Sealed / Boxed (Never Opened) XGI Volari Duo V8 Ultra

erek

[H]F Junkie
I bought another Sealed / Boxed (never been opened) XGI Volari Duo V8 Ultra. Makes 2 total for the collection now:

1587951745145.png
1587951717089.png

Elmy FrgMstr

The shipping box is made from elf hair and the air in the bubble packs is actually unicorn farts. Congrats on finding another. Did they ever use any better capacitors on these during the manufacturing runs?

I just don't understand the "must collect everything, multiple times " mindset. These were over-hyped and died a quick death - having ONE is more than enough!

And The "Never Opened" mindset is even worse: you're NEVER GOING TO USE THIS PIECE OF HARDWARE HISTORY. What's the point of owning a card no one has even heard of, just to put it on a shelf in your garage?

Trying to resuscitate old hardware/build older systems is a lot more worthwhile endeavor.

Last edited:
Looking at the box, I can tell you for sure that has been resealed. They focused on getting the top nice, but the sides are all messed up. A sign of someone not that good at resealing, they hit the top with too much heat and the sides not enough. Thus all the wrinkles on the sides they couldnt get rid of without ripping the sides open.

Looking at the box, I can tell you for sure that has been resealed. They focused on getting the top nice, but the sides are all messed up. A sign of someone not that good at resealing, they hit the top with too much heat and the sides not enough. Thus all the wrinkles on the sides they couldnt get rid of without ripping the sides open.
Even though it came directly from club3d?

no, he was saying back then the OEM seal job was crap to begin with. a statement i agree with. i remember open a lot of electronics from that era and the hand seal plastic wrap job on them usually did not even make it to the shelf out here in farm ville.

I just don't understand the "must collect everything, multiple times " mindset. These were over-hyped and died a quick death - having ONE is more than enough!

And The "Never Opened" mindset is even worse: you're NEVER GOING TO USE THIS PIECE OF HARDWARE HISTORY. What's the point of owning a card no one has even heard of, just to put it on a shelf in your garage?

Trying to resuscitate old hardware/build older systems is a lot more worthwhile endeavor.

People collect tons of what I would consider "junk", but that's the beauty of it. You don't have to like what I collect and I don't have to care about your opinion.

Well looking at the pic of the other one you posted, that looks like an original wrap done on a machine. This new one was done by hand very sloppy, so I question it. It may be original, it may not be. I look at it like all that sports memoribilia they faked because people wanted things that did not exist, so they made it and sold it. Retro computing is now a high priced area as very few people saved this stuff. Being the hoarder I am, thats why I have 5 voodoo 5 cards, and that is why people are paying crazy prices for them online.

Stop liking what I don't like!

If this is not your jam, shut up and don't click the thread again.

Have to be honest, never saw that card before. Is it the first dual GPU? Looks pretty beast and the heatsink/fans on it remind me of the old Zalman coolers lol

Reactions: erek
like this
Have to be honest, never saw that card before. Is it the first dual GPU? Looks pretty beast and the heatsink/fans on it remind me of the old Zalman coolers lol

It was pretty bad, but kind of a cool card to launch out of no where from an relative unknown.

like this
Here's a review I dug up from 2003, for others like myself who are unfamiliar with this card:
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/755-xgi-volari-duo-v8-ultra-256mb/

I like the way it looks! That's one thing I miss about video cards, is now they're covered in a huge shroud, RGB disco lights, and you can't see the components.
They always felt more... techy when they looked that way. Now they're just too sleek, which I get, is for airflow and cooling, but dang they used to look cool to me without being covered.

like this
I encourage anyone who has an interest in old electronics to hit up your local scrapyard(s). They almost all deal with this type of gear and some will let you buy. Big bins of stuff like this you can dig through.

like this
Schrodinger's video card.

If you never open it up it's effectively empty. Its only value is in the eyes of another believer. No non-believer would buy it without seeing what's inside.

And that's all it is un-opened: a belief.

If you never open it up it's effectively empty. Its only value is in the eyes of another believer. No non-believer would buy it without seeing what's inside.

:( I shook the box :(

spine
do you believe at all?

A mm wave scan would show what’s in it without opening the box.

like this
Take it to the airport and ask to look at the scan of it? :D

There are ways to verify contents without opening it, all the bagging, peripherals, tags, instructions etc. should be somewhat discernable but the card will definitely be. That scan and said box with confirmed contents should give it some merit to the actual contents.

Now personally I think the push to shove unverified merchandise, the idea that it would be detrimental to the value thought, is great for those who like to fraud. "Hey how can we get people to give out money for garbage and not know it?" "Make them believe that opening a box will totally destroy the value, hehehehe"

Last edited:
Back