Seagate finally offering a down to earth priced internal 4TB HDD.

What kind of temperatures are you seeing?

I saw a quote on NewEgg that stated:

I am looking to upgrade my home storage with eight drives, this was the drive I was looking at, but your comments have me worried.

My DMs run at 37-40c in a quiet air setup that allows my Hitachis to run 31-34c. The Samsungs I referred to are now externalized but they ran about as cool as the Hitachis, maybe a little warmer.

It's not significant, it's just hotter than I expected. The last time I had Seagates in a PC, which was quite a while ago, they were the hottest drives I had then as well. I just expected them to run a few degrees cooler. I don't worry about their life expectancy based on temps that low, though. Cycling is a bigger concern than a constant 40c...

Honestly, the seek noise is my bigger concern, and I probably let my annoyance over the noise bleed over into my assessment of the temps which are far from dire. The last drive I had that was this loud that I can reasonably recall the sound of were some 7200 RPM 320 GB Seagates I had which were considered relatively quiet for their time.

Edit: By the way, when I said "the least awful" in my last post, that was actually an endorsement. Excuse my bitterness about the downfall of my preferred manufacturers... I really do recommend this drive ;)

Just ordered up 8 of the 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000's to replace my 2TB Samsung HD204U's (need more space!). It'll be interesting to see how they perform.

Now I just have to migrate data and sell the 8 x 2TB disks before my wife finds out I bought $1600 in disk drives:D

Last edited:
One first French etailer has dropped the price too (156€ including 20% taxes), the same they have in Germany (in fact it's a German company with a French website and French warehouse) but with low shipping cost, so I ordered a pair, maybe the first of a long list since I intend to replace all my 1, 1,5 and 2TB drives and only keep 3 and 4 TB ones.

just received a Seagate 4TB

tested in two computers neither of which detect it
newest of the two computers has a supermicro C7SIM-Q mobo, do I need a more recent motherboard to use a 4TB drive?

incidentally, the drive failed seatools

So what do you guys do with all those "too small" drives?

At home I use them for backups. At work I use them in test rigs since my backups are on a multi drive tape autochanger.

So what do you guys do with all those "too small" drives?:D

I mostly give them to friends. I dislike selling bits and pieces of computers for pocket change - way more trouble than it's worth. If they're too old and too small to be of much use to anyone, they get recycled.

Just got my QTY 3 Hitachi 4TB External Drives. Ran the "extended" test with their tool on each drive, and then pulled them out of their cases. They are now building a RAID-5 array in a new Synology DS413. I am hoping for no failures, but that is the risk you take with getting big, cheap drives.

hi guys, have bought 16x st4000dm000 drives all made in TH Thailand, all 16 are pulled out of CnMemory Airy external USB 3.0 drive cages. all same firmware . 51 4patter version, have now theese drives pulled in a 19" server with a areca 1880 controller .. i got on all drives over night 15 reading errors ?? ok ,,, mystirius --- all drives are oem drives with no direct seagate guarantee

is there a way to deactivate the head parking feature .. the advanced power management is stressing my nervs. in windows with hard disk sentinel or something else i can deaktivate it ( index 254 no power saving ) but after a restart or power loss of the drive the index is default on 128 this means power saving mode with head parking .. i think every 20 sec. .. i dont know my controller can disable this apm feature .. so it would be pretty cool if this "plan B" would work. on my old 2tb green wd drives i was able to disable permanently head parking with the wdidle tool .. but for thoos fu..ing segate drive i have found no way to dissable headparking PERMANENTLY ... i think if my raid controller cant disable the head parking shit i will build the drives in the cage back and sell them on ebay. i paid 150€ per drive with usb 3.0 cage .. cool deal

anybody knows a cheap 4tb drive without headparking ... or with headparking wich i can disable permanently .. do actual hitachi 4tb drives head parking ??..or wd 4tb drives do headparking ??

Last edited:
Take a deep breath spitfire. Your areca 1880 controller will disable APM on the drives by default. No more head parking on idle. I have many 3TB and 4TB Seagates (STx000DM001) on Areca controllers and its not an issue - my load cycle counts barely move. I used to be a Hitachi purist but these 1TB/platter Seagates are excellent drives and im slowly standardizing on them now. Flawless in RAID as well.

I don't believe you actually got read errors on all 15 drives. If you're talking about Timeout errors in the event log, it means you were probably running hard disk sentinel against the Areca, and there's a known bug where harddisksentinel (or smartctl) causes these false-positive timeouts when they query the controller on the drives for their SMART data .. The Areca thinks "hey the drive stopped paying attention to me for a second". Harmless error, Areca just needs to adapt its firmware to working with third party SMART tools a bit better.

Last edited:
ok on four drives of seven i have raw read error counts .. 115 instead of 100 ?? is this bad ?? what should i do ... send back for rma ?? reallocated sectors are ok and no further problems :)
thanks for your mental help odditory :) ... i was afraid that i purchased scrap ...

how could i test efficient a whole array .. or should i test every drive in jbod mode with the hard disk sentinel .. hmm pls some suggestions thx

I mostly give them to friends. I dislike selling bits and pieces of computers for pocket change - way more trouble than it's worth. If they're too old and too small to be of much use to anyone, they get recycled.

They are fine for off line storage or info swaps (320gb or more). I am bit of a paranoid about having multiple backups of my irreplaceable personal data.

ok on four drives of seven i have raw read error counts .. 115 instead of 100 ?? is this bad ?? what should i do ... send back for rma ?? reallocated sectors are ok and no further problems :)
thanks for your mental help odditory :) ... i was afraid that i purchased scrap ...

how could i test efficient a whole array .. or should i test every drive in jbod mode with the hard disk sentinel .. hmm pls some suggestions thx

It sounds like maybe you're having some confusion on how to interpret SMART values. In any case I wouldn't worry about a raw read error count of "115 instead of 100".

What I do when I receive a new drive is run a "Short Self-test" to verify basic functionality (because if short-test fails then usually no point in going any further), look at the SMART values and make sure there are no reallocated sectors, then run a full read/write test on the disk surface either with badblocks (use PartedMagic boot CD or flash drive), or HDTune "Erase" command with Verify box ticked which will write/read entire disk surface. Then look at SMART values when it finishes.

If you want to bulk-test a group of empty disks, you can also create a raidset on the Areca, make sure to set it to foreground initialization, let it finish, check SMART values, then run a "Check Volume Set" against the raidset, let it finish and check SMART values again, making sure no reallocated sectors or anything else unusual. This two step process will hit every sector with a write and multiple reads, and can help weed out a bad apple.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have lucked out on external drives. If they work for the first 100 hours, they have been good to go for years, save for the 1.5TB anathemas from a few years back. The monies saved can go into buying more drives, the added redundancy buying more protection. So far, no lemons from my collection of 3 and 4TB, knock wood. The 4TB 7200's do run a bit warm

Back