Searching for Wireless Access Point/Printer Server

RemisGodly

[H]ard|Gawd
I am currently looking to purchase a wireless access point with a print server included. I am generally fond for netgear products as they have suited me well in the past.

I need some help deciding what to get in terms of "b" or "g" technology. Is it definitely worth getting the faster "g"?

In terms of a printer server, I currently still have the good old parallel port in use for the printer just because I've never bothered to upgrade. Should I definitely get a USB cable with a USB print server or would it not really matter?

D-Link sells a unit with a parallel port print server for $80 that could work fine but I've never used a D-Link product.

Netgear sells a USB print server for $163 that I would consider getting but it is twice as much as the D-Link.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Not really in a price crunch but don't see the reason in spending more for something that I don't really need.

Thanks.

Because parallel port is horrible with sharing. Whichever computer is sharing will slow to a standstill when someone prints.

Originally posted by Stiletto One
Why not just share your printer through the computer? ;)
Well I guess that brings me to another question.

If I share the printer on a print server, would someone who is hooked up to another windows network at work during the day be able to access this when the computer comes home. Currently the settings don't allow that computer to gain access to the printer that is shared through that computer.

Will this fix that problem or not?

I have the Siemens speed stream 2624. I think it would have everything you want. It is both wireless and wired and had printer sharing. My only problem with it is that the printer I have is USB and to use it I would need a parallel port printer.
I have my main computer hard wired into it and my 2 laptops wireless and have no problems with it at all. I have had it about 2 years not and not 1 problem in that time.

Originally posted by RemisGodly
Well I guess that brings me to another question.

If I share the printer on a print server, would someone who is hooked up to another windows network at work during the day be able to access this when the computer comes home. Currently the settings don't allow that computer to gain access to the printer that is shared through that computer.

Will this fix that problem or not?

can anyone answer this question?

Back