Seagate External with two partitions? Whats the problem?

Yz388

Limp Gawd
So heres the deal. I just purchased a 500 gig Seagate external hd. Since my dvd player supports usb, (only fat32), I simply would like to create a partition on the external of about 25 gigs that is fat 32. The rest would be NTFS, like it is now.

I am having no luck getting this to work. Partition magic keeps highlighting the external drive in yellow, even tho it is NTFS. (my computer, right click, properties, tells me its NTFS)

So since I can not create a new partition on it because its considered yellow, (which in the software means unidentified, as in neither NTFS or Fat) I can tell it to format to NTFS, then it becomes purple. I do not have to restart the pc for this to happen even though it wants me to. Anyways, this allows me to create a new partition on it. I tell it the size and everthing, it tells me to restart and then comes up with error number 4 while running its program before windows. Batch error or something. Tried the software, both 8.0 and 8.5 on two different computers, same thing.

Please help, because im at a loss.

Like I said, all I want is my 500 gig to have say a partition thats NTFS 475, and the other 25 gigs FAT32, so I can put my dvd rips on that partition so my dvd player can access it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Partition Magic. Try it in Disk Management: start->run->"diskmgmt.msc" and see if it works there.

I tried that before, and I got nowhere. Just tried again and I realized I had to shrink my first partition before I created my new Fat32 one. Its working doing it right now. Duh. This whole time I could of been doing it right in vista. Hoping that it works...

Back