Seasonic 460w or PCP&C Silencer 470?

My HTPC's Enermax PSU is on it's way out and I need a replacement.

Both PSU's have similar specs, so it all comes down to noise. PCP&C said that the Silencer is "much quieter" than my 510 SLI (which is only tolerable because I have a noisier vapochill).

I'd rather give PCP&C the business, but the Seasonic's are really known for being quiet.

What do you think?

Seasonic Super Silencer 460w
PCP&Cooling Silencer 470w

Gotta make the order in the next couple days. My current PSU is causing me to miss TV-show recordings. :mad:

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Either way you'd be getting a Seasonic ;)
Oooooooooooooooooooooh
chair.gif

I'm serious - buy the PC P&C, pull the cover off, and see if you can't find the Seasonic double S logo on the main transformer. I could be wrong, it's happened before and will probably happen again, but the odds are good this one's a Seasonic like the 410w and 360w.

Personally, I would just buy the Seasonic but it's your money. Actually, depending on what system it's driving I'd go for the S12's instead.

Here are the specs on my HTPC:
  • Asus P4C800-E
  • Prescott 3.2ghz (oc's comfortably to 3.5 when the PSU will cooperate)
  • XFX 6600 GT
  • Hauppauge PVR-150
  • Hauppauge PVR-250
  • Sound Blaster Live
  • 200gb Maxtor
  • 2x300gb Maxtor
  • Kingston HyperX PC4000
Vid card and cpu cooled by Koolance Exos

I could potentially see getting something more powerful from Nvidia down the road that has hardware decoding for high def.

So here's what the system will look like in another year or so (and so the power supply would need to stay with me too):
  • A64 X2 3800 (really want dual core for HTPC duties)
  • Nvidia videocard more powerful than 6600GT but slower than 7800GT
  • HD Tuner card
  • More hard drives

I think that the two PSU's listed above would probably be sufficient with 26amps on the 12V. I'm not crazy about the S12 line because they all seem to have more than one 12v line. Personally, I'd rather have one 12v line and not have to worry about balancing between lines. Noise is PARAMOUNT on this setup because it runs 24/7

Edit: This PSU Calculator seems to think that my setup would need a 400watt PSU (using a 6800GT instead of 6600GT). So I would think that I'd be ok using the PCP&C PSU. BTW, the PCP&C is on sale for less than the seasonic

You'll be fine with either. If the PC P&C is cheaper, go for it - the warranty is certainly longer than Seasonic's ;)

Cool. Now I just need the PCP&C sale to hold out for another week or so. I've been dumping money into my primary system lately (Vid card mods, 2gb ram, etc) and I need to take a breather before spending anymore on this expensive little hobby.

For those watching this thread:

Background: My computer was sometimes not seeing all hard drives on boot. Also sometimes didn't fire up both Hauppage video recording cards. More recently, PC would crash if I left it paused on a TV show recording overnight.

Update:My enermax PSU bit the dust last night. Total failure. Since I had to take it out for troubleshooting, I checked the stats and it's an Enermax 350w Whisper. Great PSU, but I think I was overloading it with all the stuff I had hooked up to it.

I guess I'll have to be more careful about tossing old PC parts into my HTPC.

Just put in my order for a special order PCP&C Silencer 470. Special additions are going to be sleeved cables and an the addition of a PCI-Express video power cable.

Looks like you had a fair load on the Enermax indeed.

If you ever have the cover off that PC P&C, let me know if that double S logo is on the main transformer ;)

Oklahoma Wolf said:
If you ever have the cover off that PC P&C, let me know if that double S logo is on the main transformer ;)
hehe, you got it. If there's a warranty sticker, I might not be able to do it. This baby's gotta be reliable for as long as possible

I Have a Seasonic S430 and it is extremely quiet. So much more than my Antec True Power 430.

~Novensu

Hair Dryer + single edge razor blade to carefully peel away the warranty sticker. Then you can just stick it right back on.

And next week we will be teaching how to steam open your report card :p

haha, we'll see. It's probably not going to be here until Friday.

Right nown my HTPC is temporarily powered by my Turbo-Cool 510 SLI :D

I got 200mhz extra OC out of the CPU with it (compared to the Enermax that was in here)

I just went with a the PCP and C 470 for my kids rig. She is quiter than man 510sli for sure . She is a keeper

For anyone interested:

Silencer 470 arrived! Does not say seasonic (or their logo) anywhere on the PSU (or in it).

Love the PSU! It's really nice and quiet, plus 28amps on the 12v rail

bubblethumper said:
For anyone interested:

Silencer 470 arrived! Does not say seasonic (or their logo) anywhere on the PSU (or in it).

Love the PSU! It's really nice and quiet, plus 28amps on the 12v rail

Can you post pics of the insides then?

Spectre said:
Can you post pics of the insides then?
Sorry, finally got my system buttoned up after what seems like weeks of having its guts hangin' out

Maybe next time I take the system apart

Back