Seagate's New Barracuda XT 3TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
Overclockers Club has a review of Seagate's New Barracuda XT 3TB posted today for those of you interested. The OCC crew seemed very impressed with this drive, giving it high marks all the way around.

In just about every test the "New" Barracuda XT outperformed the previous generation product. Higher average transfer rates and reduced access times mean an improved feel once you are in the operating system. The drive specification sheet shows a sustained read speed specification of 156MB/s, which the drive exceeded in my testing. This makes the New Barracuda XT the fastest spindle based drive I have tested to date, giving you capacity and speed all in one package.

while i admit, it does look good, with the massive inflation with HD prices, it's not a good time to be buying a HD.

while i admit, it does look good, with the massive inflation with HD prices, it's not a good time to be buying a HD.

Agreed. $250+ for a 2tb drive makes this a dumb time to even consider purchasing HDD's.

I bought a 2TB WD black 2 weeks ago for $150cdn, by the end of the week it had 4 price increases and was double the price ! I noticed the "office" type stores are still selling externals without the mark-up around here, depending if they have the premium drives inside, it might be worth buying the external and selling/chucking the cases

I would like to see it compared against a WD Raptor drive. Would be curious to see hard data.

If prices were normal, I'd buy about 4 of these for my system.

Never mind the 3TB drives, I want to see the battle between Seagate and Hitachi 4TB drives!

The article is wrong about the previous generation: "That drive had six 500GB platters" vs. the correct "Inside the ST33000651AS are a series of five 600GB platters" from the same blogger in the previous article.

I picked up 4 of these for an insane price, sold them since I couldn't use them with my raid controller and was too cheap to upgrade.

Agreed. $250+ for a 2tb drive makes this a dumb time to even consider purchasing HDD's.
Holy cow... $250+ for a 2TB drive? Might want to keep an eye out around Black Friday. I picked up 3x Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB (ST33000651AS) drives for $150 a pop at Best Buy in April. I imagine they'll be about the same price again come turkey day.

Holy cow... $250+ for a 2TB drive? Might want to keep an eye out around Black Friday. I picked up 3x Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB (ST33000651AS) drives for $150 a pop at Best Buy in April. I imagine they'll be about the same price again come turkey day.

Highly doubtful, given the shortage.

Back