SeaGate ST2000LX001 shows 100% after boot for 10-15 minutes in Windows 10

CTownsend

n00b
Hi, I'm running a Lenovo 330S (not the highest end puppy) but does the trick. I replaced the original drive WD - 1TB with a Seagate 2TB about 6 months ago. I'm not running heavy disk apps, but require lots of space for my work. Very large files, which isn't the issue. About 3-4 months ago when I boot my laptop the disk utilization is at 100% for most of the time more than 10 minutes. I checked the startup apps and nothing like big databases online or starting. Almost the bare minimum. I checked Diskmon and is shows only windows services taxing the drive for 10-15 solid minutes. Anyone else seen this type of behavior?

Please Advise.

for windows yes it's quite normal for the disk to be a tad busy for 5-15 minutes after desktop load (SSD will fix that for you, it reduce it to under 60 seconds, HDDs are very slow at random io)

if tis an SMR drive then higher number is very likely (do you have full part number and cache size)

In my case it is 15-20 minutes. I would also like to hear any ideas to improve this - obviously i am speaking about software solution, not HW.
One way to solve this is not to boot up your PC (i mean keep it running and only suspend. That way you should be able to start working right away or in couple of minute).

Hi, I'm running a Lenovo 330S (not the highest end puppy) but does the trick. I replaced the original drive WD - 1TB with a Seagate 2TB about 6 months ago. I'm not running heavy disk apps, but require lots of space for my work. Very large files, which isn't the issue. About 3-4 months ago when I boot my laptop the disk utilization is at 100% for most of the time more than 10 minutes. I checked the startup apps and nothing like big databases online or starting. Almost the bare minimum. I checked Diskmon and is shows only windows services taxing the drive for 10-15 solid minutes. Anyone else seen this type of behavior?

Please Advise.
open task manager, sort by cpu use and see whats running. if its windows updates, thats normal. you can disable it in services and then manually run updates.

The disk usage that you see in the Windows Task Manager is the disk bandwidth usage, not disk space usage. You see, whatever background processes that you're running as part of the Windows operation eats up a significant chunk of the disk I/O bandwidth. And no 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD can sustain even 150 MB/s, let alone 600 MB/s, even on the outer tracks. And your normal Windows background processes eat up much of that 70 to 150 MB/s total available throughput.

And your 2 TB drive is a hybrid drive. But that would not do you much good as a Windows system drive because the SSD cache is simply too small - only 8 GB total of SSD cache. It's no wonder why normal Windows background processes, in your case, completely depleted your SSD cache, and thus is forced to utilize the much slower 5400 RPM HDD for caching.

Last edited:
he specifically states "utilization".

If the OP were to have meant disk space utilization, then that laptop would have crashed hard no matter what. In fact, if normal Windows processes were to have eaten up the whole 2 TB of disk space, then most systems that use SSDs would not have been able to run Windows 10 at all.

where did you come up with that? did you even read his post?

I looked at the title of this thread to come up with the determination that it is a so-called SSD/HDD hybrid, based on the exact model number of that drive.

If the OP were to have meant disk space utilization, then that laptop would have crashed hard no matter what.

I looked at the title of this thread to come up with the determination that it is a so-called SSD/HDD hybrid, based on the exact model number of that drive.
i dont understand why your talking about space when hes talking about usage.
ok fair enough, amazon.ca does say its sshd until you get down into the details.

Reactions: E4g1e
like this
i dont understand why your talking about space when hes talking about usage.
ok fair enough, amazon.ca does say its sshd until you get down into the details.

Maybe I was conditioned to interpret "utilization" as "space."

Back