seagates new warranty

Woah! That 5-year warranty wasn't the first for an ATA drive (Maxtor's MaxLine series was the first to offer a 5-year warranty on ATA drives). But it was the first 5-year warranty that applies to consumer-level hard drives, in addition to enterprise drives.

yeah scsi has had 5yr for a long time now, but, this applies to the cheapest of cheap.
guess seagate is confident about there drives.....no wonder maxtor was the first to offer 1year warrenty :p :D

Morpheus256 said:
yeah scsi has had 5yr for a long time now, but, this applies to the cheapest of cheap.
guess seagate is confident about there drives.....no wonder maxtor was the first to offer 1year warrenty :p :D
Actually, Maxtor's 1-year warranty is relatively short-lived in implementation. Currently, Maxtor's warranty on their consumer-level drives depends on the size and cache amount: Those that are either smaller than 120GB or have a 2MB cache have only a 1-year warranty; those that are at least 120GB and have an 8MB cache have a 3-year warranty.

Western Digital's warranty on all of their retail-packaged hard drives except for the Raptors is currently only 1 year. Western Digital's OEM hard drives that have 8MB of cache and spin at 7200rpm have a 3-year warranty. All WD Raptors have a 5-year warranty.

They seem pretty confident in their performance. I havent had a seagate yet but maybe i will make my next hd purchase from seagate.

I was going to get my next hd upgrade (200gb SATA) from WD. Now I'm going Seagate all the way!

damn this sucks......i bought my 80gb seagate hd from best buy during may 25th! damnit!! if only i bought it 5 days later i would have gotten a 5 year warranty on the drive... :(

E4g1e said:
Actually, Maxtor's 1-year warranty is relatively short-lived in implementation. Currently, Maxtor's warranty on their consumer-level drives depends on the size and cache amount: Those that are either smaller than 120GB or have a 2MB cache have only a 1-year warranty; those that are at least 120GB and have an 8MB cache have a 3-year warranty.

Note that this does not apply to retail-packaged drives. All Maxtor retail-packaged ATA drives in North America only come with 1 year. I used to always assume the opposite would be true, like Intel's retail warranty would be longer than their OEM warranty.

Back