Seagate Drive Fails and Now Beeps.

Scotch77

Gawd
I have a Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.10. Have had it for less than 1 year.

A few days ago, the drive started making a beep, just once per minute. I first heard this beep when my on board promise controller was looking for the drive. It could not find the drive. So I changed the Sata cable, still got the same problem. Then tried to run a Seagate diag on it, but since the controller doesn't read the drive I cant. Then tries putting the drive in whilst in windows windows just froze, and didn't come back like usual.

I then called sea gate and the man told me the drive needed to be replaced. I was a tad shocked, as I don't hear any clicking or scratching, just that one beep every minute or so. The drive spins up and everything.

I had some data on there that I could use. Is there a way to get the data since the drive still spins up and stuff. I cant afford the $2400 seagate wants to charge for the recovery.

I've never heard of hard drives having internal speakers that beeps. Especially on the 7200.10 series.

Well, 7200.10's don't beep.

Its probably some form of mechanical failure that sounds like a beep. I've had a few IBM's do that to me.

RMA time for sure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, try connecting it to your motherboard controller instead of the promise controller, just incase.

Seagate Tech support asked me the frequency of the beeps and stuff, So Im pretty sure they do beep. But thats not important, I know I need to rma it,. What id like to know is, is there a way to get the data off, if possible. anything.

does it sound like this?

Yeah, mine died too (400GB). And it was full.

I'm still debating on if I should fork out the dough to save the data... :(

They were probably asking because they wanted to make sure it was really broken...
Sound on the video above is mechanical.

About the data, try plugging it into your mainboards controller instead of the promise card. If that works and is detected then you should be able to use an app like EasyRecovery or GetDataBack (or spinrite if its damaged sectors).

Oh... and if its making the sound on the video above, you need to decide how valuable the data is. If you are going to fork over the cash for a professional recovery, don't attempt one on your own, since the sound on the video is most likely the actuator-arm-thingie doing something it shouldn't be doing.

As the above posts said, it's a mechanical sound, defininitely not a 'built in speaker'.

Good luck recovering your data, if they're important, then I'd unplug it immediately and leave it to the professionals.

I've never heard the 7200.10 drives beep but I have heard others, it isn't unheard of... Being a technician at a local computer repair shop I see all kinds of weird hardware come in daily. Like this old Maxtor that literally plays a little song after it died, a little beeping melody..........

The "beeping" is the sound of the heads being ground into the platters, or the spindle burning through the bearings.

Sorry to bump this thread, but my Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.10 is now doing the exact same thing! Arrgh.

Headcrash? In case of a headcrash, doesn't the head scrape into the platters making data recovery impossible even if you fork out the $3000?

If you do fork out the $2000 US to $3000US the data recovery people can usually recover most everything except the part that was physically damaged. Generally the head crash will happen on localized area (a track or two) of a single platter. However the longer you play with the drive after the crash the more damage you cause..

Are you sure its the drive making the beep and not your controller?
Controllers do beep.

yep, it's the drive. Does the same thing in an outside enclosure and also when connected to the motherboard of a different computer. The beeping is probably a high pitched mechanical sound that sounds like a beep.

Stupid!!! Some days I HATE COMPUTERS. I was just about to back up this drive a month ago and then a friend asked to borrow the enclosure that was holding it so I took it out and set it on a shelf for a month and never touched it. When I got the enclosure back, I put it back in and the rest (and the drive) is history.

The off time is probably the problem. Drives that run 24/7 for months/years do not like to be turned off for long periods of time. My bet is bearing failure.

Back