Sears, Kmart Launch Online Video Store

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix and iTunes might as well throw in the towel now because Kmart and Sears have launched an online video store.:rolleyes:

Television episodes sell for $1.99, while movies sell for $19.95 and rent for $3.99. Most content cannot be burned to a DVD, but users can watch their rentals and purchases on a TV screen connected via S-video jack to their PC. Alphaline uses the RoxioNow platform, which also drives Best Buy's CinemaNow, so the services have much in common, including available film and TV titles.

Mmmmm, the greatness of S Video. Bow down.

Last edited:
haha s-video, SO GREAT! Last time I used s-video was when my PC wasn't recognizing my HTPC, so lucky my card had a s-video jack because that worked good enough to get the driver! but zomg that image was fugly.

Do they really think I will pay 1.99 to see a TV show??? I can see it with my 8.99 a month Netflix anytime I want. For people who are not "HAVE IT RIGHT NOW" then it will fail.

I predict indoor Theatres will have 50% less seats in the next ten years, with the 10.00 movie tickets and expensive popcorn and cokes. Have you been to a Drive-in Theatre recently?

Glad to see I am not the only one who read S-Video and started laughing. :D I seriously hope this is some sort of badly timed April Fools joke by them, other wise...Lets watch it crash and Burn.

Glad to see I am not the only one who read S-Video and started laughing. :D I seriously hope this is some sort of badly timed April Fools joke by them, other wise...Lets watch it crash and Burn.

So $19.95 for a movie you can watch on your computer through S-Video (much worse than DVD qualiy)

Instead buy the DVD for $14.95 when it comes out in the stores, or wait for Netflix. Plus you get better quality with the 2nd 2 choices.

Looks like FAIL to me.

That's it, I'm buying a Roku just despite this horrible crap.
SEARS will soon be a distant memory like Monkey-wards.

First thought: Way to go Sears, getting with the 21st century!

Final though: S-video - Oh Sears, will you never learn...

S-video. I remember I used that a long time ago to play Devil May Cry on my computer via the PS2. :D

I'm probably just a cheap bastard but I am not ready for Digital per rental fee's. Netflix all you can eat price for digital and physical rental works for me. Wal-Mart's (yuck) service is... not all that bad we watched the expendables and there were some errors but mostly it was good. (they encoded the black space [letterbox], why would you do that?) However the price of renting it was not so great.

Also whats with this whole 24 hour rule still? Example: you have 30 days to watch it however once you start it you have 24 hours to finish it. They try to sweeten it by telling you that you can watch it as many times in that 24 hour period as you want. There is no media to get back, whats the rush?

Maybe they thought it sounded cool for marketing, like S[ears]-video?

The only people I can see being suckered by this deal are people who wouldn't know how to hook up s-video anyway and are most likely for the most part computer illiterate?

Maybe they thought it sounded cool for marketing, like S[ears]-video?

The only people I can see being suckered by this deal are people who wouldn't know how to hook up s-video anyway and are most likely for the most part computer illiterate?

This is funny since s-video's entire goal was to be a "one plug" concept to make it EASIER for this to happen.

Oh well, at least I have an s-video cable around for back up, not sure where it is but its in my cable drawer somewhere (maybe haha).

Why the fuck would anyone use this service? Amazon already has a similar service with much better prices and quality. Amazon's VOD service also works with a number of DVD/Blu-ray players and when you purchase a movie you can transfer it to a tivo or other mobile devices. For example, for the movie Salt:

Alphaline
$19.95 to buy
1500k bitrate
Stereo Sound

Amazon VOD
$9.99 to buy
2500k bitrate
5.1 sound

Sears exclusive distribution of video game content goes way back to 1980 - nice to see them getting back in the game

Amazon has some of the best servers around, K-Mart will surely be "k-mart quality" compared to amazon's ;)

And Sears..... running servers? FOR VIDEO!?!?! ahhahahaha, indeed you guys, this idea is a big joke and a sad money grab attempt that will surely never work and be profitable for them.

The fat cats running companies these days seem to be totally out of touch and hiring a bunch of dumbasses to do the work for them.... like 90% of US companies are just, wow, out of touch in left field it seems sometimes.

Holy crap. There's a company out there that's dumber than the one I work for!?

Scary. Fucking. Scary.

It should be obvious to most people here that S-video is not the only way to connect a PC to a TV, and I don't think they meant it to say that it's the only way. Still, their marketing dept. should have rethought that one a little bit.

Last time I used s-video was...um...never! Is that seriously the most advanced technology Sears and Kfart can get a hold of? No wonder they suck.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but DIVX might have been a more promising business plan then this.....

However, what I would absolutly fucking love to see is someone start offering music videos for download. I would gladly pay $1-$2 to download all the great music videos from the 20th century as opposed to hitting up Youtube or finding DVD's here and there. I want to preserve the video genious that is A-Ha's Take On Me in 720p/1080p and show it to my children!

Epic fail. Price, technology and, well, the retail outlets themselves are woefully out of touch with what consumers want.

Who green-lighted this? They should be fired repeatedly.

Epic fail. Price, technology and, well, the retail outlets themselves are woefully out of touch with what consumers want.

Who green-lighted this? They should be fired repeatedly.

Probably the same people at Sears who thought it was a good idea to buy K-Mart.:D

Back