Seagate momentus as gaming drive?

Magnus042

Weaksauce
I currently have an 80GB SSD as a boot drive, I'm wondering, would it be wise (performance wise) to use a momentus as a gaming drive? I would be replacing my 1TB standard HDD.

Are you talking momentus or the XT hybrid version? Those hybrids would not really help games too much, they are designed to work in a similar way as the SSD caching is, accelerating your most used and boot programs.

I have a Momentus 500GB non-XT drive with games and it performs decently well. It is faster than my old 1TB Barracuda drive for sure.

I currently have an 80GB SSD as a boot drive, I'm wondering, would it be wise (performance wise) to use a momentus as a gaming drive? I would be replacing my 1TB standard HDD.

Get a real SSD. I have 4 momentus XTs at work. You will most likely not notice an improvement over your current disk. On top of that anything that is not in the 4GB or 8GB cache will be slower than your current disk.

Have you looked at larger SSDs? Buydig.com has the excellent 256 GB Samsung 830 drives for only $159 w/ free shipping right now: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E1SAMSSD256 Make sure you have "Basic Kit" selected under the Alternatives section to get the $159 price

That is pretty close to the price I have seen the larger Momentus XTs lately.

Yeah a true SSD will obviously be best, I just hate buying at over $.50 per GB.
I was thinking a hybrid drive would be a good compromise.
The cache drives seem interesting also.....

Back