Searching for a World of Warcraft notebook

Both the processor and graphics card on that will struggle in WOW during raids and large cities. And a notebook matching your description will be hard to find... if you up the screensize it'll be easier.

You can WoW on a netbook, I've seen it done. I would not suggest it, unless you enjoy slideshows, jaggies, and just pain in general.

That said, if you're buying a notebook *for WoW* then you're going to have to up your budget and screensize, especially if you're going to be running ff, vent, and flash.

Thx for the feedback, I wouldn't mind getting something a little bigger, like 15in

My dm3t runs wow like a champ, decent frames with decent settings, at 1366x768. Of course, $650 at 13" probably isn't going to happen.

I used to play WoW with Dell Inspiron 700m with everything to absolute minimum and it handles almost everything around decently (~15fps) everyday things like 5mans and quests will be fine. As for raids 10 man wasn't that bad but on 25 it drops to 1fps and I'd be lucky if I didn't die from fire on the ground. Oh and I had to get used to not being able to see farther than 10 yds in front of me.

I know better specs can be found cheaper right now, but bottomline, I don't think it will be whole lot better with the one you found....

If you don't mind 16in this might fit your budget (found on Slickdeals)

http://www.frys.com/product/6122989

For $664 I bought this:

Dell latitude e5400 w/14" LED display
p8700 core 2 duo
2gigs of ram (upgrading soon needed to save money on the initial purchase)
nvidia 9200m
160gb hdd

granted the 9200m isnt really great, but i can stream 720p and play source engine games smoothly on decent settings @ 1280x800.

i may put WoW on it and see how it runs, i bet its playable

This is pretty good for $700:
This one has by far the best specs for $750, HOWEVER.. it's refurbished if you don't mind that. It's actually the same exact laptop I have and it Hauls ass:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4786505&CatId=4948

Bought that exact laptop refurb'd from TD a few months ago and love it. Haven't gamed too much on it yet, but it had no problems with WoW when I played it. I do wish the screen was a little higher res, but for $750 - i can deal w/ it.

Couldn't tell it was a refurb.... it's in perfect condition (except for maybe one stuck pixel in the bottom right corner every once in a while... not all the time).

There are new refresh for the UL series coming in the next quarter, already showned in CES the UL80JT and UL30JT with i5/i7 (low voltage) and 310m, still this are more ultraportable with great battery life than a gaming laptop, but i played WOW on 25man raids with a ul30vt and didnt had any trouble, although was just a couple of raids (it was a gift mmmm i was kinda testing it =P).

For $900 if you dont care much about battery life, slim and light, then check Sony Vaio CW series, with i5/330m should be close to your budget. Also check ASUS X83VP-A1, either would perform better then ul80vt, but this wont give you much more than 2 hours of battery life.

How does the 310m and 330m compare in power to other GPUs? I couldn't find any benchmarks on it? If he is looking to play wow and other games, I think that Asus refurb is the best I've seen on this thread. Battery life might not be the greatest, but you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

How does the 310m and 330m compare in power to other GPUs? I couldn't find any benchmarks on it? If he is looking to play wow and other games, I think that Asus refurb is the best I've seen on this thread. Battery life might not be the greatest, but you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html

310M is bad, 330M is like the 230M / 240M. They're pretty much the same card...

Hmm. So sounds like the 330M is actually a pretty good choice for mainstream gaming. Probably a little less than the 9800M in performance. But I am sure it is cheaper and takes a lot less power.

310M is bad, 330M is like the 230M / 240M. They're pretty much the same card...

On benchmarks does bad, but you can still play most games on it, some you might need to lower the settings, but still is does decent, by this im not meaning this is a gaming machine, but it can still play games. I used a ul30vt in WOW and CODMW2 and both were fine, even 25man raiding. Here some videos for all to judge how a 210m + low voltage cpu handles some gaming,

Asus UL80Vt Playing Modern Warfare 2
Modern Warfare 2 on the Asus UL30VT
Asus UL30VT Review Followup (battlefield 2, pes2010, counter strike source)
Asus UL30VT Review Part 2 (HD playback, HL2 deathmatch and UT3)

just incase you want to use a netbook for WOW

the 1201n will be the best choice if you want netbook

dual core atom + ION

my friend also have a 1201n just like mine,
and we overclock ours over 2ghz

he can do raid on it.
only slow down will be in some big city..

I received a alienware m9750 to play wow on back in sunwell, its still running decently today and I've done all the fights on it and fps drops below 20 sometimes. But besides all that, I would not recommend wow on a laptop. I plan on building another desktop soon. I dont even use the screen or keyboard on this thing. Have a 22" and external keyboard hooked up when I'm at home.

Save your money on an expensive gaming laptop and build a desktop.

Save your money on an expensive gaming laptop and build a desktop.

Depends on your situation, but if a desktop is doable, it's always the best option for gaming. However, some people don't really have a choice. If there moving around a lot, or if you need a laptop as it is and don't have the money to spend on 2 brand new computers. I am sure there is a reason why the OP is looking for a laptop versus a desktop. There are just certain concessions that are made with a laptop, such as less eye candy if you need the performance.

Just so you know, I have been playing WoW on the following specs:

C2D 7300
2GB RAM
Intel integrated 965 video

It runs smooth at 800x600 with all settings down but it does not render terrain. If the ground is part of an object, such as a building floor, the ground in Dalaran, etc, you can see it but not anything else. So unless you know the paths by heart, you cannot see ditches, where mountains start, cliffs, etc.

I'd recommend getting a system with some sort of descrete video card.

Dude I feel bad for you. I tried playing WoW temporarily on a Intel 950 IGP. It was painful. I just gave up and played flash games to kill the time until I got my desktop set back up. But overall, looking at this thread the asus refurb with 9800m GS card is the best. Most bang for your buck at that price point. I've been looking at getting a new laptop, and would like discrete graphics. Let us know what you end up with OP.

Back