Seasonic 850 prime platinum realistic power usage

Autochthon

Limp Gawd
I'm used wattage calculator to spec out a power supply for my max case scenario (16 hours/day) and it came out to ~800 watts and recommended 850 watt power supply.
If 800 watt is exceeded the recommendation jumps to 1000 watt supply.

For the calculation I used:
X570 motherboard
5900x @ 4.6 Ghz
(4)16 dd4 (2 is more realistic for now)
6800xt with mild overclocked
(7) hardrives/ssd's
(2) m2
video capture card
360 aio
(4) 140mm fans
3 usb periphials
mouse and keyboard

These choices are pretty much the outside extreme of what I expect to use.
Most intensive usage my systems usually see are code compiles and occasional gaming.

So .. I originally thought 850 watt was tons and even have the Seasonic 850 platinum prime on order, but seeing that the recommendation hovers on the edge of upgrading to 1000 watt, I thought I'd throw it out here for comment.

While I will probably will have some form of overclock, what is will be is yet to be determined.
Likely nothing extreme. I ran a sandybridge 2600k @ 4400 for 10 years.

My past experience is I seldom really get near what is recommended for max, but then my equipment is 10 years old maybe things have changed.

So what do you think. Is 850 watt cutting it too close?

Last edited:
I don't think it's cutting it close, personally. You just won't have peak efficiency. However, on a Titanium or Platinum rated PSU even 100% usage is basically 90% efficiency. You only have another 4-5% more efficiency to gain at most even if you jumped to a 1kw to get closer to 50% usage. I've worked my 850w seasonic titanium to nearly 100% usage, and it barely breaks a sweat doing it heat/noise wise. I don't have measurement equipment, but it's a Seasonic Titanium.. So I don't worry.

Your planned usage will never load all of your components at 100% at the same time. You're likely to see 60-70% of your maximum expected power usage in gaming, and less while code compiling.

Thanks for the responses. I expected that 850 watts was enough but good to know others agree.
It sounds like even by current 750 watt PCP&P would still have worked out but it must be over 8 years old and I thought I'd start a new build with a new power supply.

Back