Seagate Ships Portable Drive with 21 Movies

LOL! Same here. That was the worst movie since "Napoleon Dynamite".

Ummm... you people must not be very geeky or nerdy if you don't like those movies...

And I suppose you don't like UHF, Blades of Steel, or Balls of Fury either???

Have you even ever heard of UHF?

Segate has sucked outside the server/enterprise market for years anyway. Never did like their consumer level crap.

You, like a lot of people in this thread, no nothing about video compression.

MKV is NOT a compression format, but a container, much like AVI. It's not only possible to store HD video in 2.5gb, but it can go even lower, depending on what your consider HD to be.

In DVDs, the format they're using is MPEG2. Compressing it with something like MPEG4 will greatly reduce the file size. Not to forget, that the entire DVD is not full from the movie, but a considerable amount is used for trailers and extras. That kinda stuff can take up half the DVD.

It's extremely easy to compress a DVD movie down to 700MB with even AC3 audio, depending on the movies run time. Going from something like MPEG2 to Divx or Xvid can make a major difference.

Today with h264, it's easy to get HD video down to just over a gig. Though, like any compression, you lose quality. But, like MP3, you lost the quality, though you can't hear the difference. The same can be said about HD video.

With Blu-Ray rips, some of them are in MPEG2, and some are in h264. I believe most are in MPEG2, so it's easy to see using h264 to reduce the size significantly. Check Doom9 for this sorta thing.

:rolleyes:

I "no" quite a bit about decoding and encoding. It's just fairly dated. I haven't played with MKV much to know about it. As for getting an HD video under a gig, that's an opinion. Most people are content with degrading their HD videos from Blu-ray for the stake of storage convenience - and most of those people claim there's no degradation. Sorry, but bullshit.

Yes I'm familiar with the ability to drastically reduce video size. But not without cost to quality, especially at 2.5gb, much less 1gb.

720p BDrips are about 4-6 GBs , so 2.5 would be pretty bad quality I think.

that's the problem they are not thinking...they get in a meeting room and all smoke crack and come up with wild ideas hoping the crack will help them be creative.

tyrone-biggums.jpg

As for getting an HD video under a gig, that's an opinion. Most people are content with degrading their HD videos from Blu-ray for the stake of storage convenience - and most of those people claim there's no degradation. Sorry, but bullshit.
There is degradation, but not enough to rule out the HD output. When you're sitting far away from your big screen TV, you won't notice the difference.

If you sat in front of the TV, then you'll notice the difference. BTW, take a look at the picture bellow.

Despite the images being HDTV signal, the quality is horrible. If you can consider the above to be HD, then 2.5GB movies can't be any worse.

There is degradation, but not enough to rule out the HD output. When you're sitting far away from your big screen TV, you won't notice the difference.

If you sat in front of the TV, then you'll notice the difference. BTW, take a look at the picture bellow.

Despite the images being HDTV signal, the quality is horrible. If you can consider the above to be HD, then 2.5GB movies can't be any worse.

I don't think anyone doubts it's technically HD. We're just saying it must be pretty low quality HD.

Ummm... you people must not be very geeky or nerdy if you don't like those movies...

And I suppose you don't like UHF, Blades of Steel, or Balls of Fury either???

Have you even ever heard of UHF?
Yes, I've heard of UHF, but didn't see that movie. I did see Blades and Balls and found them to be pretty funny.

My guess, movie studios thought this up and paid Seagate a lot of money to just pre-load these movies on there. I personally don't care either way. I always format my new drives.

Too bad Sony doesn't manufacture hard drives, otherwise they could preload them with free rootkits! :D

Back