Seagate launches 8TB Archive HDD

SATA III 6gb/s but only spins at 5900RPM.

For $250 that's a hard deal to not say NO to.

I can see this being relegated to some cold storage systems, the speed that these drives use make it good for data you will write once to and never write to again. Backblaze type system as it may.

Wouldn't use it in my day to day SAN but for the backups? Sure.

That is 250 euro which google says is about $308 USA.

Hmm. The 8TB is 6 platters. I would have thought they would have used 4 2TB platters considering they are using SMR.

Last edited:
That is 250 euro which google says is about $308 USA.

Give it time to get to that $249 price point and they will fly off the shelf.

Correct my math but this boils down to $.0385/gb? even a $50 price drop gets you to .031/gb!

You can get 3TBs for almost $100 now. I got 2 a couple months ago for $100...

The other thread is full of trolling on Seagate (I'm not a fanboy of them, I buy all brands, they all fail, I have backups) so I'm posting here.

That price for a 8TB is amazing, and this just as I'm preparing to buy 20 6TB WD red for exactly the same price.

However SMR is very new, and I'm using ZFS, I'm not sure that's a good combination, even if my use would be storage that doesn't move much, and backup of that storage.

You can get 3TBs for almost $100 now. I got 2 a couple months ago for $100...

For the price of 3 drives I get:

1TB less of space
2 more open 3.5" bays

I call this a net win in my book especially for the use case I'm going for.

Would I use this in an every day machine? Hell no. Would I use this as a backup drive? Maybe. Would I use this as a 2ndary cold storage backup or a write once store forever? Absolutely.

The other thread is full of trolling on Seagate (I'm not a fanboy of them, I buy all brands, they all fail, I have backups) so I'm posting here.

That price for a 8TB is amazing, and this just as I'm preparing to buy 20 6TB WD red for exactly the same price.

However SMR is very new, and I'm using ZFS, I'm not sure that's a good combination, even if my use would be storage that doesn't move much, and backup of that storage.

ZFS developers are looking to optimize ZFS for SMR if possible which is a good thing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1yqjV8qemU

What they need to start doing is getting rid of the old SATA interface... Replace it with the SAS Connector make all things either NL-SAS or SAS.

Better Performance, I/O, SCSI Command capable, and a Unified Connector... Now that would be a huge WIN!

What they need to start doing is getting rid of the old SATA interface... Replace it with the SAS Connector make all things either NL-SAS or SAS.

Better Performance, I/O, SCSI Command capable, and a Unified Connector... Now that would be a huge WIN!

Adding more to the drive cost than it's worth. I'm sure there will be 8TB SAS disks but at an increased cost.

Adding more to the drive cost than it's worth. I'm sure there will be 8TB SAS disks but at an increased cost.

Sometimes i think we already there but if the NL-SAS component was 20$ more per drive i would still pay it... somtimes its about the quality and capabilities rather than cheap.

And price is about product differentiation, hence the rainbow colors at WD.

Looks like a winner in terms of form factor and pricepoint for the intended usage scenario (archival). SnapRAID would pair nicely with this. Storing and streaming Blurays and other home oriented, large files sequential in nature are a perfect fit. Can't wait to start replacing my 3TB's and 4TB's. I'd bought a few 5TB's with the thought of standardizing on those, but glad I hesitated - 8TB for around $249 is a no-brainer for being able to cut the # of slots in use in my Norco 4224 in half.

Back