Seagate FireCuda Gaming (Compute) 2TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD $74.30

Not really that amazing.

It's a Spinning HDD with a really big cache/small SSD built in to make things 'faster'

Said and done, it's still a 5400RPM HDD.
It's not really that large of a cache. I think they have 8gb SSD. It is a fine drive for a PS4 and that's about it.

Yeah, I was about to say this would be perfect as an internal or external drive for PS4 as well, since the PS4 doesn't really benefit a whole lot from putting a much-faster SSD in them (or at least nearly as much as it should).

I have one of their regular SSHD drives, and it "learns" the files you use the most, and keeps them in the cache for faster loading.

If you play a hard game and you die a lot, the loading screen gets short everytime.
If you play a game that recycles assets each level, the loading times get shorter.
If you play a game that doesn't recycle assets, then the load times are normal for a regular HDD.

I found this video comparing different hard drive load times, it's pretty accurate:

The SSD is super small, so the primary thing it caches are the OS files for quick OS loading. Otherwise, it performs mostly identical to a 5400 RPM drive.

That said, they tend to go on sale regularly for $60. That puts it in line with pretty much every other 2tb 2.5" drive, so you may as well get one of these over the rest if you need one. I believe the warranty is longer on these as well.

They used to make 7200rpm SSHDs and those were quite good. For big file copies, performed like a normal 7200 but for small things you'd get the nice fast SSD speed. We used to use them all the time at work for situations where an SSD was cost-prohibitive and they were a really good middle ground. For some reason though, they decided to start just doing 5400s, which are not great. Also they seem to never scale up the size, 2TB is as big as they get. Back when we were first using them, 2TB was a lot of space, you could only get enterprise SSDs in that size and only for huge money. Now 2TB is still a high end SSD, but perfectly doable.

What I want to see are 4-12TB 7200rpm SSHDs. Those would be awesome for cases where you need more storage, can't pay for a high end SSD, but want to mitigate some of the HDD performance penalty. Sadly, such a thing is just not to be had.

They used to make 7200rpm SSHDs and those were quite good. For big file copies, performed like a normal 7200 but for small things you'd get the nice fast SSD speed. We used to use them all the time at work for situations where an SSD was cost-prohibitive and they were a really good middle ground. For some reason though, they decided to start just doing 5400s, which are not great. Also they seem to never scale up the size, 2TB is as big as they get. Back when we were first using them, 2TB was a lot of space, you could only get enterprise SSDs in that size and only for huge money. Now 2TB is still a high end SSD, but perfectly doable.

What I want to see are 4-12TB 7200rpm SSHDs. Those would be awesome for cases where you need more storage, can't pay for a high end SSD, but want to mitigate some of the HDD performance penalty. Sadly, such a thing is just not to be had.
Essentially product availability comes down to price and sales. Obviously the 7200rpm models didn't sell enough, and the demand for larger than 2TB isn't there as most people are using the larger drives as bulk storage.

I believe they still make the 3.5" 7200 rpm ones

They are okay. I've used them in a few builds.

It's not a miracle, and if you have the money probably just get a real SSD.

But for a budget build they are not a bad option.

I believe they still make the 3.5" 7200 rpm ones
I just checked the official spec sheets and they don't say what the rpm or transfer rate is. Funny thing is I checked out WD's 2.5" black to check the same and they don't list it either. (n)

They are okay. I've used them in a few builds.

It's not a miracle, and if you have the money probably just get a real SSD.

But for a budget build they are not a bad option.
The ones I have in use I only use for cold storage. That is to say they get spun up once a month? If that? Probably defeats the purpose of the SSHD, but that's all I use spinning drives for now anyway.

Back