Seagate Expansion 5TB: Horrible write speeds?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Who has experienced this? This is the STEB5000100; I am currently trying to move around 400 GB of Blu-ray rips to it and the write speed is pitiful (15-20 MB/s) on USB 3.0. I don't understand why this is because my Seagate Backup 5TB has normal speeds.

I'm writing the files back because I don't think I can deal with this speed, and I'm getting up to 150 MB/s. This is just funny. Can someone recommend a similarly priced 5TB external drive that doesn't have slow as shit write speeds?

Sounds like the drive is not actually using USB3.0. Have you ensured that you have installed latest and greatest USB 3.0 drivers? I ran into this problem as well when I was first using USB 3.

I think I will try a WD Elements 5TB; I don't think any of Western Digital's drives are SMR aside from that 10TB drive.

Sounds like the drive is not actually using USB3.0. Have you ensured that you have installed latest and greatest USB 3.0 drivers? I ran into this problem as well when I was first using USB 3.

if your on Windows 8 or higher they are all included, it was only windows 7 i believe that had a older driver but was since updated in a windows update a while back.

Post some benchmarks to begin with, what kind of replies do you expect? At least a CrystalDiskMark or something, it takes you only a minute of work.

Back