Seagate Momentus XT, 48 HRs @ the EGG

It would be cheaper/faster to buy a regular 750 drive and setup a smart cache with one of the cheap ssd deals or one of those synapse ssd's.

Yeah but it would be more reliable to tape the extra drive to the outside of the laptop then to use one of these hybrid seagates
more reliable? Not quite. These drives are actually pretty awesome. Had the 500gb version in my thinkpad. Could tell the difference. Reliability is no different than any other notebook drive.

Yeah but it would be more reliable to tape the extra drive to the outside of the laptop then to use one of these hybrid seagates

Are you talking from experience or just out of your ass?

I have the exact drive OP listed and it's run flawlessly since day 1. It is also a nice upgrade from a regular HDD. Would a SSD be better? Yea. But for the price the XT is unbeatable in a laptop.

I will agree with the statement that they once had an issue but a firmware update helped them greatly.

These RAID-0 nicely or would there be issues with that (being a hybrid drive)?

Needs to drop down another $40. It's been around this price for the last 2 months.

+1 for these drives. They are fantastic, I've got three 500GB versions.

Bought one for my new M14X R2. Coupled with a 256GB mSATA, this little baby should fly.

These RAID-0 nicely or would there be issues with that (being a hybrid drive)?
The hybridness is invisible to the operating system so it shouldn't care. You may want to read reviews to get a clear understanding how they work so you can determine if they will benefit your RAID setup.

I got the 750gb model for my new MacBook Pro a week ago (darn you Newegg). After a few boots, the startup time has reduced from the normal 60ish seconds to ~15. The post-login "fire up all my apps" part, while not as dramatic as I've seen in Youtube reviews, is very fast for parallel app loading.

Just bought one of these at Fry's in Arlington TX on Monday for exact same price ($139.99).

It would be cheaper/faster to buy a regular 750 drive and setup a smart cache with one of the cheap ssd deals or one of those synapse ssd's.

Faster? Maybe. Cheaper. HAHAHAHA. $80 for a standard 750GB Seagate. $60-$80 for a small SSD. And then of course new motherboard and processor for those that don't have Z68 or Z77. No this drive was just fine for my perfectly viable 1366 i7.

Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5 Inch SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive
$139.99
With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1591

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

NB: I don't think this is a single use code but I don't know

e: link to drive, thanks to NICKSTAR
Don't forget to add when the deal expires:
11:59pm PT on Thursday, 05/17/2012!

I've thought about picking one of these up, but for the price I could get a full out 128GB Crucial SSD. actually for less :eek:

Then again if a laptop only has one bay for the hdd I can see how handy one of these drives can be! I'm sitting here with my finger hovering over the "add to cart" button as I have one of those kinda laptops :D

Hmm, after CA Sales Tax, this is nearly the same price I could get on Amazon (~$152). Definitely interested in this drive tho...

I have 2 of the 500gb XT's. They are awesome! One in my G73 and one in my D830. No problems with either of them.

Anyone want a fairly new 500GB XT so I can get a 750GB? lol! :) bump for a decent deal if you are single drive bound and need storage on a laptop

Back