Seagate SATA/300 16MB Buffer 500GB Retail box HD for $149.99 *No Rebate* at Frys B&M

morpheus6d9

[H]ard|Gawd
click me

SKU: 4697788
No Rebate Required.
Retail Boxed Hard Drive (Installation Kit Included)
Limited to Quantities on Hand
No Substitutions, and No Rainchecks on this Item.
Limit 2 Per Customer
One Day Only (11/24 Friday)

cool.

is it 7000.9 or .10 ?

perpendicular? how does it compare to the super fast 300gb Seagate?

I bit...not that I really need the space but a spare is nice to have. Thanks OP!

BillLeeLee said:
7200.9, so not perpendicular.

I got the 7200.10 from newegg, same price. (but i have to wait.. which is worth it since it's perpendicular!! )

But it's not retail + terrbile HD newegg shipping. Unless you bought retail as well.

lee0539 said:
arent the seagates really noisy?
No, I have one and it is very quiet. I was very tempted to get another one today for that price.

Stang Man said:
I got the 7200.10 from newegg, same price. (but i have to wait.. which is worth it since it's perpendicular!! )

I see some on newegg that say perp tech but yet are .9. They also show perp tech on ZZF and are not .10 but .9. Why?

I was going to buy a Raptor but might just wait... not going to game for a while so I don't need the speed. Also curious on the loudness on seagates. I know I had 1 and it had a lil of a high ptich hum... I was able to hear it at least.

Are seagates the only ones with perpendicular tech?

yes, i was confused by the .9, .10 as well

ill wait for a deal of a $100 350gb+ 100% sure perpedicular hd

kohan69 said:
yes, i was confused by the .9, .10 as well

ill wait for a deal of a $100 350gb+ 100% sure perpedicular hd

They had a $99 dollar deal for the 400gb seagate .10 series a few weeks back at frys. SATA too.

The one I worked with today from Fry's was a 7200.9. Still pretty zippy though.

These at newegg are 10's and also cost $149 up front.

If my car didn't just get broken into and the stupid ass thieves broke open my steering column totally fucking it up in the process I'd actually have money to buy a couple, but now looks like Christmass will be even harder for me to afford to buy everyone a present and have a little left over for me :( Luckly the assholes blew out the fuse on my starter while trying to hotwire it or I'd be out a car.

Scotch77 said:
what do you guys mean by perpendicular,

Perpendicular recording is a new harddrive technology that allowed seagate to easily produce the large harddrives (500GB+) It's also a reason why no other company has been able to produce a 750 GB drive while seagate has. Supposedly it allows for faster reading and access times compared to an identical non-perpendicular drive.

wikipedia has a little more information on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording

I'd say based simply on the wikipedia article (but there is plenty of data to support this) that PR isn't proven yet. Basically, it allows manufacturers to put more data on less physical space.

The Model # on the box resolves to 7200.9 BUT the drives inside are 7200.10. I bought 4 of them over the last couple of days and they all are 7200.10 perpendicular.

The SERIAL # matches the box but not MODEL #'s
Also there are very small grey jumpers that default the drives to sATA 1.5 but once removed you will get true sATA 3.0.

ST3500641AS....... (on the box)

ST3500630AS........(on the drives)

They should still be on sale all weekend for $150.00 (Las Vegas)

PT

primet said:
The Model # on the box resolves to 7200.9 BUT the drives inside are 7200.10. I bought 4 of them over the last couple of days and they all are 7200.10 perpendicular.

The SERIAL # matches the box but not MODEL #'s
Also there are very small grey jumpers that default the drives to sATA 1.5 but once removed you will get true sATA 3.0.

ST3500641AS....... (on the box)

ST3500630AS........(on the drives)

They should still be on sale all weekend for $150.00 (Las Vegas)

PT
There was a ST3500641AS in the box I got.

I have two of these drives in my file server and they've run great.

Just picked up a third so I can start some RAID 5 action. :)

Back