650. First one died within a month. Second one has been rock solid but I don't push it. My system doesn't even hit 200W under full load. Wife and I plan to get a UPS solution. The problem with this platform is that it is under spec in hold-up time (something Jonnyguru doesn't test). That means that in the time it takes between a power outage and the UPS kicking in, the system could still power off/reboot. Proper holdup time addresses this, and all of SS's units (even the EVGA GS units) are within or exceed spec. The Prime models are roughly double the minimum spec.

System 2: Wife is using my old SeaSonic S12-500W that I got in May 2008. I'm not worried about it failing, just want a fanless and modular unit in her system.

I expect these two PSUs to last us at least a decade.

Back