Seagate External Harddrive 4TB need help on proper tools to remove head please.

Brabbit

n00b
good morning Guys,

here is an images of my Seagate external harddrive. After been watching a lot of videos on youtube on how to do the head swap, then looking at my harddrive it seems impossible to move the head around because this particular piece doesn't have the break to take it of and remove. Do you guys out there know how to loose the head and put back in the new head from the donor? I know it's risky to do it my own since its not in the clean room and stuff, but this is not super important document that's in there. And if you know tools that I might need to loosen the screw that hold on to the head arm please let me know too. I can see that it has 6 reading heads. I already order the plastic comb to help secure the head in and out. After shout out to local data recovery they estimated it around $1500-$2000.

thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5698.JPG
    IMG_5698.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5723.JPG
    IMG_5723.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 0
it just slides over the spindle. you nead to take the head guide on the right off to get enough room to remove. and even then there may not be enough room, but it looks like there will be in that drive.

Honestly, if you've taken the drive apart this far, it's toast. Getting the new read heads perfectly aligned will be quite the feat and due to how close they are to the platters (nanometers), a single piece of dust can hit them and cause further damage.

usually this can be done and make the drive work well enough to pull data off of it. i once swapped a head on a drive in my bathroom after running a steamy shower to help pull dirt out of the air. is it possible, absolutely, would i slot the drive back into normal use? absolutely not.

usually this can be done and make the drive work well enough to pull data off of it. i once swapped a head on a drive in my bathroom after running a steamy shower to help pull dirt out of the air. is it possible, absolutely, would i slot the drive back into normal use? absolutely not.

What is the proper tool do you use to move the reading head off the parking ramp?

Take the entire ramp out. Looks like a standard torques bit in the pic. The spindle screws are 5 point torquesbut hopefully you do notneed to go that far.

Take the entire ramp out. Looks like a standard torques bit in the pic. The spindle screws are 5 point torquesbut hopefully you do notneed to go that far.

So the the ramp and head out at the same time to prevent head bust up while moving? Its actually a good idea since I will have todonor exactly
Same thing. The problem is not sure how to take of the head, the ramp shouldnt be a problem. Do you mind if I can contact to you and talk about this a little further? It seems to be very hard to get some advice on this. Thank you thank you.

So the the ramp and head out at the same time to prevent head bust up while moving? Its actually a good idea since I will have todonor exactly
Same thing. The problem is not sure how to take of the head, the ramp shouldnt be a problem. Do you mind if I can contact to you and talk about this a little further? It seems to be very hard to get some advice on this. Thank you thank you.
I could be wrong, but I think the likelihood of success here, meaning read off all your data, is pretty low.

Back