Seasonic 1k platinum, antec 1k platinum, or seasonic 1250 gold?

I'm putting together a 680 SLI rig on an Asus z77 WS mobo with a pair of SSDs, an optical drive, and a 7200rpm HDD.

This is going in a HAF X case, so cable length is a consideration.

Which of these PSUs would you recommend?

Antec HCP 1000
Seasonic SS-1000XP
Seasonic X-1250

Are there others I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

That Seasonic SS-1000XP looks great. Make sure it meets your power load you plan on putting on it.

You can run that on a 650 watt power supply.

I would aim for a good 750 watt power supply. The only reason to go with a 1000w is if you plan on doing quad-SLI.

Any solid 700+ unit should be fine for you. AX750 comes to mind, the X-750 aswell.

Grab the X 750 on newegg while it's $120, Or go on over to Directron and land the NZXT HALE90 750 for $130, The 850w variant is only $8 more there, not that 750 OR 850 is really needed here. 850w would be great for Tri-Fire though.

I had the Antec HCP 1200 and HATED it. I'd go with Seasonic.

Never heard my x650 coil whine ever, however, my MSI GTX 560 Ti TFII did have really bad coil whine when I used them to fold 24/7

The HCP has an 80mm fan doesn't it? That would disqualify it immediately for me. I'd go SeaSonic X-860 if you want 80+ plat. 1000+W is overkill.

The HCP has an 80mm fan doesn't it? That would disqualify it immediately for me. I'd go SeaSonic X-860 if you want 80+ plat. 1000+W is overkill.

Nah, the HCP-1000 Platnium has a 135mm fan. Much better then the whiney 80mms on the old HCP-1200.

That Seasonic SS-1000XP looks great. Make sure it meets your power load you plan on putting on it.

That's what I went with. I decided that 1000w was more than enough, and that 1200 was well beyond what I could reasonably see needing for the foreseeable future.

At first I thought I'd found the Antec 1000w and made an online order; seemed to go through fine. The next day I get an email from Pricegrabber saying that the item was actually NOT in stock with the merchant I ordered from, and that the order was being cancelled (without my consultation in any way). Today, a week later, I get an email out of the blue with a tracking number for the Antec, again without any consultation. WTF???

Hopefully that's the worst that happens during this build...

These days I would shoot for a platinum series PSU for your main rig. And yeah, seasonics are fantastic PSU's, cant go wrong with one.

These days I would shoot for a platinum series PSU for your main rig. And yeah, seasonics are fantastic PSU's, cant go wrong with one.

It showed up last night. The Jonnyguru.com review has pics nicely displaying the over-the-top nature of the packaging.

I shake my head thinking of the many years spent running fine, stable rigs on FAR less powerful PSUs... it's amazing how things have changed!

I think you chose well. That Platinum 1000 should work out great for your needs.

Back